How Many Are “Stuck” Here With No Way Out

bowerboy

6 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

It seems like he made the right move, a little older but wealthy, and can do what he wants now, I've seen far too many men come here at a young age to live the dream,most for the gals,  some do okay, but the vast majority don't. Run low on cash, especially now as the currency's have tanked. Waste away drinking all day, eating 40 baht meals at food courts, doing visa runs because they can't afford the $800 k. 

Not so much a dream anymore. 

thats likely a self control issue that builds over time. most wont make the move if money is not available.

your going to end up like that no matter how much you come with if you have no self control and get a new girl every night, sit around drinking etc.

Edited by fhickson

On 8/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, FredGallaher said:

Finding a reasonable good looking man 20+ years older might be OK in Thailand but its robbing the cradle in the US. Thais also respect older people, my father was quite taken by my wife and told me so. She never complained that he was an old man, but respectfully called him Dad.

he may still have a few years left in him

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:50 AM, Nemises said:

Where in Aus did you go?

+1

I went back to the gold coast and it was great very friendly staff in hotels bars and resteraunts even at the local supermarkets, clean air and world class beaches. Will be my final home when I'm eventually done with Thailand

7 hours ago, fhickson said:

where do all these thai guys go after they sire children and break up with the girlfriend?

do they become tuk tuk drivers?

Do you think they really break up, or just hide, then take part of the wife's takings made from the Falang husband

• Like 1

On 8/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, thasoss said:

returning to one's homeland after a decade or more away can be difficult not least cos you find the society you originally left has changed as have the people and of course so have you.

I returned to australia and felt like a fish out of water.Found the place riddled with drug addicts,selfish people especially baby boomers with a sense of entitlement from the welfare state.Hated the place...nice country if it was devoid of human habitation.

Get 200 km inland from the coastline, and you'll find there aren't too many people to vex you If you stay away from river systems.

20 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Other than financial security, there is no attraction for 20 year old gals to old men. Just like a 20 year old guy being attracted to an old lady. Never seen a young man walking around with a 70 year old Thai woman.  It's ok to enjoy the moment, but dont be dillusional thinking your gal is there for any other reason.

ok, I'm getting my popcorn, this should start a <deleted>storm.

my gals different hahaha.

This week's award for a statement of the bleeding obvious goes to......

• Like 2

On 9/10/2019 at 9:54 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Other than financial security, there is no attraction for 20 year old gals to old men. Just like a 20 year old guy being attracted to an old lady. Never seen a young man walking around with a 70 year old Thai woman.  It's ok to enjoy the moment, but dont be dillusional thinking your gal is there for any other reason.

ok, I'm getting my popcorn, this should start a <deleted>storm.

my gals different hahaha.

there is a subset that gets off on much older partners. i have seen this in short term flings where money was not involved.

its more common young girl - older man, then it is vice versa.

whether its security seeking deep down ill leave that one to the shrink.

Not stuck but it’s difficult to move. I have a lot of assets here that have been slow to sell and difficult in some cases. 

I originally thought Thailand would be my home but wow was I wrong. You couldn’t pay me to spend the rest of my years here dealing with immigration nonsense, deadly roads that are getting more and more crowded, and hopeless pollution. I deserve better and earn enough to move without worry.

My heart goes out to those of you who are stuck. Thailand will turn on you when you least expect it, so I do wish you luck.

Where do you suggest those still able to get out, move to?

6 hours ago, Nemises said:

Where do you suggest those still able to get out, move to?

Exactly 1 month ago I moved from Thailand to live in the town of Luang Prabang, in north Laos.  so far, it was the best relocation decision that I've ever made.  Sure, all countries/cultures have issues, but so far all paperwork has been sweet and easy, all people friendly and helpful, with genuine smiles.

Blood pressure = 110/75, resting heart-rate < 50, looking good ????

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Exactly 1 month ago I moved from Thailand to live in the town of Luang Prabang, in north Laos.  so far, it was the best relocation decision that I've ever made.  Sure, all countries/cultures have issues, but so far all paperwork has been sweet and easy, all people friendly and helpful, with genuine smiles.

Blood pressure = 110/75, resting heart-rate < 50, looking good ????

I saw a pic of you before, very fit looking at 60????

I'm the opposite... finally escaped the west and all it's overbearing bureacracy and onerous costs of living.

Not tied to anywhere, after years of being held back by stuff, it's all buried in a cave, and I live/travel light.

Probably done it at the worst time ever, but life in the west coughing up everything I earned in high tax, high costs for accommodation (either rent, or mortgage interest, extra tax), and transport (cars, trains, buses insurance), and just basic shopping (clothes, supermarket), feeling like everyone else is doing better despite my apparently good education and good salary. I just want to keep some of the money I earn, instead of being told I'm well off and being mugged and having nothing left and not much to look forward to.

It's hard to get any kind of business off the ground, so many financial and regulatory barriers to entry; Europe seems to want to crush entrepreneurism and make you give up and opt for a life on benefits.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:54 PM, bwpage3 said:

Total rubbish

I have first hand experience, what facts are you spouting from?

Thailand International schools are not world class anything

Private High Schools in the US top ten can run 1,594,650 baht per year. There isn't anything remotely close in Thailand or anywhere else.

Why do you think the majority of IVY league colleges are made up of Americans?

<2% of the students at Harvard are Thai (And those are probably the corrupt rich ones that can afford it)

Totally disagree, not being flippant. You need to give the kids the best you can. BS about Thai schools being bad, if the kids are ok then they will get noticed, maybe you back doored it.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 4:59 PM, brokenbone said:

im stuck in the way of back pain, its too horribly painful to relocate with all that entails

Irrelevant to the discussion as your condition is personal and not due to Thailand. Wherever you were in the world you would have the same problem.  Its not Thai related. If you were broke in California or Qatar you would have the same problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainNemo said:

I'm the opposite... finally escaped the west and all it's overbearing bureacracy and onerous costs of living.

Not tied to anywhere, after years of being held back by stuff, it's all buried in a cave, and I live/travel light.

Probably done it at the worst time ever, but life in the west coughing up everything I earned in high tax, high costs for accommodation (either rent, or mortgage interest, extra tax), and transport (cars, trains, buses insurance), and just basic shopping (clothes, supermarket), feeling like everyone else is doing better despite my apparently good education and good salary. I just want to keep some of the money I earn, instead of being told I'm well off and being mugged and having nothing left and not much to look forward to.

It's hard to get any kind of business off the ground, so many financial and regulatory barriers to entry; Europe seems to want to crush entrepreneurism and make you give up and opt for a life on benefits.

Europe crushes entrepreneurship  not the UK. The latter is the least regulated country in Europe regarding setting up a business, especially for foreigners. In Thailand its very difficult.

$1000 a month sounds great. But who is going to pay for it? Governments don't have money except that which they take from other people via taxes.

Ah yes but if the greedy 1% paid their taxes and there was a cap on excessive greed then perhaps we could all live in a more equal scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Europe crushes entrepreneurship  not the UK. The latter is the least regulated country in Europe regarding setting up a business, especially for foreigners. In Thailand its very difficult.

I think it's mainly the cost of ...everything... in the UK for me... I feel like there is way too much unnecessary dead money costs, and parasites operating off various species of rent (I include interest, and "fees" and taxes and things... there's way too much of it... like <deleted> is "stamp duty" for, for example?). I mean finally the whole letting agent scam has been overturned, with all those hollow fees for nothing. That's my problem with the UK, it's indicative of low productivity... just charging layers upon layers of compulsory or semi-compulsory fees/taxes/interest/rent/insurance/etc... for nothing, it's parasitic, and inefficient, and places barriers and burdens on businesses. I'm sure the EU's worse. By being out of it, it's possible to legally avoid quite a lot, and finally keep a reasonable amount of the fruit of your own labour, and recover from ripoff Britain.

• Like 2

your body starts deteriorating much faster as you age. 10 years is a huge difference after 40. when your younger you dont notice it much.

apart from the obvious aches and pains and little john issues, also ability to be happy in a new location and mental adaptability. can lead to various hardships and resulting complaining about things as well.

That is true generally but if you have the initiative and drive you can channel all your energy into prolonged health and not be concerned about a high bank balance on your death bed. I’ve witnessed so many die having a great bank balance but an unadventurous life. I’m 67 and feel plus dare I say look 15 years younger because at the end of the day happiness and health overrides the bank balance

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2019 at 11:39 PM, NCC1701A said:

yes you are stuck. and even if you were in a western country changing jobs at 45 is difficult and in your fifties almost impossible. changing cities, schools is horribly difficult.

and sorry to say your children are really going to have a hard time trying to live in the west.

i think you need to stop thinking about leaving and get a house with no mortgage or debt in Thailand and pray to god nothing happens to your wife.   

There is also the scenario of retirement and where is the money coming from ??

I am currently in OZ sorting my pension, but you need 35 years of work to qualify for what is not a great deal of weekly income but you can live a reasonable life with it.  I couldn't see myself surviving without it.

Your future financial needs are your biggest issue and medical care for the long term and latter years.

If you can secure an English pension, you should be OK but that is also not so easy these days.

Good luck 

On 9/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, kwonitoy said:

I'm becoming more unstuck every day

-Got sole parental power (sole custody) with my son ( 5 years ago)

-Got a divorce from my Issan peasant wife ( July 4 this year, independance day)

-Sold everything with my name one it (ongoing)

-All money transfered back to an offshore bank (also ongoing)

End of the school year for my son and its AMF (AdiosMutherf##ker)

So Long and thanks for all the Fish

My son will be raised as a Canadian, and he wants to go.

This whole experiment in Thailand (over 23 years) has cost me massive amounts of money, 

But, at the end of it I got a beautiful son, that I love more than anything, and it is returned daily

*PRICELESS*

A bit similar to me, been here 20 years and have a boy and girl, if it wasn't for them I probably would have shot myself by now, as haven't achieved anything else living here, unless porking a few hundred girls and getting drunk on cheap beer is an achievment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1