Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

They have sunshine in the uk you know !!

I saw it once, I think it was 1979 emoji51.png

The UK had a nice hot summer this year , hot and sunny everyday for all summer , often hotter in the UK than it was in Thailand .

Yes, it gets cold in the winter , but there are sometimes difficult measures that you can take to combat the cold  , you can go to the shops, spend some money and buy warmer clothes . 

If that task isnt difficult enough, you also need to wash and dry those clothes  , checking the weather forecast and washing and drying the clothes outside on a non raining day .

So difficult to keep warm and clean ...............................

7 hours ago, TC22 said:

Just wondering what type of visa those people only spending part of the year (6 - 8 months) In Thailand find most useful, given medical insurance and money in the bank requirement?

1 Tourist visa = 3 months .

2 land border crossings = 4 months .

The UK had a nice hot summer this year , hot and sunny everyday for all summer , often hotter in the UK than it was in Thailand .
   Yes, it gets cold in the winter , but there are sometimes difficult measures that you can take to combat the cold  , you can go to the shops, spend some money and buy warmer clothes . 
   If that task isnt difficult enough, you also need to wash and dry those clothes  , checking the weather forecast and washing and drying the clothes outside on a non raining day .
  So difficult to keep warm and clean ...............................

Yup, I was only joking about the weather.
I left the uk in ‘95 but visited occasionally, recently that has been more frequent as my father is getting on a bit.

I lived in Yorkshire , the Dales and Lake District makes it a very pleasant visit in the summer months. Never tire of the beautiful scenery.
Unfortunately I could only visit Feb and Oct this year so although the weather wasn’t at its worst it did rain an awful lot this last couple of weeks.

I much prefer the quick downfall in LOS to those drizzling grey October days and it’s downhill from here onwards.
Probably book my next visit for May next year.
On 8/10/2019 at 4:16 AM, GalaxyMan said:

Agreed. I don't like the idea of the government knowing where and how I spend my money. I prefer to pay cash whenever possible. If they go to a cashless society, then like the internet, they can just throw a switch and turn it off, meaning you have no money. Same for the 'cloud'; I don't trust it. I prefer to keep my information/data on my own computer, especially in light of the near-constant 'data breaches' which expose hundreds of millions of people's personal information.

Hmmm. Facial recognition via  cctv.  Data  on  your  own  comp?  Think  vacuam cleaner  via  anti virus.  Cash payments?  For an instant you avoid  personal recognition  but  all other data as to what wheretime is still recorded. And as an abstainer  from use of a  card? Suspicious  type !  Zoom in ! ????????

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Hmmm. Facial recognition via  cctv.  Data  on  your  own  comp?  Think  vacuam cleaner  via  anti virus.  Cash payments?  For an instant you avoid  personal recognition  but  all other data as to what wheretime is still recorded. And as an abstainer  from use of a  card? Suspicious  type !  Zoom in ! ????????

Clear as mud.

????

On 10/26/2019 at 1:33 AM, bannork said:

And they don't dry so quickly or cheaply.

Its takes a bit bit more time to dry , but same price if you hang your clothes outside

I washed my clothes this morning , hung them on my mums washing line and now they are dry (tonight) 

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

You can't beat a good mum and you're are lucky to have her and her you , my mum is long gone but lives forever in my heart. I'd wager a bet of lot of burned bridges Thai expats have nothing to go back to sadly. 

Yeah, my dear old mum is getting on a bit and its a fact that no one lives forever .

I am going to make the most of our time left together and stay in her house in the UK as much and as long as possible .............whilst shes in Barbados :).........and go to thailand for a holiday when she gets back ????

11 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

You can't beat a good mum and you're are lucky to have her and her you , my mum is long gone but lives forever in my heart. I'd wager a bet of lot of burned bridges Thai expats have nothing to go back to sadly. 

Yes, my lovely Mum is also long gone. I can still see her putting out the washing, then having to take it all in again 10 minutes later.

A bitter, sweet memory.....

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yes, my lovely Mum is also long gone. I can still see her putting out the washing, then having to take it all in again 10 minutes later.

A bitter, sweet memory.....

I have done that already a few times, then had a good idea , leave the washing under a roof outside , then realised that in the UK, the rain dosent come straight down, it sort of comes down sideways . The rain comes across, rather than straight down 

• Confused 1
19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I have done that already a few times, then had a good idea , leave the washing under a roof outside , then realised that in the UK, the rain dosent come straight down, it sort of comes down sideways . The rain comes across, rather than straight down 

Played in a golf tournament in Scotland, 2003. Rain on the third day was damn near horizontal. We Aussies are used to vertical rainfall.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That will be the wind then.....

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Played in a golf tournament in Scotland, 2003. Rain on the third day was damn near horizontal. We Aussies are used to vertical rainfall.

Around that time I played St Andrews, Old Course, in 4 Club with snow flurries. Temperature 3 degrees with a significant windchill factor.

The 17th, Road Hole, took 3 drivers, a chip and 2 puts for a point.

Just now, sanemax said:

No, I think that its because the UK is on the side of the globe and thus as the rain comes down from the top , it hits the UK at a 90 degree angle 

Surely that would vary from winter to summer, depending on the distance from the sun........... or even Uranus!

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, I think that its because the UK is on the side of the globe and thus as the rain comes down from the top , it hits the UK at a 90 degree angle 

Max ,  are your sure , you are sane  ..

Links ? ...

Edited by elliss
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Me for one