More light-runners expected to be nabbed with new intersection cameras

rooster59

You must take in country average income to determine fines...

i an am not sure what can be done to get Thais to pay fines....I hear the collection rate is dismal....

it it all starts at DMV regarding compliance, severity of rule breaking driving seriousness system driving excellent training etc....

changing of behavior needs to start at DMV...

• Like 1

Driving around Bangkok on a daily basis I witness light runners at every single set of lights. If you multiply the number of runners per light phase by the number of phases per 24hr period and then by the number of lights in the city I’d say the number of offences would many tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands in a month. Imagine the revenue if the fine and payment systems were properly enforced. It goes without saying that motorbikes are the worst offenders.

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The most dangerous intersection I have ever seen in the world for running red lights is in Pattaya - the adjacent T-intersections of Khao Talo and Sukhumvit, and Thepprasit and Sukhumvit. This has to be seen to be believed. Sheer freaking insanity. Sadly, I can't see a camera system solving the problem. 

Instead of spending money on that joke of an underpass further up Sukhumvit, the authorities should have redesigned these two intersections. 

Absolutely true. I used this intersection for years. Once or twice I thought, this is it. This ash......le in going to kill me. Really dangerous. I don't think either the Thais are scared of these cameras. They just don't give a sh.....

• Like 1

One day we will have a feel good story about the Thailand Police. 

(Not holding my breath).

Until then,  we get hit constantly with the money extraction methods that are rife here.

Sat on third road last night. 9pm.

In the 30 minutes sat eating,  saw 3 accidents,  860 bikes with no lights, thousands of others with multiple riders, no helmets.

430 bus loads of Chinese. 

(And one police pickup with lights on, possibly going to collect the nights take away food)

And NO he didn't stop at the accident even though there was an ambulance and part of the road blocked).

It's a sad state of affairs. 

3 hours ago, mok199 said:

What I have noticed ,these thai light runners on scooters,refusing to wait for the light don't actually run the light straight through, they turn left into the lane,make a little u turn, and then come back out ,thus beating the red light....fools

In Hua Hin there is an intersection where literally everybody ignores the red light if they are going to turn left up towards the Railway Station. It's a pretty busy and hectic intersection right on Phethkasem Rd, but nobody really waits for the red light to turn left at that specific area 

Edited by Globe Trotter

13 minutes ago, Rawnthai said:

I hope this includes intersection blockers...... you know, those guys that are still sitting in the intersection when the lights change.  I’ve not moved for 2-3 light changes because of blocked intersection.  ”F”ers!

You don't enter the intersection unless your exit is clear...

Oh, but TIT.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Agreed. I wonder what it is in reality though?

The reality is, the light-runners, or any traffic offenders for that matter, can use any one of the approved standard lines: "My brakes weren't working" or "The road was too slippery and I couldn't stop in time" or something along those lines, and they can get away with a slap on the wrist. Alternatively, if one knows, or better still, is connected to someone, then nothing will happen. Thai logic :laugh:

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

" The offence of running a red light is punishable by a maximum Bt1,000 fine, but the city police would impose a Bt500 fine, "

Hardly discouraging them, when the chances of getting caught in the first place are minimal.

This is one of the more serious/dangerous motoring offences, and warrants a 10,000Baht fine!. Don't jump the lights, don't get fined!

For the average Thai, that is more than a month's pay. Does your home country have such high fines?

• Like 1

My previous Country of domicile was S. Korea. Practically every light in SK is Camera equipped and not just for Red light Runners, they also monitor your speed and issue tickets for Red light running, and/or Speeding through the intersection. SK drivers are horrible nonetheless, and even the huge amount of traffic cameras does not seem to improve Koreans driving style even in the slightest. 

My contention is that these lights are simply another form of Tax collection for the government and lets not forget the profits of the third party company running the system. 

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

What I have noticed ,these thai light runners on scooters,refusing to wait for the light don't actually run the light straight through, they turn left into the lane,make a little u turn, and then come back out ,thus beating the red light....fools

Ha yeah! I bet those cops are happy as they can look good racking up numbers/fines at the push of a mouse! It's too hot outside!

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

Sitting at a set of lights for more than 15 minutes before they turn green will prompt most people to do silly foolish things

• Like 1

I think once they work out that you can't renew your road tax if you don't pay the fine is going to upset another department. They will have to work out away that when you go to pay your road tax that the fine charges are added to your road tax payment. so to purchase road tax you must pay the fines at the same time!. That would make sense. The tax office are not going to stop you paying road tax. Because it would mean people will just register the car under another family members name...Duh!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Has anyone ever wondered why red light jumping is at epidemic proportions here? 

Is there something in a Thais DNA that makes their head explode if they have to stop for more than 10 seconds? 

I've no idea if Thailand has a version of the saying 'patience is a virtue', buy if it doesn't then it jolly well needs one!

Patience is a virtue, but are Thais virtuous?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

Examples of "I am ignorant and can't or won't wait". No consequence as there are no mobile police to enforce any of the laws of the road. Photo ops now in session.

4 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

You're right. Silly me. But it would create the chance for more giant depictions of dolphins, which as everyone knows are a major tourist attraction in Pattaya bay. Brown-nosed dolphins ????.

I think illuminated Pigs would be more appropriate. 

With their snouts in the trough. 

Screenshot_20190831-120348_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

For the average Thai, that is more than a month's pay. Does your home country have such high fines?

Fines need to be painful or they have no effect. Other countries don’t have the driving standards we witness every day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

It is quite usual for tour buses - and others - on Sukhumvit to continue to barrel through the lights for maybe ten seconds after they have turned to red.

Should be a death sentence (instead of 500baht) for crimes like this!

• Sad 1