Why is my resting heart rate so low?

canuckamuck

At my last health check the doctor said around 140 BP is recognised as the norm for someone my age, 85. Mine fluctuates between 120 and 135. Pulse has always been around the 60 mark. Why am I telling you this? I haven't a clue.????

my normal rest heart rate, ranges from 39-48. My heart doctor said my normal rate is 47. I'm 64 years old. My b/p is normally 110/72.

I'm a former ultrarunner.

Last year, i was feeling dizzy shortness of breath. went to the er... pulse was at 34.

diganosed with mitral valve prolapse. i'm being looked at every 6 months.

unless you're feeling dizzy, shortness of breath. you might just have a slow heart rate.

16 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

No medications, not working out, but I help my wife on the tea farm, so lots of hills and stuff to carry, weeds to cut.

It means you have a strong heart and young blood vessels. That is why your heart don't need to pump so many times per minute.

Lower heart rate is much better than high heart rate. I wish I had your heart rate.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Really, I thought that exercise RAISED your heart-rate, and that the quicker it took to get back to normal was a good sign of a healthy ticker.

Healthy will be standing heart rate and that falls when your heart is healthier as you are healthier. Not raised heart rate during or after any sort of exercise. Mine will normally fall around after in shape pretty low. He needs to really check if his heart is at the correct pumping pressure to healthiness. I see nothing to worry about though. 

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Those machines are notoriously inaccurate.

Count it yourself for a full minute while at rest and see what you get.

I did a few counts myself, got numbers between 50 and 56. Maybe I was super chill when I used them machine?

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

How do people know what their heart rate is on waking up ?? It takes me about 2 hours and umpteen mugs of tea to even know what century I'm in.

I drink alcool maybe twice a year some year nothing at all. When I wake up I can run throught walls (unless brick or steel) . It's a bit annoying for people around me sometimes. 

Edited by Tayaout

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I did a few counts myself, got numbers between 50 and 56. Maybe I was super chill when I used them machine?

Nah, those machines are just really inaccurate and especially so for slower heart rates.

The problem is (in addition to often being uncalibrated) the machines count for only 10-15 seconds and then multiply to get the heart rate.  With a faster rate, as long as it is regular, won't much matter but  doing that with a slower rate can make a big difference.

So it sounds like your true heart rate is as usual for you. In which case no need to worry.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:44 AM, canuckamuck said:

No medications, not working out, but I help my wife on the tea farm, so lots of hills and stuff to carry, weeds to cut.

Hope you have a work permit ????

• Haha 1

Pah I can beat all those , went for medical for the driving licence and the nurse fainted virtually when they saw my pulse at 11am in the morning was 42bpm, its  always been about that, they wanted me to have all sorts of tests told em to  bugger  off. Doctor in the Uk took my pulse on numerous  occasions, he never showed any concern except to mention pulse of a resting athlete.

EKG etc confirmed nowt  wrong but they want to label me, Bradycardia, never had any  ill effects and the 60-100 is way out of date  now, some docs  think it should be 50-90 I read somewhere.

Im  gonna  live forever............ oh i dont feel  well just gonna  have a lie  down.....no i am not prone to fainting either or dizziness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Pah I can beat all those , went for medical for the driving licence and the nurse fainted virtually when they saw my pulse at 11am in the morning was 42bpm, its  always been about that, they wanted me to have all sorts of tests told em to  bugger  off. Doctor in the Uk took my pulse on numerous  occasions, he never showed any concern except to mention pulse of a resting athlete.

EKG etc confirmed nowt  wrong but they want to label me, Bradycardia, never had any  ill effects and the 60-100 is way out of date  now, some docs  think it should be 50-90 I read somewhere.

Im  gonna  live forever............ oh i dont feel  well just gonna  have a lie  down.....no i am not prone to fainting either or dizziness.

I would never tell a Thai nurse to bugger off!

Bradycardia is the medical term for aheart rate below 60.

but there are different causes/types.

"Sinus bradycardia" is a heart rate between 40 -59 beats/minute with a normal regular rhythm. It is common in athletes. Occurs in some non-athletes as well, some people are just normally that way.

Rates between 40 - 59, as long as that is the individual's norm and it is regular and they are asymptomatic, no need to do anything. A sudden drop in rate from the individual's  usual to that range  merits an EKG.

A slow (40-59) rate with any irregularity warrants immediate action/investigation as does  rate below 40/min as that is never normal (take the pulse a full minute first though, as it is easy to think a rate of 40-49 is under 40 if you don't).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olmate said:
3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

I would never tell a Thai nurse to bugger off!

we'll find you a thai nurse with a penis then;  respect

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Healthy will be standing heart rate and that falls when your heart is healthier as you are healthier. Not raised heart rate during or after any sort of exercise. Mine will normally fall around after in shape pretty low. He needs to really check if his heart is at the correct pumping pressure to healthiness. I see nothing to worry about though. 

heart rate should normally increase with exercise. if it does not, something is wrong

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

rate below 40/min as that is never normal

Well trained athletes can have a 'normal' resting heart rate of between 30 and 40.  When I was running 10Km a day (and younger) -- as well as other training -- before becoming a lazy ... my resting heart rate was well within this range, when I stopped ... it was between 40 and 50 (now a bit higher due to age and well... not enough exercise and a bit of extra padding).   I have had full and thorough testing included EKG etc. back in that time, and was never 'diagnosed' as abnormal.  My fathers is similarly low (and he is in his 80s with no heart problems), also had thorough testing - and also clear.   There is no 'ideal' heart rate that is applicable to everyone. 

I have always maintained, that if... I were not gifted with 'short levers' (as well as a lack of discipline when younger -- well probably that still exists)... I could'a been a contender ????

So I have to take issue with this generalization...

On 8/9/2019 at 6:18 AM, canuckamuck said:

I got the numbers from the machine at the hospital while waiting. Bp was 110 over 68. I feel very healthy.

You are likely very healthy.

A resting heart rate of 48 is not unusual if you are in good condition.  

But Sheryl is right, you need a once over just to confirm it is not for a medical reason other than great fitness.

18 hours ago, oobar said:

This is correct.  Unless you are a cardio extremist when exercising, anything below 60 is considered Bradycardia.

You don't have to be that extreme. Even walking regularly can reduce heart rate to sub sixty.  But it's really about general fitness.  Usual co-factors are optimal bp, and slim build.

18 hours ago, Gandtee said:

At my last health check the doctor said around 140 BP is recognised as the norm for someone my age, 85. Mine fluctuates between 120 and 135. Pulse has always been around the 60 mark. Why am I telling you this? I haven't a clue.????

It may be the norm but it does not mean it is good, unfortunately.  However a reading of 140 at a hospital could indicate that it is lower when relaxed at home.  Readings in Thai hospitals are not to be trusted imo, as a number of posters have reported odd readings.

All this being said, 85 and going great is a situation most of us will never know!????

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You are likely very healthy.

A resting heart rate of 48 is not unusual if you are in good condition.  

But Sheryl is right, you need a once over just to confirm it is not for a medical reason other than great fitness.

Are you sure that wasn't your queue number?????

23 hours ago, wgdanson said:
On 8/9/2019 at 7:01 AM, holy cow cm said:

Exercise in any form lowers your heart rate. don't worry about it. Mine gets really low when I train for long distance runs.

Really, I thought that exercise RAISED your heart-rate, and that the quicker it took to get back to normal was a good sign of a healthy ticker.

correct, actively exercising should normally raise your heart rate from where it was pre exercise. a lot of exercise conditions the heart/body in a way that can lead to a slower resting heart rate.

during an exercise stress test running on treadmill a heart rate that does not increase as anticipated is considered abnormal (in the absence of medication that would limit hr or a paced heart) 

• Thanks 1

Well trained athletes can have a 'normal' resting heart rate of between 30 and 40.  When I was running 10Km a day (and younger) -- as well as other training -- before becoming a lazy ... my resting heart rate was well within this range, when I stopped ... it was between 40 and 50 (now a bit higher due to age and well... not enough exercise and a bit of extra padding).   I have had full and thorough testing included EKG etc. back in that time, and was never 'diagnosed' as abnormal.  My fathers is similarly low (and he is in his 80s with no heart problems), also had thorough testing - and also clear.   There is no 'ideal' heart rate that is applicable to everyone. 

I have always maintained, that if... I were not gifted with 'short levers' (as well as a lack of discipline when younger -- well probably that still exists)... I could'a been a contender [emoji1787]

So I have to take issue with this generalization...
The sinus node which controls heart contractions has a range of 40 - 150. To get a rate truly below 40, there has to be some degree of heart block present i.e. something is interfering with conductivity from the sinus node or the node itself is not functioning properly.

It is however quite common to erroneously count a pulse of 40 as 30-something. Need to count for a full 60 seconds.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 11:30 PM, Golden Triangle said:

How do people know what their heart rate is on waking up ?? It takes me about 2 hours and umpteen mugs of tea to even know what century I'm in.

Buy a watch.  I know that and 24/7.  Of course a fellow mocked this as being useless.  Wonderful wisdom of Thai Visa