Video: Thai media claims man is 128 years old - and he has the ID to prove it!

webfact

Video: Thai media claims man is 128 years old - and he has the ID to prove it!

1pm_VI.jpg

Thai caption: Ha Ha! Great Great granddad survived six reigns. He's 128 years old

Manager went to a village in Udon Thani to meet a man who claims to be 128 years old. 

And he has a Thai ID card to prove it. 

1pm2.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

This would make him easily the oldest person in the world. 

Reporters went to the village of Ban Noon Somboon in Phonsoong sub-district where they met Orn Phanchomphu along with some of his many descendants. 

Orn was born on April 9th 1891 during the reign of King Chulalongkorn the Great or Rama V who was king of Siam from 1868 until his death in 1910.

Orn has survived five other reigns through Rama V to the present day Rama X. 

He was a farmer and married his wife Song when she was just 15 years old. They had 7 children, 11 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

He is still healthy and sweeps up around the house and can climb the stairs to the second floor. He keeps busy by making brooms. 

He put his longevity down to eating fish - especially fermented fish or pla ra - and simple vegetables growing nearby. 

He said all his friends have died - though he hopes he can go on to be 200. 

Posters on a video on YouTube asked for his age to be independently verified by the Guinness Book. 

The oldest verifiable person living is a Japanese woman aged 116, notes Thaivisa, though a French woman is believed to have lived to 122 before she died. 

The oldest living man is a German aged a 'mere' 113 years according to Wikipedia. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-28

Doubting comment #1:

There were obviously no Thai IDs in 1891, I think they were introduced in the 1940s.

Does he have a birth certificate to back up his Thai ID - that would be where the amphur got his date of birth from. Somehow I don't think Thai birth certificates go back that far either.

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

He put his longevity down to eating fish - especially fermented fish or pla ra - and simple vegetables growing nearby. 

Interestingly, pla ra and longevity are not normally mentioned in the same sentence. 

This year I went to renew my Thai driving license, they gave it to me and I saw I was 51, what a surprise because I know I am 71 years 555, so they made a new one and that one said I was 61. They can't calculate here, so a mistake is made easily!

1 hour ago, RotMahKid said:

This year I went to renew my Thai driving license, they gave it to me and I saw I was 51, what a surprise because I know I am 71 years 555, so they made a new one and that one said I was 61. They can't calculate here, so a mistake is made easily!

When we had the old paper Thai licences, I remember the dates being 'typed' into the spaces. They couldn't add five onto the current year, and gave me a seven year licence.

A policeman queried it once, I just told him I was a very special ferang, which he thought was funny.

I had the same problem recently. I just got my new thai drivers license. I provided my passport and current UK drivers license, both clearly stating my D.O.B however, got my new Thai drivers license and they added 10 years to my age!!! They made exactly the same mistake on my Thai drivers license back in 2009 so it seems this happens more often than not.

The record holder is held by a Japanese man at age 116. So if this is true, a Thai man will break the record and Thailand would be proud of this record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_people

Rank Name[a] Birth date Death date Age Place of death
or residence
1 Jiroemon Kimura 19 April 1897 12 June 2013 116 years, 54 days Japan

1 minute ago, curious297 said:

I had the same problem recently. I just got my new thai drivers license. I provided my passport and current UK drivers license, both clearly stating my D.O.B however, got my new Thai drivers license and they added 10 years to my age!!! They made exactly the same mistake on my Thai drivers license back in 2009 so it seems this happens more often than not.

The same problem - you're 128 too?

The DLT obvious thought you'd had a hard life, adding ten years on to your age.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

The record holder is held by a Japanese man at age 116. So if this is true, a Thai man will break the record which Thailand will be proud of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_people

Rank Name[a] Birth date Death date Age Place of death
or residence
1 Jiroemon Kimura 19 April 1897 12 June 2013 116 years, 54 days Japan

I think the stumbling block for the guy from Udon is the word 'verified'.

Wow ???? – well done, good to see a happy old man – seems like we should eat more fermented fish to keep up a healthy long-time lifestyle.

The other day I noticed that the small fridge on second floor in my house began to have a weird, not that pleasant smell. A shelf was stuffed with strange small containers, so I asked my lovely girlfriend if she knew what it was?

»Rotten fish,« she said.

I presume she also plan for longevity...????

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

1. His wife was 15 when he married her. The op doesn't say how old he was.

2. Where did you get the 25 from?

Basic maths -> They had 7 children, 11 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. (Notice there is a generation or two missing?)

Example : Jiroemon Kimura (115 years old) -- 7 children, 14 grandchildren, 25 great-grandchildren and 15 great-great-grandchildren

There is a generation or two missing in his heritage. 25 years I would say would be the average age of someone today getting married and having kids. People had kids younger than that 30+ years ago. If they had kids younger then he would be younger than 90 as well.

If he is 128 years old as he claims then he should have great-great-great-grandchildren. He only has great-grandchildren. He is two generations of grandchildren short for the age of 128 years old. The caption on the story makes it even more stupid as it says (Thai caption: Ha Ha! Great Great granddad survived six reigns. He's 128 years old) Now he is a great-great-grandfather but the main story says great-grandfather. Either way he is a generation or two short as I said. 

The stuff that kills my smell buds all the time? Unbelievable.

He said all his friends have died - though he hopes he can go on to be 200. 

That's of course as easy was walking on Mars, but then we could celebrate my 131st birthday when he turns 200 together and talk about the good old times 2019. ????

12 minutes ago, aqua4 said:

Basic maths -> They had 7 children, 11 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. (Notice there is a generation or two missing?)

Example : Jiroemon Kimura (115 years old) -- 7 children, 14 grandchildren, 25 great-grandchildren and 15 great-great-grandchildren

There is a generation or two missing in his heritage. 25 years I would say would be the average age of someone today getting married and having kids. People had kids younger than that 30+ years ago. If they had kids younger then he would be younger than 90 as well.

If he is 128 years old as he claims then he should have great-great-great-grandchildren. He only has great grandchildren. He is two generations of grandchildren short for the age of 128 years old. 

Perhaps one in the chain was a single child and gay? 

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

Perhaps one in the chain was a single child and gay? 

Sorry I added that the caption on the story and the body of the story is not the same. The caption says great-great-grandfather but the main story says great-grandfather. Yes the last kids could have all been gay but the story look suspicious. 

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

When we had the old paper Thai licences, I remember the dates being 'typed' into the spaces. They couldn't add five onto the current year, and gave me a seven year licence.

A policeman queried it once, I just told him I was a very special ferang, which he thought was funny.

Even now they couldnt add as SWIM had the same good luck by getting 1 with 6 years instead of 5 hahaha. The old paper been replace with proper card with computers but they still couldnt add mate. Look at all the sellers always having to use a calculater even with just 20baht + 17 baht. 

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Doubting comment #1:

There were obviously no Thai IDs in 1891, I think they were introduced in the 1940s.

Does he have a birth certificate to back up his Thai ID - that would be where the amphur got his date of birth from. Somehow I don't think Thai birth certificates go back that far either.

Quick trip to Khao San Road - done and dusted.

Archived