EU's Juncker tells Britain: no-deal Brexit will hurt you the most

rooster59

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

The EU exports to UK high quality expensive goods, which are not easy to substitute. You can replace BMW with Lexus, but still need to sell to the Japanese something they want to balance the trade. UK exports "financial services" to EU, with a fairly large surplus in the services area. 

Just look how many of these financial service companies already have a base in the EU...

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, tebee said:

It's an FTA with added gizmos, hence my comment about it being the most advanced FTA in the world.

In what ways do you consider it not to be an FTA?

Your added "gizmos" are the answer. 

SM - all single market (EU) rules and conditions.

CU - common tariffs / no separate FTA's / ECJ authority.

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

The EU exports to UK high quality expensive goods, which are not easy to substitute. You can replace BMW with Lexus, but still need to sell to the Japanese something they want to balance the trade. UK exports "financial services" to EU, with a fairly large surplus in the services area. 

And, of course, post a no deal brexit, British Financial services companies will no longer be able to trade in the EU - bye-bye surplus 

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Don't know now but 40 years ago it was already like that .

I was a trucker and went many times to GB, sometimes twice a week from Brittany ( France ) ;

I went often to Hull with green apples coming from Angers in France ...

But always I came back empty from GB;
there was never anything to load for the continent.

In the "British exports" a lot of "financial services" are included. No need of any lorry. 

imp-exp 2018 acc HoC lib briefing paper 7851 of 24 July 2019.jpg

45 minutes ago, Huayrat said:

You will be surprised then.. Aslong as Johnson stays away the EU will fold and backdown.. Merkel will see to that because they are in a dire position and on the brink of recession and will be in a worse state than the UK and Add Ireland to that too.

A bit more analysys from CNN as to why the EU isn't afraid of no deal

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/10/europe/europe-isnt-scared-of-boris-johnson-analysis-intl-gbr/index.html

The logic goes something like this: a no-deal Brexit will wreak havoc not only in the UK but in European countries as well and having seen that Johnson is serious, Europe will eventually blink and renegotiate the deal it struck with May last year (and which has since been voted down three times by the UK Parliament).

They are also angry that Johnson and his government are trying to pin the blame for a lack of progress on Brussels. 

A second reason for the lack of panic is that people in Brussels take everything Johnson says with a pinch of salt, Johnson has previous form for sudden changes of heart, and no one is ruling out the possibility that, come the October 17 EU summit, he will request another Brexit extension if it suits him politically.

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Take back control over our borders.

Was that not a Brexit slogan?

Now we have Border cherry picking.

I am still waiting for the details about BJs technical solution. He has more than 80 days left. No rush.

Boris was is and will be never interested in "details". For sure he will say... "smart informaticsa technology", without having an the slightest idea, what that is and how someting can be created to sove this question.

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

And, of course, post a no deal brexit, British Financial services companies will no longer be able to trade in the EU - bye-bye surplus 

Not that I care about money lenders etc, but do you have a link I can ponder over...?

PS. Where have you been, up in an 88 with the boss....?????

1 minute ago, tebee said:

I don't think that will happen all at once. Over time. The EU has overhauled its financials rules for all financial service providers outside the EU

EU agrees tough post-Brexit financial services rules

https://www.ft.com/content/29b8c67a-3a12-11e9-b72b-2c7f526ca5d0

If you don't subscribe to ft.com (I don't) just do a search for the headline. The link should let you bypass the paywall.

15 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

I don't understand these links to the media here and there. As if the media are the almighty knowing it all.

What are you trying to say, that Richard Neal never made this statement or the other quotes in the article.

“The American dimension to the Good Friday agreement is indispensable,” said Richard Neal,

13 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

In the "British exports" a lot of "financial services" are included. No need of any lorry. 

imp-exp 2018 acc HoC lib briefing paper 7851 of 24 July 2019.jpg

Not sure where these numbers come from but they do not match higher deficit numbers with the EU that I have seen elsewhere, although the general pattern seems right. Looking at this table we might just need more ships then. And a bigger navy? 

if Uk is out with No deal  then so be it ,the EU will be worried  because they also will pay more for goods well needed in europe from the uk it will take a few months but uk being uk will come out of it and maybe even do better than now 

,At least they dont pay millions to the never ending  hole eu  has  and the endless dinners and money waisting this eu do  it is not all waiste  but a great deal ,

in the Netherlands last week the goverment minister pulled out the plug on an it job costing millions also eu subsidised because the soft ware is not ready ther next step to correct this is clue less what a waist .

i glad i live in asia , here many complain and many complain about the high baht but still easier to live here than europe .

and again this visas tm 30 in europe countries is not much different the  ex pats from other countries  must do the same report have docunents correct  the bank is not so easy ,so all the  same world wide .

so no whining  as the guy said from a bar stoel   just wake up in the morning and think 

AAA a new day a new chance  have a nice day all 

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Boris and his ERG cronies; wealthy privileged Tories from the old boy private school network, are all backed and owned by the likes of the odious Odey.

But good old Brexiters like to believe they're doing it for patriotic reasons and care about the public. Will they wake up ever?

Before Christmas, when shops are "less full as usual", buying on the continent is difficult seen a Schengen Visum, and.. the pound worth a € 0,50

22 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

I don't understand these links to the media here and there. As if the media are the almighty knowing it all.

No, they don´t know all. But if many medias post the same (you can try Google if you find the same fact written in other newspapers) it could be true. It´s a kind of evidence. Better than write something ("the earth is flat") and if somebody post a link that the earth is round to say "all these links, do the media know all".

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

A bit more analysys from CNN as to why the EU isn't afraid of no deal

So it has been said that in the event of a no deal France could lose 143000 jobs, Germany nearly 300,000 and struggling Italy 140,000 jobs and the EU isn't afraid of a no deal, they either don't care about their citizens, they are arrogant or incredibly stupid, take your pick.

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

in order to make a deal with the US, China or anybody else the UK has first to exit the EU and than it will take some time 9anybody's guess ??) to make trade deals, sometimes up to 10 years, what will the UK do in the mean time

10 years ? that is what the EU takes but the UK will not . The current 36 EU FTA countries have all indicated that trade with the UK would continue after Brexit as the UK were signatory to the agreements . Quite simple really , no reason to panic or complicate matters although something tells me the the EU will be fuming after Brexit . Did you hear that Macron wants the official language of the EU parliament changed from English to French ? What a plonker ???? 

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

But don't we have border checks for good entering into Ireland (North and South) by sea already ? That's what I don't understand. Also don't lorries get checked at Dover/Calais 

And THAT'is why, when for Nothern Ireland a different regime is valid as for South Ireland, there MUST be a border check in between. 

Imagine… the EU re-locates all migrants from teh Greek islands a 500 mtr away from the S-N. Irish border.. 

Or.. whatever food is allowed into N.I, but is forbidden by the EU = S.I. ? 

This cannot be stoppedby some camera's even not by scanning each lorry or car at a "hard" border.

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

So, so many doomsayers on here.  Do you not know that USA has said it will offer trade at least twice as much as the EU, if not more, there are also a variety of other very large markets to be explored such as those European Countries not in the EU Pact, the African Continent (probably the future largest expanding market), China, Asia, Russia et al.  Already, many UK Ambassadors have been exploring these markets, from which under the EU Rules, we were excluded.  Yes, there will initially be a short term down turn, but UK will surface and be immensely resurgent out of the EU.  The EU are very afraid, not only because of the loss of the direct income from us, but the loss of trade to their Countries, which will be very unpalatable to those Countries and give them second thoughts about their membership. Junker and  co have badly mishandled the divorce by looking down on May, who was too nice for the Bully Boys, now will reap the rewards of a bad divorce, which will impact less on the UK than the EU, because it is worth more to them to have us in rather than out.  He doesn't care anyway.  By the way, why must there be a SECOND Government, telling our Government what to do and why does the EU Parlaiment have to move to another Country every month involving considerable expense.  Wake up people, the EU Trading Market was a good idea, but this taking over Countries by these Commissioners is so, so bad and one size certainly does not fit all!

And YOU think, the EU with then a 450 mln consumers will tolerate any country gives a better deal to the 67 mln consumers on a tiny Island ? Trade deals with the EUI covers abotu every country on this planet. See my other reply nr 145

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Let me finish chortling first, then I’ll have a look. 

Edit

OK, I’ve read it. Some negativity and some positive notes. 

Nothing like the doom and destruction prophecy, you know, the one that still has me laughing. 

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

sure it will be "much" easier because it's the UK 555

Especially when these nations dig in their history books.. Only.. Boris the Enlighted does not have a glue - details again - , see his performance in Myanmar, where the ambasador warned him again and again.

11 minutes ago, superal said:

10 years ? that is what the EU takes but the UK will not . The current 36 EU FTA countries have all indicated that trade with the UK would continue after Brexit as the UK were signatory to the agreements . Quite simple really , no reason to panic or complicate matters although something tells me the the EU will be fuming after Brexit . Did you hear that Macron wants the official language of the EU parliament changed from English to French ? What a plonker ???? 

Have they all? Got a source for that?

As for a new trade agreement, consider these 2 headlines. You'll note that the first was written in 2017 and the second in 2019:

Theresa May secures Japanese pledge on post-Brexit trade deal

Leaders announce in Tokyo that two countries will seek to instantly replace EU trade deal with a copycat deal for UK

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/31/theresa-may-secures-japanese-pledge-on-post-brexit-trade-deal

Japan seeking big concessions from Britain in trade talks

This article is more than 5 months old

Lack of clarity about UK-EU trading relationship after Brexit also holding up progress

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/08/japan-seeking-big-concessions-from-britain-in-trade-talks-eu-brexit

Archived