Incoming baggage to be x-rayed at Suvarnabhumi by next year: Customs

webfact

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I get Barry's tea from Ireland, with 80 bags costing me 7 Euros including postage. Each bag is so strong I can use it twice. Far, far cheaper than the tea here, even Liptons which is the tea equivalent of McDonalds - universally available but not very good.

Now, cue comments of "If you're so poor you use a teabag twice go back where you came from." ????

There's a tea company in my home town which does tea just like that - Rington's. 

https://www.ringtons.co.uk/tea-c1/tea-bags-c2/ringtons-breakfast-tea-bags-x-100-p2

Three pint mugs of their breakfast tea in the morning is an instant hangover cure.  It's £3.60 for a pack of 100.   Not cheap but you get what you pay for.  I don't use the bag twice because I use a pint mug.

Until just a few months before she died in July, my mother would post out 6 packets every few months and did for about 12 years - she paid for the tea and the postage too.  When I went over to see her a few days before she went, I went to the company who have a small shop and bought 14 packs back with me.  I'm not looking forward to running out.  

ringtons-breakfast-tea-bags-x-100-p2-3932_medium.png

Edited by Mister Fixit

24 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

There's a tea company in my home town which does tea just like that - Rington's. 

https://www.ringtons.co.uk/tea-c1/tea-bags-c2/ringtons-breakfast-tea-bags-x-100-p2

Three pint mugs of their breakfast tea in the morning is an instant hangover cure.  It's £3.60 for a pack of 100.   Not cheap but you get what you pay for.  I don't use the bag twice because I use a pint mug.

Until just a few months before she died in July, my mother would post out 6 packets every few months and did for about 12 years - she paid for the tea and the postage too.  When I went over to see her a few days before she went, I went to the company who have a small shop and bought 14 packs back with me.  I'm not looking forward to running out.  

ringtons-breakfast-tea-bags-x-100-p2-3932_medium.png

Well, you could get it by mail order, although I see they want to charge over 50 pounds for postage which is obviously an error. Might be worth contacting them when you get low on supplies.

A friend of my wife who lives in the UK recently came to the village to visit her dying mother, and brought me a box of mixed teas from Fortnum & Mason. Can't get much better than that.

• Like 1

Yes, I did ask about postage when I was over but they quoted that too-expensive 50-odd pounds.  My nephew is coming out in January so I'll ask him to bring me half a dozen packs out.  Then my niece is coming out in March so she's going to be another courier, then my eldest lad is coming out in April, so he's got a job to do as well.

I have been weaning myself onto Tesco UK's red label tea which is in my local store.  It's nothing like as good as the Rington's but it's just about acceptable.  

I remember having Barry's tea when I was on honeymoon in Ireland 4 years ago.  It's pretty good.  

16 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Yes, I did ask about postage when I was over but they quoted that too-expensive 50-odd pounds.  My nephew is coming out in January so I'll ask him to bring me half a dozen packs out.  Then my niece is coming out in March so she's going to be another courier, then my eldest lad is coming out in April, so he's got a job to do as well.

I have been weaning myself onto Tesco UK's red label tea which is in my local store.  It's nothing like as good as the Rington's but it's just about acceptable.  

I remember having Barry's tea when I was on honeymoon in Ireland 4 years ago.  It's pretty good.  

That Tesco tea isn't bad. I had it for a while. I used to get people to bring me Fray Bentos meat puddings, which seem to be universally unpopular with others. Villa sold them for a while, at double price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justin case said:

so whatever you bring in will be slight radioactive ...

you know what is efficient x-ray? go to singapore ...

there is an x-ray machine for every GATE ... no long waiting at one point as in good old thai

Check the difference between radiation and contamination.

X-rays and gamma rays don't make you radioactive.

1 hour ago, ttrd said:
I did - have you ... ????
Question - We plan to bring our 15-month-old grandson to Sicily for vacation, flying a commercial airline from the Philippines. Will the radiation while flying during our 12-hour trip plus the return flight be dangerous to his health?
Answer - There is no evidence to indicate that the low-level exposure that will be received on the single round-trip flight you have described will pose any harm to your grandson. The total dose from such a trip is only a few percent of the naturally occurring differences in background radiation that exist from one place to another on the Earth. People live healthy lives in areas where exposures over their entire lifetimes are differentially much greater than the in-flight exposure you have described.
Source - Radiation Exposure During Commercial Airline Flights

Yes I have read a bit on it.

Spent a few years working as an industrial radiogapher.

Just one of the few books I still have ????

20190907_185913.jpg

Edited by overherebc

i assumed most luggage was xrayed before you pick it up.in uk airports they do it and they wait to check you.they have caught so many cigs coming in.so i imagined swampy did the same before it reached u in the terminal.maybe they will have the signs around and hope to catch something.cigs and brooze maybe,but cigs are cheap and imported brooze so so with tax and police checks in bars.you need the tax  code on the bottle.unless the thais try to bring in things that the government want tax from.also if you do go thru the green  line at swampy u have to put your bags thru the xray machine anyway.

19 hours ago, SMEinBangkok said:

"Thailand customs allows visitors to enter Thailand with personal effects, the value of which does not exceed 80,000 Baht, without paying import fees as long as: 1) the items are specifically for personal or professional use; 2) the amount of goods are reasonable; and 3) the items are not subject to restriction or prohibition."

This is the next TM30-style debacle.  Personal effects means clothing, toiletries, phones, tablets, computers, etc.  80,000 baht is $2700 USD, roughly.  And notice the wording....essentially every single person they stop for a 'customs' inspection will end up owing money for bringing in their used computers, suits, etc. for use while visiting Thailand.

Yup, my computer already goes above the 80k baht....my clothes as well.....

My wife got caught last week, she had a new expensive watch and was wearing it. They looked at it and said it was a cheap model and let her pass. She was lucky that they didn't tell her to open the suitcase.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

If they are scanning baggage then there should be no need to open it. I agree locked bags are no real deterrent but I’ve found that if you put a small cable tie in addition to the lock it’s impossible to open the bag without cutting the tie and thus leaving the evidence that the bag was tampered with. Just one more deterrent.

You should watch youtube and see how they can open the zipper and close it again without any traces...

On 9/6/2019 at 3:16 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

Most lemmings and that includes most travelers allow them to full body xray them.

XRAY.

I always opt out.  But then I also travel with a child. They don't let you get go through the full body scanner with a child.  

Do you know why?

Because... because... because you're not a lemming?

Edited by NanLaew
sp

I guess a lot of people will remember the old customs declaration form you used to have to fill out every time you arrived.

You needed to list the more expensive items like cameras, laptops, etc, and hand it to a customs officer every time you came in!

I wonder if they will bring this back again

1 hour ago, Timebandit said:

As they don't allow my wife to bring her small bottle of contact lens cleaner, just how much fuel oil would one be able to smuggle?

This is getting really, really stupid. Good I moved to Phnom Penh.

Explain how the international security rules on carry-on liquids has anything to do with arrival baggage being checked for contraband (again, a pretty standard thing, not unusual at all).

Glad you're enjoying Phnom Penh though, that's nice for you.  Do they let you carry any liquids on board then?  Certainly didn't last time I was there a month or so ago, and nor should they if they want international certification.