Incoming baggage to be x-rayed at Suvarnabhumi by next year: Customs

webfact

48 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Of course they will be scanned before the carousel - that's what the article says.

And they have ordered 23 machines.  There are 23 carousels.

The article say the machines will be installed above the carousels not before. Perhaps a slight mistranslation?

I was last in arrivals 4 weeks ago and did not see any signs of installation works. I'll be there again Sunday week and be sure to have a look around then.

If they were going to be scanned before the carousel why the need for 23 scanners? They could easily just use three or four machines further upstream in the baggage handling facility and track suspect bags using the bar codes.

As I said previously about Myanmar. You take your bags, including carry on, and get them scanned then you leave. You get busted on the spot red-handed so to speak if you have anything you shouldn't have.

Maybe they will rearrange the arrivals hall in a similar way and do away with the existing green/red exit. That would be an improvement on the current bottleneck.

I think its a little premature to claim to know exactly what the arrangement will be at the moment.

Personally I don't care what they do. I bring in 200 smokes and a 1 litre bottle of Johnnie Walker Double Black (which I buy for about 800 baht) quite legally every time I come to Thailand.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, masuk said:

On a brief visit to China last year, I stayed at a small hotel, and the first thing I had to do was place my luggage onto an x-ray machine, opposite the check-in desk.

That's a first for me.  Never had a hotel do this before.

Having passed the test, I was then allowed to check in.  ????

The Shangri-la hotel in Bangkok also screens all bags before entering the hotel, same as some other Bangkok hotels. 

35 minutes ago, elaxjt said:

Well I have been stopped every time I come through Suvarnabhumi. Whether it is alone or with my Thai wife. 

Regardless of this it still states that the x-rays will be installed on the baggage carousels so unless the Thai government introduce customs forms along with the TM6 on arrival there is no way to declare that you have more than the allowance allowed 

I guess you are unlucky then or somehow attract attention. Either way it will add a whole one minute to your busy schedule.

They may well introduce a custom declaration form, who knows. Didn't they use to have one years ago?

Krisada noted that with the x-ray machines, customs officials can see what is in the luggage and immediately prompt the passengers to pay the Customs duty before leaving the airport.

Land Of Shakedowns.

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

TSA have lots of reports saying it's safe etc and also reports saying that it can cause problems as they may not be able to stand still  long enough etc. They can do the walk through of the metal detectors but don't need to remove shoes for it.

You can opt for a pat down instead but then people are posting about kids suffering trauma when patted down by a 6 foot 6 inch scowling officer and some have gone as far as to say it could be used for grooming kids by sexual predators. So lots of reasons. 

Six foot six Thai man no such animal, three foot six more like it. Haven’t you notice they’re all little <deleted>s with little willy complex.

Another way to rob the farang. Looks like they have too many tourists and they want yo cut back. I believe this will work. I can already see and hear the arguements at customs. Thailand "the"destination for the gullible, uninformed

and soon to be robbed. If not by customs then the police will have you for some invented infringement of their right under the law to take money from you.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

OMG!

You did not forget the baked beans for putting on your toast, did you?

And let me guess, that so called cheese was actually cheddar? Mild, medium or tasty?

Sorry, Old Hippy, I forgot to mention the 14 large packs of a particular tea that I like, which my aged mother used to send me but as she died aged 101 and one day during my trip, I won't be getting those sent out any more.  I had to take as many back with me as I could and will have to ration myself from now on.  ???? 

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Because on the incoming luggage end of things, they're not really concerned about security issues.

They're concerned about MONEY issues, as in, increasing the customs duty/tax that they can extract from arriving passengers bringing home retail goods purchased abroad.

Wow! This is going to save me a bunch of money!

Sorry honey, can't bring anymore gifts for you from overseas! 

20 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I guess you are unlucky then or somehow attract attention. Either way it will add a whole one minute to your busy schedule.

They may well introduce a custom declaration form, who knows. Didn't they use to have one years ago?

In the 10 years since I started coming here I have never had to fill a custom form in

6 minutes ago, elaxjt said:

If they are going to install these above the carousel (possibly on the belt before the luggage drops to the carousel itself), are they also going to install luggage tag readers? Or have someone standing where the bags drop down with labels denoting which bags have to pay extra duties?

The carousel is the moving belt from which the bags are collected as pictured and so X-Ray machines "above the carousel" will no doubt ensure that all travellers waiting for their bags will get more radiation than from a month on the beach at Fukushima.  Anyone working in the baggage hall won't live long.  It's more important to catch smugglers than to worry about giving the tourists cancer. 

2 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Sorry, Old Hippy, I forgot to mention the 14 large packs of a particular tea that I like, which my aged mother used to send me but as she died aged 101 and one day during my trip, I won't be getting those sent out any more.  I had to take as many back with me as I could and will have to ration myself from now on.  ???? 

I get Barry's tea from Ireland, with 80 bags costing me 7 Euros including postage. Each bag is so strong I can use it twice. Far, far cheaper than the tea here, even Liptons which is the tea equivalent of McDonalds - universally available but not very good.

Now, cue comments of "If you're so poor you use a teabag twice go back where you came from." ????

1 hour ago, Homburg said:

The carousel is the moving belt from which the bags are collected as pictured and so X-Ray machines "above the carousel" will no doubt ensure that all travellers waiting for their bags will get more radiation than from a month on the beach at Fukushima.  Anyone working in the baggage hall won't live long.  It's more important to catch smugglers than to worry about giving the tourists cancer. 

Course they will.  Just like all baggage handlers and security staff keep dropping dead in airports around the world.  

Have you ever checked how much radiation you get during a twelve hour flight.

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Have you ever checked how much radiation you get during a twelve hour flight.

I did - have you ... ????
Question - We plan to bring our 15-month-old grandson to Sicily for vacation, flying a commercial airline from the Philippines. Will the radiation while flying during our 12-hour trip plus the return flight be dangerous to his health?
Answer - There is no evidence to indicate that the low-level exposure that will be received on the single round-trip flight you have described will pose any harm to your grandson. The total dose from such a trip is only a few percent of the naturally occurring differences in background radiation that exist from one place to another on the Earth. People live healthy lives in areas where exposures over their entire lifetimes are differentially much greater than the in-flight exposure you have described.
Source - Radiation Exposure During Commercial Airline Flights

Most airports have xrays of incoming luggage on the carousel, I doubt the radiation will be of any consequence for those waiting to collect luggage

2 hours ago, Homburg said:

There is no doubt that ignorance itself is the biggest threat ... :thumbsup:

A chest X-ray exposes patients to roughly 1,000 times the radiation of an airport scanner. The Health Physics Society estimates that airport X-ray scanners deliver 0.1 microsieverts of radiation per scan

https://www.livescience.com/65671-are-airport-xrays-harmful.html

If I declare excess tobacco am I allowed to pay the duty and keep it for my 5-month stay, or is it automatically confiscated? I think the declaration would keep me from being fined, but I would really like to keep my quality pipe tobacco, which is something not attainable in Thailand. No, neither Captain Black nor Borkum Riff at the Bangkok malls are what I consider 'quality'.

Archived