Police. Immigration. Press. Why do you let them into your home?

4675636b596f75

They're not getting in here without climbing over the gates and knocking the doors down.

I remember once there was a news article about some guy in Pattaya, they wanted to arrest him and he was holed up inside a house and they had to wait for him to come out because he wouldn't let them in.

They waited for a few days before he finally came out I think - this was a good few years back. I'm pretty sure I read it as a news article on this website.

That photo in the OP looks a bit like a hotel room.

Edited by ukrules

4 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Good plan.  If they have a warrant, they can kick it in.  Never talk to police.  Not in the USA and not here.  Never.

This should be required viewing for everyone living in the US and should be taught in public schools, but the same principles apply to people living everywhere:

"Don't Talk to the Police"

"Regent Law Professor James Duane gives viewers startling reasons why they should always exercise their 5th Amendment rights when questioned by government officials"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

It's important to know what rights people are given in specific countries. In the US there is the 5th Amendment to the Constitution.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Good plan.  If they have a warrant, they can kick it in.  Never talk to police.  Not in the USA and not here.  Never.

Just put the headset on, listen to some music, pretend you did not hear the knocks at the door.

35 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"The police cannot just search your home without a warrant, not even in Thailand.

You don't have to speak with them.

You can meet with them on your own terms and certainly not in your dwelling.

You can refuse to allow press into your home. 

Do people not know this?"

No, I didn't.

I've tried to learn that though but haven't found a source.

I started a thread once asking if there is a writeup somewhere like "Know Your Rights in Thailand".

But no one responded with one, just advice giving their subjective opinions about how to deal with the police in general and personal anecdotes.

In the US, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and many others have written on "Know Your Rights" and these are available online.

Several groups recently had online postings about "Know Your Rights with ICE [Immigration]" for legal and illegal immigrants in the US.

I had no idea what the law in Thailand allows and doesn't allow.

How did you find out? Is there something written in English somewhere? It would be a valuable resource - if it exists.

Short and quick answer: I was sleeping with a Thai Lawyer.  

An even quicker answer:  If you don't know what your rights are, you have none.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

It's important to know what rights people are given in specific countries. In the US there is the 5th Amendment to the Constitution.

We have not been given rights in the USA.  

As an American I have no right given to me by the 1st Amendment.  

The 2nd Amendment does not give me the right to bear arms.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Do you see you or me referenced above?  No. The 1st Amendment does not give me free speech.  Notice that the amendment tells government what it cannot do, not you and me.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

You can refuse to allow press into your home

I find this strange in Thailand. It seems the press follows the police everywhere and nobody stops them.

If the police wants to talk to me then they can talk to me. But I certainly wouldn't want any press with cameras around. Just the fact that they would possibly publish pictures or video with me and the police would indicate that I did something wrong. In my opinion the press has no right to do that if I don't allow it.

I just asked my gf and she told me she knows police can't just come in without a warrant or a good reason. But it seems that "good reason" might be that the police thinks people play card which is illegal in Thailand.

Maybe police have reasons like "there was this marihuana smell" or something like that...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brokenbone said:

no, if he refuse, they dont know that something is wrong,

and his refusal may not be hiding something,

you arent logical.

hows that for a sandwish ?

Yes, I am. In Thailand everybody by tradition spill their guts as soon as they see the police. Therefore the way of thinking here is that you are hiing something if you are not willing to show it. 

The logic in Thai and not western. That´s where you are going fatally wrong.

• Confused 1