Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

On 10/14/2019 at 8:56 PM, steven100 said:

interesting …..  years ago, say mid 60's 70's even 80's  you never really heard of street violence or gang related stabbings.   I believe it was because most youth were raised to respect society, the police and older folk in general,  and your parents would go ballistic if you got into any serious trouble.  

As a youth, I knew what was right and what was wrong …….   

so please tell me why the youth of today are not intelligent enough to understand this equation … 

Agreed, when i was a lad about 50/60 years ago i found a dead grass snake and found it funny to throw it at the girls as we got of the school bus, that evening the village policeman rode up to the door and i got a right telling off from him, but that was nothing to what i went through after he  had left,  bringing a policeman to the door indeed.

• Like 2

The grass is greener....................................................................until it isn't.

wow.....................it's great nobody speaks English.   oh my, i can't talk with anyone.

wow...................nobody cares i can see 100 bar girls a week.    oh boy, i need some medicine

wow...................hot everyday.......................omg, it's soo hot every day

wow....................they look at me and smile.....................asking for money again, omg

wow..................so beautiful, the jungle.........................zzzzzz, more jungle

wow...................this food is soo spicy.........................really, rice again?  

wow...................my room is soo cheap......................wow, my room is soooooooooooooooooo cheap.  

wow..................she really likes me..............................oh, i don't have enough money for her grandparents.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

The grass is greener....................................................................until it isn't.

wow.....................it's great nobody speaks English.   oh my, i can't talk with anyone.

wow...................nobody cares i can see 100 bar girls a week.    oh boy, i need some medicine

wow...................hot everyday.......................omg, it's soo hot every day

wow....................they look at me and smile.....................asking for money again, omg

wow..................so beautiful, the jungle.........................zzzzzz, more jungle

wow...................this food is soo spicy.........................really, rice again?  

wow...................my room is soo cheap......................wow, my room is soooooooooooooooooo cheap.  

wow..................she really likes me..............................oh, i don't have enough money for her grandparents.

That "wow" stuff, is it expensive....?  ????

• Haha 2
On 9/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Perhaps rent is cheaper in Thailand, but for what? Looking at a sea that you can't swim in? Breathing hazardous air, garbage laden streets, tap water that is not safe, dirty food, the most dangerous roads in the world, what about the other things u didn't mention, food more expensive in supermarkets, booze prices etc etc etc.

corrupt police, visa rules.

lets hear u rave about these.

were all waiting.

He also missed out healthcare,education costs(if you,ve got kids)

Edited by kingdong
On 10/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, steven100 said:

interesting …..  years ago, say mid 60's 70's even 80's  you never really heard of street violence or gang related stabbings.   I believe it was because most youth were raised to respect society, the police and older folk in general,  and your parents would go ballistic if you got into any serious trouble.  

As a youth, I knew what was right and what was wrong …….   

so please tell me why the youth of today are not intelligent enough to understand this equation … 

So there were no teddy boys,mods  and rockers,and skinheads?you must have led a sheltered life.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

I will admit that I have been looking to buy a second home in the US and spending half the year there.. for many of the same reasons.  Basic wine and steak seems so special after living here full time for 6 years.  Even good steak fries.. cheap as chips, no pun intended, in the US.. 800 Gram bag is 55 THB... the shoestring they serve here are more like prison food.  Pop's 200 dollar Internet TV bill is nothing to sneeze at, and for 250k, they are 80 miles from DC ( a good thing), but there are numerous Africans in their hood, but no crime. 

3 hours ago, saengd said:

after we leave we rent the flat out for six months

How easy do you find it to do that - IE find suitable new tenants for only 6 months and the check in/check out etc? 

Do you manage it all by yourselves including advertising?  

On 10/23/2019 at 2:04 AM, roo860 said:

Well said, my wife had another 4 month stay in the UK this year, she is always amazed at the prices when out shopping, especially the clothes!!

Clothes in both the UK and Thailand are about the same price . Although the cheap clothes in the UK tend to be better quality than the cheap clothes in Thailand and its easier to find Westerner sized clothes in the UK

30 minutes ago, TC22 said:

Just wondering what type of visa those people only spending part of the year (6 - 8 months) In Thailand find most useful, given medical insurance and money in the bank requirement?

Insurance isn't required for those on extensions.  Very rarely, have I heard of anyone having a problem using a retirement extension to live half the year here..maybe even more rare than someone being told fixed deposits aren't allowed.  But, even if you work online here 50 hours per week, and work 70 hours per week back home.. the one and only answer to ever give about your occupation is Retired.. because by their logic, retirement extensions are for those, who are retired.. why would you ever contradict that to immigration?