its hard to get good fish n chips

georgegeorgia

On 8/11/2019 at 8:14 AM, Jip99 said:

..... if Liam is cooking.....

Liam has sold up......new owner Ian has kept on the same thai staff and they do the cooking as before when Liam had trained them up....:thumbsup:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

What is the fish they usually use in Australia}

isnt it the vietnamese catfish?

why cant they use that in Thailand?

what is the fish they use in Thailand?

also regarding the chips ( not fries) where are they from?

Could be Barramundi (Pla Kapong), or, Red Emperor.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote "Everyone has opinion what makes good fish & chips, to me its good batter

Yet, one of the good things about the Jolly Friar was that they offered Breadcrumbed as an alternative to Battered, and it was better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petermik said:

Liam has sold up......new owner Ian has kept on the same thai staff and they do the cooking as before when Liam had trained them up....:thumbsup:

You don't see a "farang" cooking there anymore, thats right. That thai guy doing the all the cooking is surprisingly performing pretty well.
But I noticed a change between my trips in nov '18 and june '19.

The fried food came with an unpleasant smell and taste, so I refrained from eating anything deep fried there anymore.
Most likely they changed the oil to a cheaper one.......

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, spidermike007 said:

We are not exactly talking about Atlantic Cod here. They use fish that we have never heard of, raised on a very toxic fish farm. Pangasius? What the hell? No wonder it does not taste like much. Very hard to find really good wild fish in Thailand. Also, they use very toxic oil like soybean oil, for the chips and fish. Might taste ok, but it will harden your arteries in just a few years time. 

Agreed. I have never found anything resembling NZ fish and chips ( or should that be fush and chups? ) in Thailand. The fish is some sort of mushy stuff with no texture and the batter is the only good part. Chips- good chips in loads of places.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed. I have never found anything resembling NZ fish and chips ( or should that be fush and chups? ) in Thailand. The fish is some sort of mushy stuff with no texture and the batter is the only good part. Chips- good chips in loads of places.

There are some places around town that use frozen cod or haddock. But the prices are quite high by local standards (around 250B or more).

20 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

There are some places around town that use frozen cod or haddock. But the prices are quite high by local standards (around 250B or more).

Kiss do frozen cod; there's 4 places for starters. It is very good and is in a sort of crispy half batter/half breadcrumb mix. Deceptively big portion but pricey as KK says. That is down to current exchange rates as much as anything, but that's for another thread.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:33 AM, Enoon said:

"Every Day is Fryday"

New Plaza, North side, 2nd Rd end.

I order fish and salad for dinner and peel off all the batter. Then with baht breakfast without bread, black pudding, black coffee, no OJ and ON whey protein in between to manage hunger lost 11 kg in 2 months. Not owning a motorbike and walking everywhere is why I love pattaya for losing weight (vs chiang mai with all the cheap amazing food options + Grab and motorbike)

On 8/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jingthing said:

I had that there twice. First time great. Second time soggy fish texture. Inconsistency is consistently a problem here. Yes, I ordered the haddock both times. They also have cod. Don't remember if they sell the common trash fish or not for cheaper, but probably. 

I need new reading glasses. When I've read this post to my wife I accidentally read: 

"Yes, I ordered the harddco_k both times. They also have condoms."

My apologies, new ones ( glasses) are already ordered. 

On 8/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, spidermike007 said:

The other issue here with chips, is that I always get a child's portion. Sometimes seven or eight chips. What? What is this? Have potatoes gone up to 400 baht a kilo? Why such a miniscule portion?

They often think that Midgets don't need that much. It's  a Thai thingy. 

( The topic as as dry as my wife's pool. Kidding intended)-) 

• Haha 1

Robin's Nest near LK Metro has cod every day on the menu.  Sure it is frozen and all that but it is cod and their batter is pretty good.  I had it a couple of times a week when I was just there.  Fri and Sat they have a special with local fried fish but I pass on that.  Being from Rhode Island I really miss fresh fish and chips, but one does the best they can given the circumstances

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I love fish n chips. But I stopped eating this here when I discovered that the fish used mostly here is Pangasius. It's imported from Vietnam and has high levels of Agent Orange in it. Full stop and no regrets on my part.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ehs818 said:

I love fish n chips. But I stopped eating this here when I discovered that the fish used mostly here is Pangasius. It's imported from Vietnam and has high levels of Agent Orange in it. Full stop and no regrets on my part.

Plus it tastes like crap.

So order cod or haddock and hope you're really getting cod or haddock. 

On 8/11/2019 at 8:21 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Pangasius IS catfish....

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

That story was invented by the Catfish Farmers of America and has been comprehensively disproved.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Depends what state in Australia,Victoria,the gummy shark is a very popular favourite,W Aust,snapper seems to be the favourite,Darwin, barramundi would probably be the no.1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:03 AM, jacko45k said:

Too many are attempting to keep the price down and serve up some mystery cheap fish, particularly pub type places. You say the Jolly Roger, but methinks you mean The Jolly Friar. That used to be my choice to get proper cod, but I too was a little disappointed last visit. 

The Jolly Friar was great not so long ago, but they hiked up their prices.

There is a stall on Soi Metro almost at the junction with Soi Buckaow, which sells

fish, chips, chicken nuggets and their potato scallops are great, it is run by a mother and beautiful daughter, I go there every time I am in Pattaya, give it a try.

I suppose the most popular choice at your traditional fish n chip shop in Melbourne is Flake, which is shark and some name as Gummy Shark.. My favourites were Blue Grenadier, King George Whiting, Hake, Bream, Butterfish and Flathead tails.. 

Each having their own individual taste.. Different states have different choices on the menu, depending on local fishing breeds.. 

But fish always has to go with Dim Sims, Potato Cakes, Chiko Rolls, and Beef Croquettes.. Lots of salt, and don't forget the vinegar on the chips.. 

Unfortunately the crap they serve here is waterlogged, tasteless and enriched with everything you shouldn't be eating anyway.. 

6 hours ago, mrfill said:

That story was invented by the Catfish Farmers of America and has been comprehensively disproved.

Vietnamese catfish is being used in Europe though where it's dunked in a solution that allows it so soak up & hold water to a certain percentage so increasing it's weight.

It's used in most processed generic white fish dishes.

I wonder if my children will ever eat fresh pollution-free wild fish to any degree.

Mostly used is the cheapo panga fillet like from Makro. Around 100 Baht a kilo, dig that.

I hate this crap as it smells like semen (ahum) and is <deleted> watery.

If you can get hold of more expensive Panga, that would be a better choice.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, SteveK said:

I used to buy the frozen real cod fillets from Makro and make my own, came out pretty tasty but unfortunately the fillets are tiny, thin and watery.

Thaw the fillets down the day before. In a strainer and covered with some foil. Press out the excess of water and you will be fine.

I think most of the Cod here,is not Atlantic Cod, but Pacific Cod,

processed in China,and nowhere as good,true N. Atlantic Cod from

Iceland ,Norway,would just be too expensive to import and make

fish and chips.

I have bought the Pacific Cod and Haddock at Makro,look quite

good,and was very cheap,it just disintegrated to next to nothing,

ended up having to make fish cakes out of it,only bought it once !

regards worgeordie