Delay Brexit? I'd rather be dead in a ditch, says PM Johnson

webfact

Just now, Forethat said:

And in what way would "leave" (with or without a deal) prelude us from rejoining again at some point in the future should the majority wish it? I thought that would be obvious, but apparently not.

Some people...

My prediction for the future, with timings

UK leaves EU eventually

Scotland leaves UK quickly

Scotland joins EU almost immediately

England joins EU eventually, when they can meet the criteria

Remember, you read it here firsr

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Forethat said:

And in what way would "leave" (with or without a deal) prelude us from rejoining again at some point in the future should the majority wish it? I thought that would be obvious, but apparently not.

Some people...

It wouldn't.

But if we left and rejoined we would not do so on the same favourable terms we have now; we would lose, for example, the rebate.

In addition, among other things we would have to commit to joining Schengen and the Euro.

Some people...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

My prediction for the future, with timings

UK leaves EU eventually

Scotland leaves UK quickly

Scotland joins EU almost immediately

England joins EU eventually, when they can meet the criteria

Remember, you read it here firsr

What about Northern Ireland and Wales?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Some people...

EU , would set conditions for re-entry , including  accepting euro , end of gbp. etc..

Thats  only a starter ...

Edited by elliss

1 minute ago, Slip said:

You are not thinking this through.  What the idea seven 7s brought up would do is give the moderates (and therefore the majority) 2 bites at the cherry because of the two votes concept.  Broadly speaking, No deal supporters would vote no deal, deal; remainers would vote remain, deal: and soft brexit types would vote deal, then go one way or the other.  Having said that perhaps it would only work if voters were obliged to choose 2 options to validate their vote.  I daresay no-one would be entirely happy, but it may allow some movement towards consensus.  More than we have now at least.

I'm probably the ONLY one thinking this through.

I am giving everyone two bites at the cherry - why should remainers be restricted to one option when the outcome of their decision is clearly not static?

16 minutes ago, tebee said:

What might also preclude us from rejoining would be the state of the economy after we've trashed what left of out manufacturing capacity, the finance industry has moved en-masse to the rest of europe and the government has spent billions it hasn't got trying to support all those collapsing injuries.

We could be the new Greece  

Greece..!? Have you raised the question on forum.greecevisa.com ??

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Forethat said:

Greece..!? Have you raised the question on forum.greecevisa.com ??

Well, of course not forum.greecevisa.com doesn't exist because we don't need visas to go to Greece - we all have freedom of moment - remember ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Johnson saying he will get a deal on the 16th and 17th - what's the plan then ?

May's deal but with the backstop just for NI - DUp thrown under that red bus... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Well, of course not forum.greecevisa.com doesn't exist because we don't need visas to go to Greece - we all have freedom of moment - remember ?

"We" being who? I don't need a visa to go to Thailand either, yet forum.thaivisa.com exists. In addition my daughter cannot go to Greece without a visa. Heck, I can't go there myself without a visa for longer than a 90 day tourist trip.

You probably didn't think that through before you clicked "Submit Reply"...?

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 7by7 said:

It's not my idea, but I have posted the most rational suggestion for that ballot before; but here it is again.

Three options on the ballot paper.

1. Leave with the negotiated deal.
  2. Leave with no deal.
  3. Remain.

Each voter marks their first and second choices. If no option has 50% plus one of the first choices, then the option with the fewest first choices is eliminated and the second choices on those papers allocated to the chosen option to produce a winner.

You seem to prefer another referendum, as opposed to a General Election.

Can you then please confirm if it is true, that in a General election, you must be a British citizen, or a citizen of a British commonwealth country, or  bizarrely a citizen of the Irish republic.

But in a British referendum, to determine the direction of OUR country! citizens of every E.U. Country who happen to be living in the U.K will also be allowed to vote. This of course would include those thousand of E.U. Citizens who take it upon themselves to demonstrate in OUR capital city.If this is correct, then it would seem to me to be fundamentally wrong, and will never be acceptable to the British people.

Edited by Thairealist
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, tebee said:

What might also preclude us from rejoining would be the state of the economy after we've trashed what left of out manufacturing capacity, the finance industry has moved en-masse to the rest of europe and the government has spent billions it hasn't got trying to support all those collapsing injuries.

We could be the new Greece  

What manufacturing capacity? Have you not noticed that over the last 30yrs much of it has already been transferred to Eastern Europe, much to the detriment of our own workers. And to add salt to the wound, we have been paying for this economic catastrophe through our charitable contributions to Brussels.

1 hour ago, Thairealist said:

You seem to prefer another referendum, as opposed to a General Election.

Can you then please confirm if it is true, that in a General election, you must be a British citizen, or a citizen of a British commonwealth country, or  bizarrely a citizen of the Irish republic.

But in a British referendum, to determine the direction of OUR country! citizens of every E.U. Country who happen to be living in the U.K will also be allowed to vote. 

Dear, oh dear. Don't you Brexiteers ever do any research and basic fact checking?

Let me do it for you by directing you to the UK government: Types of election, referendums, and who can vote  

To vote in a General Election you must:

• be registered to vote
  • be 18 or over on the day of the election (‘polling day’)
  • be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
  • be resident at an address in the UK (or a British citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)
  • not be legally excluded from voting

To vote in a referendum you must:

• be registered to vote
  • be 18 or over on the day of the referendum (‘polling day’)
  • be a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen
  • be resident at an address in the UK or Gibraltar (or a British citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)
  • not be legally excluded from voting

The referendum rules can be modified to exclude people. For example, in the 2014 Scottish independence referendum only Scottish residents could vote. But they cannot be modified to allow those not already entitled to vote to do so unless Parliament amends the Representation of the Peoples Act 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Forethat said:

<snip>

Ehh, no. We don't get a "rebate". The word "rebate" is used to define the difference that is made up by our VAT base compared to our GDP. In real money we are STILL one of the highest contributors.

I refer you to @bristolboy's explanation of how then rebate actually works; with properly researched links to confirm.

Why do you Brexiteers rarely do research and check facts before posting? Save you a lot of embarrassment if you did!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I refer you to @bristolboy's explanation of how then rebate actually works; with properly researched links to confirm.

Why do you Brexiteers rarely do research and check facts before posting? Save you a lot of embarrassment if you did!

in the true sense of the word , it isnt actually a rebate ,because a rebate is overpaid money which is returned .  

THe UK doesn't relieve a rebate , it just gets a discount the following year .

But he we are again , yourself once again suggesting that other posters are intellectually lacking and myself once again explaining to you what words mean

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Dear, oh dear. Don't you Brexiteers ever do any research and basic fact checking?

So why are you so afraid of allowing the British people to decide at a General Election. Could it be that you know the result would not be to your liking.

Edited by Thairealist

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

in the true sense of the word , it isnt actually a rebate ,because a rebate is overpaid money which is returned .  

THe UK doesn't relieve a rebate , it just gets a discount the following year .

But he we are again , yourself once again suggesting that other posters are intellectually lacking and myself once again explaining to you what words mean

Call it a rebate, correction, abatement even discount if you want to (as can be seen from @bristolboy's links, most people, including HMG and the EU, usually use rebate); the fact is @Forethat's attempted explanation of it and dismissal of it was completely incorrect.

Tell us, do you honestly believe that if we were to leave the EU and then in a few years time go back to the EU cap in hand pleading to be allowed back in that they would agree to us receiving this money, whatever you wish to call it, once more?

BTW,  I did not suggest that any one was intellectually lacking. What I did suggest was that two members should do some research and fact checking before posting in order to avoid embarrassment. The words "intellectually lacking" are yours, not mine.