Marriage extension at CW - painful

This seems to be some extra documents which (thanks god not all foreigners need to have) make it more complicated.

For the most foreigners the extension based on marriage is not that bad except maybe the 30 days waiting period, which means 2 trips to Chaeng Wattana!

• Like 1

for many years I did a retirement Visa instead of marriage because I thought the latter was more difficult, this did not turn out to be the case.. iT was very easy no problems, only 400 K in the bank for two months the only real difference being that you have to wait a month to get the visa. but I didn't have to go pick it up myself, a friend of mine did it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, TSF said:

Writing's really on the wall these days. Seems like they'll just keep coming up with things to make life difficult for the farang. I've got a feeling that what we are seeing now is just the start, lord knows what they'll be demanding from us next year and the year after.

Your comment is interesting never had a problem with Immigration in the years I have lived here or when leaving or arriving in Thailand.

Recently asked 8 Expats if they had any problems a mix of marriage visas and retirement extensions none of them have had problems

Strange that some people claim to have problems and others don’t.

• Like 1

@SteveAus:  Unfortunately, over the years, this section of the TV forum has become a dumping ground for those who can't adjust to Thailand and need a place to slander Thais and Immigration out of indignation.  As you and I seem to know, the vast majority of ex-pats who truly love and respect Thailand have found ways to live here without hassles.  It stands to reason then that most of them have no reason to visit this forum or, let alone, post.  That is why the discussion is so skewed to the negative experience.

Thus, the only reason for successful ex-pats in Thailand to post here is to provide some counter-examples of how it is possible to live here in peace and harmony.

My first extension had a hiccup but all's smooth sailing last five years. I've been employed at a few good schools and put my permit on top. The IO changed my pick up date twice bc of it. Thx.

Once we are seated it's 15 minutes then maybe another 5 waiting for the boss to look it all over. Those blocks are broken in two by some waiting maybe anywhere from 5-20 mins

Give them everything they need and let them toss the extra back.

Have your letter from day before. Update your book, get a photocopy and slip before opening hours.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Johnny Rotten said:

As the whole process is stressful for my wife and family, I may consider relocating next year, or get a Non O from Laos.

If you think that the marriage extension process is stressful, I shudder to think as to how you are likely to cope when your South African passport next falls due for renewal - assuming, of course, that the linked thread below from 2016 is still relevant in this context!

Edited by OJAS

13 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Your comment is interesting never had a problem with Immigration in the years I have lived here or when leaving or arriving in Thailand.

Recently asked 8 Expats if they had any problems a mix of marriage visas and retirement extensions none of them have had problems

Strange that some people claim to have problems and others don’t.

So a selective sample of 10 had no problems....out of perhaps an estimated 500,000. I think I would get similar results if I asked at the Expats Club. But sitting waiting my turn at immigration, I seem to see more. 

• Like 1

OP, what requirements are different this year from last year ? 

Besides your unique Police document, it sounds like you are just quoting the usual documents required every year, and usually its 2 copies

What are the documents your wife is required to fill in ?

Maybe I am missing something but It doesn't appear to be any changes from the process or the documents that are always required.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1