Frasers Jomtien Olives = Jalapenos?

japanese

Apparently olives are a substitute for jalapenos in nachos.  And if you ask about why you get a barrage of sarcasm.

Not impressed with the ownership tonight at all.

OK - if the chef screwed up that's one thing. When the owner dismisses the query that's another.

Maybe they are under pressure and can't afford the jalapenos?  Just be up front and admit it.

• Like 1

It's not uncommon to find olives in gringo-ized Mexican food but you're correct, they are no substitute for jalapenos. 

Also there is a famous Mexican fish dish of Veracruz that uses olives. Obviously the Spanish influence. 

Edited by Jingthing

28 minutes ago, japanese said:

Yup - only California and Arizona though.  They use olives in Mexican food and then react badly when asked about it?

You wouldn't expect authentic Mexican food at an Australian pub food restaurant in Thailand. But the replaces jalapenos line was ridiculous. 

Pretty typical.

I kind of like their beer can chicken.

More their speed.

No olives.

Suggest you try this place.

They do salsas which are OK for Thailand.

I haven't had their nachos but I assume they include some jalapeños.

I like their burritos and quesadillas.

https://m.facebook.com/TacoTacoTexMex/

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cool.  Mikes (Mexican) is ok 2/3rds of the way up the hill when going to Jomtien from Pattaya.

The thing is, I have had jalapenos in Frasers before.  So they changed the menu - disappointing.  Owners attitude - disaster.

I am thinking maybe they ran out and threw in a substitute.  I can accept that.  But not the attitude.

• Like 2

You all  actually  like and  eat  genuine  jalapenos??? I grow  them in large amounts  but only  to  torture  the  braggers who claim they  can eat  "pet" up here in Isaan.

I get a sort of  vindictive pleasure  because  even one small innocuous  chillie shuts  down my sense of smell and  taste  for  hours! I can eat a lot of prik thai  (black) no problem.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

You all  actually  like and  eat  genuine  jalapenos??? I grow  them in large amounts  but only  to  torture  the  braggers who claim they  can eat  "pet" up here in Isaan.

I get a sort of  vindictive pleasure  because  even one small innocuous  chillie shuts  down my sense of smell and  taste  for  hours! I can eat a lot of prik thai  (black) no problem.

Jalapenos can vary in heat, but I've never had one I would consider very hot.  Not like the little Thai peppers or some of the hotter Indian/Pakistani stuff.  Never-mind the designer peppers like "Carolina Reaper" that are vying for the hottest pepper title.

My wife uses a lot of fresh Jalapenos as well as some larger, slightly milder chiles in her USA version of Nam Phrik Num, the northern style chile dip.  It can get spicy if you eat quite a few tablespoons of it.  Sooo good!  I'm not sure if she slips in a couple little Thai peppers as well.

Occasionally fresh jalapenos are extremely hot especially if you eat any of the seeds. But they have a great distinctive flavor. Unfortunately for some weird reason Thai grown fresh jalapenos (bought in markets when they're available) when I've had them lack much heat or flavor. In the U.S. they are often used in Chinese restaurants and they work really well in some dishes. Could be that started with the Latinos in the kitchens!

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, japanese said:

Cool.  Mikes (Mexican) is ok 2/3rds of the way up the hill when going to Jomtien from Pattaya.

The thing is, I have had jalapenos in Frasers before.  So they changed the menu - disappointing.  Owners attitude - disaster.

I am thinking maybe they ran out and threw in a substitute.  I can accept that.  But not the attitude.

Mikes has nothing to reccomend it

I feel sorry for the staff there..As for Frasers i have always had good food and good service there. The owner is relatively new. If what you say is true then its  a very poor response.  I feel.sorry for the staff 

Write it up in TA..

39 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I feel sorry for the staff there..As for Frasers i have always had good food and good service there. The owner is relatively new. If what you say is true then its  a very poor response.  I feel.sorry for the staff 

Write it up in TA..

I agree about Mikes.

I did notice a dish I used to like at Frasers was later different in a bad way. But I'm not enough of a regular at that place to make any definitive judgements. But I wouldn't think to order Mexican food there.

BTW -- I found the burrito supreme at TIgglebitties kind of good.

12" Flour tortilla stuffed with beef, chicken or steak, Mexican rice, beans, tomato, white & green onion, cilantro, lettuce, grated cheese, topped with Ranchero sauce, sour cream and jalapenos.

add 30 for top sirloin steak

Free delivery!

https://www.hotmeals2u.com/

Edited by Jingthing

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Occasionally fresh jalapenos are extremely hot especially if you eat any of the seeds. But they have a great distinctive flavor. Unfortunately for some weird reason Thai grown fresh jalapenos (bought in markets when they're available) when I've had them lack much heat or flavor. ….

Jalapenos are seldom/never very hot, but do have a "distinctive" and pleasant flavor. Jalapenos "can have a range of pungency, with Scoville heat units of 3,500 to 8,000. Wikipedia". 

The levels of pungency, in terms of Scoville units are:

Pungency SHU
Very highly pungent Above 80,000
Highly pungent 25,000 to 70,000
Moderately pungent 3,000 to 25,000
Mildly pungent 700 to 3,000
Non pungent 0 to 700

The maximum Scoville units (8,000) for Jalapenos is in the low (bottom 1/3) of the "moderately pungent" range. Anyone who would rate Jalapenos as "extremely hot" either is confusing Jalapenos with another pepper or has a very low tolerance for capsaicinoids (or both).

Curiously, when I looked up Nachos, the first picture I saw was tortilla corn chips with both Jalapenos and black olives, so it is apparently a common condiment on Nachos. And, I expect that olives (black or green) are both more expensive that Jalapenos, so the owner was probably spending more to provide the ordered dish, either because he was out of Jalapenos or was trying to be creative, so he should at least get an "A" for effort, if not for his table side manner. That it may not be "authentic" is IMO totally irrelevant, especially for "Mexican" food served in Thailand. The question (and only question) should be "was it good/enjoyable?". The Mexican food in Pattaya is generally not very good and over priced, not because it is not authentic, but because it is just not very good, especially when you can get very good (and authentic) Thai food for about 1/3 of the price. Variety is a great in one's diet, but the alternatives should be at least "good". In Pattaya, the best alternatives to add variety is Italian, with Indian food improving rapidly. The rest (at least to the extent that I have sampled it) is horribly hit or miss, with more emphasis on the miss part. I probably won't be trying Fraser's any time soon, but not because they put olives on their nachos.    

Nachos.png

Edited by Fat Prophet

Yes olives are very common in nachos. But not as a substitute for pickled jalapenos. You typically get BOTH. 

Nachos are basically a gringo "Mexican" food item, as are burritos, except for the basic ones of Northern Mexico. 

Sorry I am a hard core chili head and I have personal experience with random jalapenos that have been surprisingly extremely hot. Usually not of course.

22 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Write it up in TA..

What happened to Stewart?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I recall he sold the joint and moved back to Oz.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. When life long restauranters like Stewart Frazer and Eddy of RMPM. sellout in one neighbourhood something's up.  I would trust those two guys to know when it's time to cut and run. 

Edited by pegman

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. When life long restauranters like Stewart Frazer and Eddy of RMPM. sellout in one neighbourhood something's up.  I would trust those two guys to know when it's time to cut and run. 

Stewarts still there, was talking to him 2 weeks ago...........the place was up for sale but nothing came of it....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That is a shame, he came to talk at one of the Expat Clubs and I saw him. Great guy I thought.

Apparently he's still here!

The reason I thought he had sold and left is that the owner himself publicized his intentions to sell and leave!

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Apparently he's still here!

The reason I thought he had sold and left is that the owner himself publicized his intentions to sell and leave!

Yes it was his intentions to move back to OZ , probably still is but he needs to find  a buyer first for Frasers...........he has had a medical problem (ongoing) so he might be better in OZ treatment wise.....

On 8/31/2019 at 10:48 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

Jalapenos? When we were back in England I introduced Mrs BM to Scotch Bonnets.