Why do Thai people ignore Foreigners when they are speaking and begin speaking over them, interrupting them?

ExpatInCM

3 hours ago, samsensam said:

let's turn this around, you are in your home country, your thai wife doesn't speak your language, or speaks it equivalent to your thai, how much notice would your countrymen and women take of her? if you dont want to be ignored learn to speak thai, and, of course, have something interesting or amusing to say.

Been there.. my Thai wife attracted enough attention as she was really beautiful back then... also, she was 32 and looked like she was 14... 

And yes, I agree, I find Thai people in the countryside very engaging and even more so when they discover I can speak with them... 

3 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Try holding your hand up to the interrupting person and saying Diaow Diaow! Kap! which means Wait Wait! Please! I have found these to be very useful Thai words that I use frequently since I have learned them.

"Benn Jang" in Isaan does help a lot, or simply "Bhenn arrai?"

If it's really getting on your nerves a short "Ngiap", of course with a smile! It's the Land of Smiles. 

8 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Yinn, you need to travel more. 

Western countries have very diverse populations including immigrants.

Yawn. I come from Rayong which is diverse population and many immigrants.

Many of the immigrants speak very little English (or whatever the national language is). And, yet most Westerners are polite to these immigrants and make effort to communicate with them anyway.

Yes i I see about the nazi gang, Donald trump with the wall, brexit to keep immigrant out etc. so wonderful.

Most Thai are very polite to immigrants, that is why we the famous tourist place.

You think Thais not polite to you. I do believe you. Because the same reason you have NO friend.

Yesterday you make “joke” about thai die in the flood. 

I have immigrant friends from the countries I lived in all over the world.

You said on another thred you have NO Thai friends. And you live in Thailand. 

The fact that you don't understand this might be the reflection of your isolated Thai worldview.

The fact that you don’t understand this might be the reflection of your isolated life living in Pattaya with your wife and no friend. (The wife you cheat)

i see you like change what you claim, always try make you sound so good.

Yawn.

My complaint is somewhat different. Turned around a bit.

My Thai partner of 14 years speaks decent English. Several times a week we are out shopping for something. I ask him to translate something for me to the clerk, but he doesn't translate in an interactive way, he just starts a conversation with them, doesn't report what he hears until it's over and I get a short reply. Have. No have. Whatever. 

As this goes on, if I get the impression that it's all gone off the rails, I try to barge in but get ignored by my partner. It's not disrespect, just that he can't switch gears fast enough between Thai and English.

And yes, he and the clerk will interrupt each other to a degree that you would not see in Western cultures between two unacquainted people.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

i tell her “If can speak English well, he will have better job than just the taxi driver.”

I have to disagree with you,i have a very good Thai friend,he is 55 years old and he can only get low paying jobs but his English speaking ability is exellent.

No diploma ,no good job.

42 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes i I see about the nazi gang, Donald trump with the wall, brexit to keep immigrant out etc. so wonderful.

Most Thai are very polite to immigrants, that is why we the famous tourist place.

Errrmm, Brexit and the Trump wall are nothing to do with Nazism , but thats a different topic .

Thai people are very friendly , nice , polite and friendly , when they want something .

Although they can be very unfriendly and heartless , when they stop wanting what you've got .

They dont seem to be friendly because they like you as a person , they are polite and friendly because you've got something that they want to have and soon as they either get it or dont want it anymore , you become surpass to requirements 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I think a few of the responses above are correct.

My trick has been to simply ignore them like other Asians do.

It is our Western instincts to be polite and respond when someone talks to/at us. 

But, here in Thailand, a sales person is regarded as 'lower' than you the customer and as such is not entitled to acknowledgement.

Just ignore them until you need something from them, at which time there is a high likelihood they will demonstrate their uselessness.

Maybe its your personality. Perhaps your Thai is not very good. Perhaps you have a strong accent and dont speak english clearly. Perhaps you have an angry face. You sound a bit rude. I have rarely had useless treatment.  Usually polite and efficient,  especially as my Thai is poor. I have also found staff often to be light hearted. The girls are charming. But regarding the OPs query about interrupting: this was very common in Saudi and Libya. Its partly to do with different ideas and conventions of politeness, partly  to do with not having linguistic strategies for politely interrupting and also linked to the prosidic features of language. If the OP did not go shopping with his wife he might get a different response.

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Quite simply, the sounds coming out of your mouth are just noise and have no meaning because you don't speak Thai.  I would suggest you bring your wife up to speed before you go shopping, so she knows what you want and why.  If a young child was crying or talking, adults would simply talk over them, ignoring what to them is a useless interruption.  They may see you in a similar light.

I am sure it is frustrating for you, but you are the one who needs to adapt, not the other way around.  You are of course free to completely disregard my advise as I do not fit your criteria of being unable to converse in Thai and needing an interpreter.????

I listen when children are talking and try to find out what is the matter when they cry.

I certainly don't talk over them.

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

My complaint is somewhat different. Turned around a bit.

My Thai partner of 14 years speaks decent English. Several times a week we are out shopping for something. I ask him to translate something for me to the clerk, but he doesn't translate in an interactive way, he just starts a conversation with them, doesn't report what he hears until it's over and I get a short reply. Have. No have. Whatever. 

As this goes on, if I get the impression that it's all gone off the rails, I try to barge in but get ignored by my partner. It's not disrespect, just that he can't switch gears fast enough between Thai and English.

And yes, he and the clerk will interrupt each other to a degree that you would not see in Western cultures between two unacquainted people.  

..............is the correct answer, nicely observed.

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Errrmm, Brexit and the Trump wall are nothing to do with Nazism , but thats a different topic .

Thai people are very friendly , nice , polite and friendly , when they want something .

Although they can be very unfriendly and heartless , when they stop wanting what you've got .

They dont seem to be friendly because they like you as a person , they are polite and friendly because you've got something that they want to have and soon as they either get it or dont want it anymore , you become surpass to requirements 

Are they friendy to Burmese and Rohingya? They are foreigners. We are travellers here not immigrants. There are not many immigrants in Thailand. Those who have been allowed in over the centuries such as the Issan people are held in contempt by the lighter skinned central Thais. The dark skinned Issan people of Lao and Kymer origin are only seen as idiots on TV programmes,  rarely have jobs in hospitals,  airlines, F&B etc. They provide manual labour for the lighter skinned Thais as cleaners, agricultural work, factory work etc. It is ironic that the hi so promiscuous whore like educate thai girls who drink, smoke, take extacy look down on the massage girl most of whom dint smoke, rarly drink, dont go out much and send most of their money back home. I admire them and found them to be good hearted. The hi so pale skinned so called educated central Thais are frequently judgemental and snobbish. Of course there are exceptions but race, class and skin tone issues make Thailand a brutal,  impoverished and unjust place for half the population. I have only met one educated Thai who was not a dreadful snob and she hated Thailand because of the lies and corruption of the power elite, the lack of free speech and the brainwashed nationalism.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dnyy said:
10 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Quite simply, the sounds coming out of your mouth are just noise and have no meaning because you don't speak Thai.

That's nonsense. Even foreigners speaking Thai, that's still happening.

Doesn't happen to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grollies said:
1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Funniest thing I've read on TVF for a while, cheers.

Certainly because the majority of foreigners are not immigrants but expats.

8 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I have only met one educated Thai who was not a dreadful snob and she hated Thailand because of the lies and corruption of the power elite, the lack of free speech and the brainwashed nationalism.

My Thai friends are not dreadful snobs and they are well educated and well traveled. 

• Like 1

i never get talked over, but regularly people will begin to talk to other thais in thai before completing a simple transaction that requires no language skills.

its like they need to verify or ask someone else in thai about the smallest thing before dealing with me directly. very annoying.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Are they friendy to Burmese

I live in Ranong. I have many Burmese friend. Why not?

and Rohingya? They are foreigners. We are travellers here not immigrants. There are not many immigrants in Thailand.

64 group

Those who have been allowed in over the centuries such as the Issan people are held in contempt by the lighter skinned central Thais.

No. 

The dark skinned Issan people of Lao and Kymer origin are only seen as idiots on TV programmes,  rarely have jobs in hospitals,  airlines, F&B etc.

Where you get your information. Khon Kaen and Mahasarakam university train doctors, engineers etc etc. 

issan people are famous on TV, music etc.

There are many success Issan people. I go the Issan restaurant today, they have good money, sure.

They provide manual labour for the lighter skinned Thais as cleaners, agricultural work, factory work etc.

They good worker.

It is ironic that the hi so promiscuous whore like educate thai girls who drink, smoke, take extacy look down on the massage girl most of whom dint smoke, rarly drink, dont go out much and send most of their money back home. I admire them and found them to be good hearted.

Oh you talk about the sex worker? Yes, everybody look down on that.

most issan woman is NOT massage worker. I think you go massage a lot right?

You don’t see the issan people who work in the office, bank, management, company etc, only the massage one.

Yes you right, Central woman smoke and drink more than Issan. But only SOME people. 

The hi so pale skinned

I know farang like have the suntan. Up to you.

so called educated central Thais are frequently judgemental and snobbish. Of course there are exceptions but race, class and skin tone issues make Thailand a brutal,  impoverished

Impoverished? Maybe my dictionary wrong, but I don’t think thailand is like that.

Africa, Cambodia, not same as Thailand.

Have hospital, school, good society, so much food, job for everyone (and 3 million Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar people)

and unjust place for half the population. I have only met one educated Thai who was not a dreadful snob and she hated Thailand because of the lies and corruption of the power elite, the lack of free speech and the brainwashed nationalism.

Sound like it you look down on educated people. 

You only talk about Central and Issan.

What about the lovely North people and most wonderful South people? 

The North have the most white  skin, the south very dark.

You think north people “hold me in contempt”? They not. Sure.

Also people from Nongkai (Issan) have white skin more than some central. 

Skin color is important for beauty, not the real job. If I go doctor I not care about the skin color of the doctor, I care about the education.

Thailand is a good country, have a lot of the opportunity. If work hard, study hard and make your own business, can be success.

If lazy, then somnam naa. If lazy to study, train yourself, maybe you must work massage shop. Up to you! 

I have friend from south, central, north and Issan. Muslim and Buddhist. No problem.

And woman, very success in Thailand (I think because like study well more than man)

Thai woman is number one in the world!!!

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/news/top-stories/29585-thailand-has-most-women-in-top-management.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

They all anti no-white foreigner. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Ok, your experience. Thai people don’t like you.

1 minute ago, Yinn said:

They all anti no-white foreigner. 

Ok, your experience. Thai people don’t like you.

Are you aware that Europeans are generally White ?

Many White Eastern Europeans arrived in multiracial UK and turned the UK towns a little bit whiter .

Thais dont like me much now , as the Pound is 37 to the Baht , although they adored me when the Pound was 55 to the Baht

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I live in Ranong. I have many Burmese friend. Why not?

64 group

No. 

Where you get your information. Khon Kaen and Mahasarakam university train doctors, engineers etc etc. 

issan people are famous on TV, music etc.

There are many success Issan people. I go the Issan restaurant today, they have good money, sure.

They good worker.

Oh you talk about the sex worker? Yes, everybody look down on that.

most issan woman is NOT massage worker. I think you go massage a lot right?

You don’t see the issan people who work in the office, bank, management, company etc, only the massage one.

Yes you right, Central woman smoke and drink more than Issan. But only SOME people. 

I know farang like have the suntan. Up to you.

Impoverished? Maybe my dictionary wrong, but I don’t think thailand is like that.

Africa, Cambodia, not same as Thailand.

Have hospital, school, good society, so much food, job for everyone (and 3 million Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar people)

Sound like it you look down on educated people. 

You only talk about Central and Issan.

What about the lovely North people and most wonderful South people? 

The North have the most white  skin, the south very dark.

You think north people “hold me in contempt”? They not. Sure.

Also people from Nongkai (Issan) have white skin more than some central. 

Skin color is important for beauty, not the real job. If I go doctor I not care about the skin color of the doctor, I care about the education.

Thailand is a good country, have a lot of the opportunity. If work hard, study hard and make your own business, can be success.

If lazy, then somnam naa. If lazy to study, train yourself, maybe you must work massage shop. Up to you! 

I have friend from south, central, north and Issan. Muslim and Buddhist. No problem.

And woman, very success in Thailand (I think because like study well more than man)

Thai woman is number one in the world!!!

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/news/top-stories/29585-thailand-has-most-women-in-top-management.html

PM sent instead...

Edited by cranki

6 minutes ago, cranki said:

อะไรและครอบครัวพ่อแม่ของคุณสอนมาอย่างไรคุนถึงได้เหยียดหยามคนและดูถูกคนไทยด้วยกันเองทั้งที่รู้ว่าทุกคนก็เป็นคนเหมือนกันสงสัยว่าคุณคงจะวิกลจริตที่ไม่รู้ว่าคนไทยพยายามทำทุกอย่างดีที่สุดเท่าที่ทุกคนจะทำได้

Maybe my English sound rude. 

Mum and dad don’t teach me that.

is what I see. I have a brain.

Some people are drunk and lazy. Up,to them.

I say I can be friend anyone. If polite person. I don’t care skin, where from.

Edited by Yinn

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you aware that Europeans are generally White ?

Many White Eastern Europeans arrived in multiracial UK and turned the UK towns a little bit whiter .

Thais dont like me much now , as the Pound is 37 to the Baht , although they adored me when the Pound was 55 to the Baht

Meanwhile I assume that poster (judging by the overly complimentary comments about Thailand) is currently living in Thailand, a highly nationalistic, xenophobic, pretty much mono-ethnic country, that doesn't allow foreigners to purchase land, dual pricing based is supported by the authorities, where obtaining permanent residency as a foreigner is almost unicorn status. Honestly I don't care about any of that too much, some of I agree with, but don't live in a country like Thailand and then whine about 'wascyst' Western countries where the authorities and population are the most tolerant to foreigners, at least at present.