Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Good of you to report back about your change, hopefully a few more will follow.

Now that you're back and settled into your new (old) life are you going to wean yourself off Thaivisa?

Or are you one of those guys?

I've weaned myself off alcohol , cigarettes , immoral parasites , being friends with people who benefit and various other miscreants , along with the people whose whole life and being revolve around sex and alcohol , although  these days , due to their excessive alcohol consumption , their sex life seems to consist of writing about when they had sex when they were younger , after all that weaning , I'm completely weaned out at the moment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've returned to my home country after 15 years as a full time Thai expat. I thoroughly enjoy all 4 seasons, even the brutal 6+ months of winter. I see my parents every day. I will return to Asia eventually.

My only gripe are the ladies available to me are the oldest I've ever dated! I don't find them attractive. I left here when I was 30 so all the women I dated were also 30 or younger. Now I only attract ages 45 or more, usually more and I don't like it. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Thai ladies that are 45 can look a lot younger and prettier than a 45 year old western woman. Often they know how to dress betty and are better groomed. Just my opinion of course and not all. 

although I do feel that there are many more imortanter things to the female species , more so than how old they look and how pretty they are

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

In the UK and also the US there are far to many hand out. You might think that's good but it really traps people into a poor life  or slavery. Subsidized housing, and food. Also bus fair and free education. But at the same time people are kept poor and if they try to work out of it they lose the freebies so don't. Working under the table works for some, others sell drugs on the street corner. Its not an honest way to live. Single moms get more as with more children. So fatherless homes become common in poor areas. It revolves generation after generation and keeps people dependant on government aid (or slavery). 

Opposed, Thailand has some handouts but if you don't work you almost go hungry (or eat at the temple). 

Working make people feel valued.  Welfare tears them down.

Bingo.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:57 PM, grifbel said:

Go full Cheap Charlie and use each bag 3 times....that's a 50% efficiency gain.  Then use the tea bags to reduce wrinkles under your eyes, and finally cut open and pour grounds down the drain to kill bad orders. Use the tea bag string to floss, saving money on dental floss.

Ultra cheap...      Skip tea and just drink tap water!

Don't floss and just let teeth rot and fall out naturally.

• Haha 2

I loved Bristol as a town when I lived there. Built on hills there's a real variety of architecture, you can cycle from the richest to the poorest part in 15 minutes. Plenty of things for young people to do and the countryside is just a stone's throw away. 

But what I can never shake off about the UK is the sense of being hemmed in, penned in, with so many laws and regulations. It's just too small.

You can't build your house anyway you like as you can in rural Thailand. You can't start selling sandwiches in front of a new office block. There's a thousand and one freedoms in Thailand that are just not possible in the UK due to its laws and its small size.

Regulated to death.

And the weather is unbearable. Cold winds and rain, shut windows and doors, an indoor life is no good for people stuck at home such as pensioners. They should be sat on the porch like old Thais, chatting to the neighbours as they pass by.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That doesnt quite fit my situation , doesnt fit at all actually .

One of the biggest joys is not having a stamp in my passport , telling when I have to leave by

It was only a quip, but of course if you stay on Thai Visa too long, you could become a guest of Hotel California/ Thailand- you can check out anytime but you cannot leave.

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

In the UK and also the US there are far to many hand out. You might think that's good but it really traps people into a poor life  or slavery. Subsidized housing, and food. Also bus fair and free education. But at the same time people are kept poor and if they try to work out of it they lose the freebies so don't. Working under the table works for some, others sell drugs on the street corner. Its not an honest way to live. Single moms get more as with more children. So fatherless homes become common in poor areas. It revolves generation after generation and keeps people dependant on government aid (or slavery). 

Opposed, Thailand has some handouts but if you don't work you almost go hungry (or eat at the temple). 

Working make people feel valued.  Welfare tears them down.

It's far too complex to be reduced to a single philosophy.  You seem to suggest that welfare is the cause of poverty?  Surely, as a basic axiom we can agree that the safety net only exists because of poverty?  I agree though that the poverty trap is an awful thing, and that some people abuse the system.

• Like 1
On 9/3/2019 at 6:54 AM, ThaiPauly said:

I was watching a football match on Saturday night and for the first time in my life I noticed that every time the cameras were on the supporters most of them were fat.

This was in Southampton.

Try Northampton. They're even fatter.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:15 PM, daveAustin said:

Steady on j, I know what you mean but there are big uns across the divide in all countries. It is a carb (mostly sugar) thing, not a money thing.

Anyway, trust op is doing well... as long as he doesn't consume lower classed sugar.

Saturated fats, carbs  bread, greasy food, are cheap foods. The lower social classes, often poor are associated with bad dietary habits.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

And they wont charge you

Yet, but that time is coming..........

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

If you've paid GNI all your working life like I assume most of us you've not only been charged but have paid in advance.

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

You know that this is nonsense, don't you? Let's say you are working in London for £10 per hour and you work for 40 hours per week.

Average one bedroom apartment in London perhaps £1200 per month in rent. Not including bills.

You then have to pay your bills, buy work clothes, pay for transport and eat from that.

Would you feel valued?

It's easy to sit in an ivory tower and proclaim. But when you are under the cosh of a zero hours contract, don't have the freedom to supplement your income nor have any influence over government policy, what are you supposed to do?

I should add that I'm not in the position of being under a zero hours contract etc. But I am not so divorced from reality to see that very many are in that position and would not have a way out of it, if it weren't for 'freebies'.

Welfare doesn't tear people down. There are always winners and losers. People who owned houses and saw the value go up and enjoyed taking equity from said property were happy. People looking to get on the property ladder, dreadfully unhappy.

Many years ago, you could leave school, get yourself a job, get yourself a council flat and get on with your life. You might even have a job for life. So fewer worries about taking on a mortgage.

These days, you need to live with your parents until your are thirty, before you can even raise a deposit for a property. Forget about getting a council flat. There is little security of employment, but yet you can still be tied into a twenty five year mortgage.

So your soundbite of welfare tearing people down bears no relation to the reality on the ground.

Welfare isn't the problem. Populist soundbites only excite people who cannot be bothered to think for themselves.

I've lived all my life in London.

There are way too many people chasing way too few homes and way too few decent well paying jobs and yet more people are being allowed to pour in every day.

The Grenfell Tower tragedy summed things up. Immigrants who were mainly claiming welfare being packed into a block of flats from which there was no escape in the event of a fire.

In 1945 there were 2.5 billion people in the world. There are now around 7.5 billion and many of them want to live in our comparatively prosperous Western nations.

We used to hear of the black townships in South Africa yet overlook the fact that there are now black townships in London. The violent crime that was associated with these African ghettos is now being replicated in London.

Someone earlier cracked a joke about stab vests. It's no laughing matter if you live near one of these London townships particularly if you have sons or grandsons.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I've lived all my life in London.

There are way too many people chasing way too few homes and way too few decent well paying jobs and yet more people are being allowed to pour in every day.

The Grenfell Tower tragedy summed things up. Immigrants who were mainly claiming welfare being packed into a block of flats from which there was no escape in the event of a fire.

In 1945 there were 2.5 million people in the world. There are now around 7.5 million and many of them want to live in our comparatively prosperous Western nations.

We used to hear of the black townships in South Africa yet overlook the fact that there are now black townships in London. The violent crime that was associated with these African ghettos is now being replicated in London.

Someone earlier cracked a joke about stab vests. It's no laughing matter if you live near one of these London townships particularly if you have sons or grandsons.

Didn't they officially quit calling a billion, a million about 20 years ago?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

You're unlikely to need a condom in London unless you've got plenty of money.

Mind you things aren't much cheaper in Thailand any more.

not quite true

i went to visit the london dungeon museum. in one on the exhibits there was a woman bent over who lifted up her skirt and panties when i came in. i did her, and she said that was the kind of abuse a prisoner would expect in a real world dungeon scenario.

• Haha 1