Airline cracks down on smuggling by its flight attendants

rooster59

Airline cracks down on smuggling by its flight attendants

By The Nation

800_963f6c13e9e3f86.png

Thai Airways has introduced measures to deal with employees who avoid tax on goods they bring into country. The airline recently learned from customs that some of its flight attendants had been caught smuggling goods from Italy that exceeded the permitted allowance. Disciplinary action will be taken against such employee, it said.

Suthirat Siriphananon, chief executive officer of In-flight Services at Thai Airways, said that the company has a policy that forbids employees exceeding the allowance for duty-free and other goods with the intent to avoid import duty. The company monitors suspicious behaviour and informs customs of any infractions.

Customs officials recently intercepted some female flight attendants returning from Italy who had sought to bring in more products than permitted and had not declared the excess. The women were fined and their actions reported to the airline. Thai International penalizes employees who go against company's regulations, with the maximum penalty involving dismissal.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375928

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-07

So a crew does 2 int' flights a week and each can bring 200 cigs twice a week and a Ltr of good whisky. Some don't smoke or drink so after clearing customs they pass on to the one who wants it. Depending on numbers that could add up.

Leave without a 'designer' hand bag and come with one on your arm, twice a week.

I have checked in a few times in London at the same time as the crew.  The cabin crew generally have a small case and a carry-on bag but the cockpit crew seem to have 1 or 2 enormous hard plastic cases each, I always wonder what they need for a 1 or 2 day lay over tat will fill those.????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The airline recently learned from customs that some of its flight attendants had been caught smuggling goods from Italy that exceeded the permitted allowance.

Hilarious! 

The Thai/THAI flight attendants have been smuggling for DECADES. 

I friend of my family runs an entire luxury wine shop from smuggling in wines from Europe. 

They are such clowns, the lot of them. 

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Hilarious! 

The Thai/THAI flight attendants have been smuggling for DECADES. 

I friend of my family runs an entire luxury wine shop from smuggling in wines from Europe. 

They are such clowns, the lot of them. 

There's a whole shopping mall in the chatuchak area based on airline smuggling, i forgot the name tho, maybe someone else knows. It's run by some hiso thai lady

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1