Thailand’s high-speed railway will carry first passengers in 2023

webfact

Well China seems to be the driving force behind it so it actually has a chance imho.

Big project, big budget, so also big negotiations on how to divide the loot. Hopefully there will be some money left to actually build the train line once the powers that be received their "fair share".

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Check out JR trains in Japan which is somewhat nearer. They made a public apology when a train was not on time- it left 20 seconds early!

Travelled on them a few times and yes they always seem to be on time.

You can plan a day out on a timetable and know it's going to work the way you planned it.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

The "High Speed Railway" to Chiang Mai has gone rather quiet...

Mind you, they have been planning a metre gauge branch line off the Northern Line (Bangkok to Chiang Mai) to serve Chiang Rai since the 1930s!

Don't worry... It will be ready to carry passengers by 2023 also!!!

Just about as likely as the BKK-Korat route will be...   :cheesy:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:
9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Get them a WP and help to build the railway. As Tesco would say: every little helps.

What about TM30 ?

Edited 1 minute ago by trainman34014

Ah, when employing a whole load of them, the infamous Thai Midget 30 form.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Well China seems to be the driving force behind it so it actually has a chance imho.

Big project, big budget, so also big negotiations on how to divide the loot. Hopefully there will be some money left to actually build the train line once the powers that be received their "fair share".

I doubt there will be any "loot". Like anything else it will need to have the numbers to be profitable and that would seem very questionable. I doubt project feasibility has even been though about.

If the numbers on the first leg don't stack up China will drop it like a hot brick.

Everything in Thailand seems to be done on a wing and a prayer and hope like hell nothing goes wrong; which it will.

Cement, the key ingredient in the concrete used for road and rail schemes, happens to be the third-biggest producer of anthropogenic (man-made) CO2

Maybe somebody should relay this to the PM. After all, he is chairman of Thailand's National Committee for Sustainable Development, dedicated to fighting climate change.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Well, for all the Thai bashers.

Check out the latest delays, over budget and other problems on the UK HS train.

????????

And, of course, the UK already has a "proud" track record (pun not intended!) in constructing high-speed rail lines, in the 13 years it took for the dedicated link from London to the Channel Tunnel to be built. I can well recall my return trips on Eurostar after visiting my sister in Paris during this period - whizzing at top speed through Northern France, slowing down a little through the Tunnel and, once back in Blighty, then slowing down even more to what felt like a crawl on existing rail tracks through Kent & SE London!

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And, of course, the UK already has a "proud" track record (pun not intended!) in constructing high-speed rail lines, in the 13 years it took for the dedicated link from London to the Channel Tunnel to be built. I can well recall my return trips on Eurostar after visiting my sister in Paris during this period - whizzing at top speed through Northern France, slowing down a little through the Tunnel and, once back in Blighty, then slowing down even more to what felt like a crawl on existing rail tracks through Kent & SE London!

Too many speed cameras ????????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

China rules everything and the  "General" is selling Thailand step by step to China. How much debt Thailand has now outstanding to China. Nobody knows but I assume it's also bigger then the household debt of all Thai. So what I see Thailand will be broke soon or am I just kidding 555.

Except that for now, Thailand is playing it safe and is not allowing mega Chinese projects to be built in Thailand with just Chinese laborers and having hundreds of thousands of Chinese settlers make their home here. That is why this project has been delayed so long but why it's gone ahead with little opposition in Laos. Also see what's happening in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and soon Ream national park and Koh Kong. Also, Shwe Koko in Myanmar along the Thai border. Big things happening in all three countries, particularly Cambodia and Myanmar. If Thailand sells itself out to China I don't think the Thai people will be as receptive as citizens of these three countries have been.

• Like 1

The project feasibility has been thought about.  There was a presentation at FCCT 2-3 years ago featuring former Thai Railway officials who declared that the high-speed rail would be a big money-loser for Thailand.  Apparently the only beneficiary will be China.

• Like 1

Likely in 2023 they will still be chattering about it and 'reviewing contracts' and waiting for this agency and then that agency to weigh in.  And then when it seems like it is finally all set to go, some other agency decides that a more detailed environmental study is in order first.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Except that for now, Thailand is playing it safe and is not allowing mega Chinese projects to be built in Thailand with just Chinese laborers and having hundreds of thousands of Chinese settlers make their home here. That is why this project has been delayed so long but why it's gone ahead with little opposition in Laos. Also see what's happening in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and soon Ream national park and Koh Kong. Also, Shwe Koko in Myanmar along the Thai border. Big things happening in all three countries, particularly Cambodia and Myanmar. If Thailand sells itself out to China I don't think the Thai people will be as receptive as citizens of these three countries have been.

Laos probably hopes to get out of its poverty trap rather than fear any debt trap. I don't think Thailand has any choice but to link up by rail to China because Myanmar provides another link option for China. Fortunately for Thailand, Myanmar's leaders are not so bright so it too has been dilly-dallying whether to link up with China by rail or not, although one oil and one gas pipeline has been laid. Right now they are evaluating a link from China to Mandalay and eventually to Kyaukpyu, in the Bay of Bengal. If Myanmar decides to allow China to use Chinese workers to build, then it is possible that even if the projects start later in Myanmar, they may complete the project earlier than on Thailand's side.

7 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

They are currently recruiting white van drivers to drive them and the speed limiters will be overridden to boost top speed to 300Kph.

Seriously will we ever hear these train whistles blow? Are these trains really required?

For Chinese trevelers !!!

2 hours ago, drbeach said:

I don't think the Thai people will be as receptive as citizens of these three countries have been.

For now I think Thai people are not interested in anything and they sleep and dream about food.

• Haha 1