Swedish teen climate activist arrives in New York by boat for U.N. summit

webfact

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

The sun is not in the middle of a grand solar minimum (which WOULD impact the earths climate). Back in June 2019, NASA claimed that there are signs that the sun has REACHED the grand solar minimum phase. Signs.

Just wanted to point that out since you based your entire argument on confusing facts.

You state that there's a weak link between the solar minimum and climate change, yet you use it to defend your claims of climate change...?

Anyways. Proceed.

Nor did I say that the sun is in the middle of a Grand Solar Minimum. How did you come up with that one?  I was commenting on a link from NCC1701A who introduced this solar cycle info into the thread . Namely this link concerning the concept of the solar minimum, (not the Grand Solar Minimum):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_minimum

The solar cycle or solar magnetic activity cycle is a nearly periodic 11-year change in the Sun's activity. Levels of solar radiation and ejection of solar material, the number and size of sunspots, solar flares, and coronal loops all exhibit a synchronized fluctuation, from active to quiet to active again, with a period of 11 years. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle

So every solar cycle has a minimum. This one is particularly deep.

And yes, I did state that there's a weak link between the solar minimum and global temperature. 

"The sunspot cycle variation of 0.1% has small but detectable effects on the Earth's climate.[81][82][83] Camp and Tung suggest that solar irradiance correlates with a variation of 0.18 K ±0.08 K (0.32 °F ±0.14 °F) in measured average global temperature between solar maximum and minimum.[84]

The point is, of course, that despite the fact that solar minima impose a slightly cooling effect on climate, we are in the midst of record breaking high global temperatures. And what makes this especially noteworthy is that even though we are now in a deep solar minimum July was the warmest month ever recorded. I wrote that this solar minimum was the lowest for 100 years but now it seems it could be actually 200 years. Which only makes the case against the importance of solar cycles even weaker.

And the fact is that solar activity in the entire current solar cycle has been at a very very low level. And yet the global average temperature is getting higher at an increasing rate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Made made co2 is 3% of 0.04 % which is the carbon dioxide make up of the atmosphere, the other 97% of that 0.04% is natural. Hard to see how that tiny, tiny proportion is doing much to speed up climate change. It's a natural cycle but the loonies lap up this nonsense.

not  only  that but the lack of "free  speech" is  doing wonders for their  cause

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Nor did I say that the sun is in the middle of a Grand Solar Minimum. How did you come up with that one?  I was commenting on a link from NCC1701A who introduced this solar cycle info into the thread . Namely this link concerning the concept of the solar minimum, (not the Grand Solar Minimum):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_minimum

The solar cycle or solar magnetic activity cycle is a nearly periodic 11-year change in the Sun's activity. Levels of solar radiation and ejection of solar material, the number and size of sunspots, solar flares, and coronal loops all exhibit a synchronized fluctuation, from active to quiet to active again, with a period of 11 years. 

So every solar cycle has a minimum. This one is particularly deep.

And yes, I did state that there's a weak link between the solar minimum and global temperature. 

"The sunspot cycle variation of 0.1% has small but detectable effects on the Earth's climate.[81][82][83] Camp and Tung suggest that solar irradiance correlates with a variation of 0.18 K ±0.08 K (0.32 °F ±0.14 °F) in measured average global temperature between solar maximum and minimum.[84]

The point is, of course, that despite the fact that solar minima impose a slightly cooling effect on climate, we are in the midst of record breaking high global temperatures. And what makes this especially noteworthy is that even though we are now in a deep solar minimum July was the warmest month ever recorded. I wrote that this solar minimum was the lowest for 100 years but now it seems it could be actually 200 years. Which only makes the case against the importance of solar cycles even weaker.

And the fact is that solar activity in the entire current solar cycle has been at a very very low level. And yet the global average temperature is getting higher at an increasing rate. 

I'm not trying to contest climate change (and I don't want to get into a debate regarding its cause). What I meant was to point out the contradictory statements in your post where on the one side you claim that "there is a weak link between solar minimums and global temperature" only to point out a few lines later that a couple of local temperature records were set "despite the dampening effect of the solar minimum".

Either or, so to speak...

Lastly, just wanted to clarify that I never claimed that you wrote that the sun is in the middle of a Grand Solar Minimum (I know you didn't). What I wrote was: 

"You state that there's a weak link between the solar minimum and climate change"

Edited by Forethat
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Forethat said:

I'm not trying to contest climate change (and I don't want to get into a debate regarding its cause). What I meant was to point out the contradictory statements in your post where on the one side you claim that "there is a weak link between solar minimums and global temperature" only to point out a few lines later that a couple of local temperature records were set "despite the dampening effect of the solar minimum".

Either or, so to speak...

But there is a weak link between the solar minimum and temperature. And despite that link, the global temperature is trending higher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tug said:

Pretty pathetic to see a bunch of guys attacking an autistic kid you go kiddo I’d be proud if you were my daughter!

Whats "autistic" got to do with anything would it be  better if they had one  leg, how do you rank them? but more so why do you feel the need to?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The boat has no shower or toilets, and those aboard including Thunberg's father and crew members ate cold canned food throughout the trip.

good  luck back there in the stone  age but I dont want that.

Now  how did they make that boat exactly, was it grown from reeds, any plastics used in it?

• Haha 1