New AIS Fibre Internet Plan....1Gb Speed for Bt999/month

Pib

Getting almost impossible to keep up with new internet plans from AIS/3BB/True/CAT/etc.   Plans that keep offering higher speeds at lower cost.   Example: below new AIS Fibre 1Gb Plans......1000/100 for as low as Bt999/mo....but a 24 month contract required...see below weblink and snapshot.

Almost all of my home internet connections between the router and devices is via Wifi vs ethernet, so 1Gb download speed is way more than my devices can even come close to handling so I will be sticking to my current AIS Fibre 300/100 plan. 

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_supermeshwifi.html

image.png.ae6d4c2e093a2adcc15a065af008a5ac.png

Interesting package... though obviously, AIS's international connection speeds are NOT going to be the same as their domestic ones. And as best as I can recall, I don't remember seeing any reliable reports here of just what kind of international speeds any of the various ISP 1GB plans being offered lately are providing...

Another detail issue: I'm not familiar with the technology of the Nokia mesh router units that AIS is offering here. So I'd be wondering what, if any, capability those units would have to support firmware-based VPN connections like a lot of folks around here currently use with their various ASUS routers. 

Someone explain why you would need gigantic international speeds?

For a 4K video stream 25 Mbps is sufficient, and i believe that all current fiber plans deliver at least double that.

With a 1Gb international speed that 90 minute movie will be still 90 minutes.

For international based website, 1Gbps will not make any difference with 50 Mbps.

For torrents you will get your full speed of 1Gbps because of the multiple connections.

Most downloads these days are stored on sites like Mega, mediafire or the like and will also give you your full speed.

Other downloads you use a download manager, and again you will most likely reach close to your full speed.

Looking forward to your arguments

10 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

Someone explain why you would need gigantic international speeds?

Such speeds are useful if you have many users - hotels, companies and so on. For a normal household this is an overkill. And as some said here already - important is the real speed that you get. And here the international speeds would be interesting. And many servers you connect to will never deliver such a speed. Also your own devices might/will not be able to support this high speed

16 minutes ago, muratremix said:

My 200 Mbps AIS gets pretty boring speeds to Singapore and other locations nowadays. 3BB is way better. I have both of them.

How much is boring?

Edit: I just did a quick test to Singapore using testmy.net and speedtest.net....got 168Mb and 189Mb, repectively.  I'm on a 300Mb plan.

14 minutes ago, Pib said:

How much is boring?

Edit: I just did a quick test to Singapore using testmy.net and speedtest.net....got 168Mb and 189Mb, repectively.  I'm on a 300Mb plan.

My speed got a bump when I use Overdrive option. However, I never used this website before and my speed was a boring 10Mbps or so, which is a lot lower than before. 

my package is 200/100 and I pay 899 with that 4Mbps sim card that I never use anyways.

I have 500/500 3BB in my shop which is 100 meters from my home.

3 minutes ago, muratremix said:

My speed got a bump when I use Overdrive option. However, I never used this website before and my speed was a boring 10Mbps or so, which is a lot lower than before. 

Yea...that's extremely boring.   I'm on the 300/100 plan (one of those Power4Maxx plans with SIM, Playbox, etc).  When I was on a similar plans at 200/100 and 200/50 my download speeds were 160-190Mb....and everyone once in a while I would pull significantly above 200.  When I went to the 300Mb plan the international speeds stayed same-same. 

I only went to the 300Mb plan because it was the same price as my old 200Mb plan...AIS does not upgrade a person automatically until the person changes to a new plan....or at least they never upgraded me automatically.

41 minutes ago, Pib said:

How much is boring?

I'm getting similar speeds to singapore server.   I usually use dslreports but in firefox it can use several GB of memory.

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

We have the 3BB 200/100 package (upgraded automatically) and the local speeds are at least that but going through an android box it drops to 30-40 Mbps and some live sports downloads still freeze or buffer.

As "gaveny" said above no trouble with Fox from OZ though.

Is your android box using Wifi or ethernet connection?   

Wifi is it 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz?  Which standard?  (802.11 b/g/n vs 802.11n/ac vs 802.11ax) 

For ethernet, Is it 100Mbps or 1000Mbps maximum speed?  Are you using at least a Cat5e cable?

You can't always assume just because it is modern device that it will support the latest.  Asus zenfone max pro m2 still only has 2.4Ghz max frequency radio.  (42Mbps/45Mbps depending on which speedtest provider I use; they have to cripple something to justify the flagship versions of the device). 

I have a 3rd gen intel acer laptop that has 5Ghz capacity on the wifi.  And (with the correct drivers) 300Mbps maximum.  The speedtest is getting ~180Mbps/~150Mbps  It is supposed to be 100/100 fiber plan for 590, but they've always given me 200/200 in practice.  The ethernet port on the same laptop is unfortunately 100Mbps max.  If it was 1000Mbps, things would be very interesting as the ethernet connections are normally a lot more stable.

26 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

I have a 3rd gen intel acer laptop that has 5Ghz capacity on the wifi.  And (with the correct drivers) 300Mbps maximum.  The speedtest is getting ~180Mbps/~150Mbps  It is supposed to be 100/100 fiber plan for 590, but they've always given me 200/200 in practice.  The ethernet port on the same laptop is unfortunately 100Mbps max.  If it was 1000Mbps, things would be very interesting as the ethernet connections are normally a lot more stable.

I've got an ACER laptop at home as well that came with a built-in AC, dual band wifi adapter that is hardware limited to about 420 Mbps top capacity. I ended up substituting it for an external USB dual band AC wifi adapter that's supposed to be able to reach up to 850 Mbps or so based on its 5 GHz specs....

In the real world of wifi, I'm not sure either of those wifi adapters could actually reach their peak speeds.  But I figured by getting the faster 850 Mbps peak external adapter, it's at least giving me some headroom and space to grow for my current 200/200 Mbps 3BB domestic fiber plan. Via the laptop's AC 5 GHz wifi, I think I can get up to 100 Mbps or so right now for a domestic Thai connection.

9 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Is your android box using Wifi or ethernet connection?   

Wifi is it 2.4Ghz or 5.0Ghz?  Which standard?  (802.11 b/g/n vs 802.11n/ac vs 802.11ax) 

For ethernet, Is it 100Mbps or 1000Mbps maximum speed?  Are you using at least a Cat5e cable?

The android box is using Wifi at 2.4Ghz (the 3BB router has both 2.4 and 5.0Ghz).  Not technical enough to find what 802.?? or ethernet speed.

I have been wondering if an ethernet connection would be better. the cable I have says it is 2.4Ghz.

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Last year, I tool the offer from AIS of 50GB/sec speed.
I never had that speed.
Always around the 25GB/sec.
Brought the whole stuff back after 14 days and cancelled my contract with AIS.

No such thing as a AIS 50GB/second plan (which would be 350Gb/second) or even a 50Gb/sec plan.   1Gb (1000Mb) plans via fibre optics are the fastest plans provided to homes.

Sounds like you are getting your GB, Gb, and Mb terms confused. 

Maybe you are talking "mobile data/SIM" plans that are rated in "GB of data allowed each month" but that is not their speed.  The speed will be whatever 3G/4G speed you get which can vary greatly from just few Mb to typically something below 50Mb...but it can be higher if close to a tower with few users.  Like on my DTAC 3G/4G 40GB mobile data/SIM plan I'm getting 40Mb speed setting in my home right now....but I now if I got to the mall about a kilometer away I will be lucky to get 10Mb.

For my home fibre optics plan I have an AIS Fibre 300Mb speed plan.....1Gb (1000Mb) is the fastest fibre optics plan offered by AIS.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:31 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In the real world of wifi, I'm not sure either of those wifi adapters could actually reach their peak speeds.  But I figured by getting the faster 850 Mbps peak external adapter, it's at least giving me some headroom and space to grow for my current 200/200 Mbps 3BB domestic fiber plan. Via the laptop's AC 5 GHz wifi, I think I can get up to 100 Mbps or so right now for a domestic Thai connection.

Check your wifi driver.  It is possible the one that windows auto-installs may be more "generic"

I had a fresh reinstall of win8.1 x64 installed on a new SSD and then when 3bb came out to do a repair, the speedtest was like 70-80Mbps down/ 40-50Mbps up.  I thought this was bizarre and the 3bb person on their phone and their laptop showed 200Mbps down/up easy.

Spend all day doing all kinds of gaming tweaks and reading articles to see if something happened.

I still had the old SSD and I had not wiped it yet.  So I swapped the drives and sure enough, I was getting 180 down/up on the wifi.  So then I knew it was not a hardware problem.  And I never did any tweaks before to speed up internet.   So I went back to the new hard drive, uninstalled the Wifi driver and installed the wifi driver from the manufacturer's website (Acer) (win7x64 or win8x64 driver).  And that seems to have done the trick (not sure if I had to reboot).

edit:  speedtest with old/buggy wifi driver was showing download speeds that were inconsistent and "wavy"  It would be a sine wave constantly fluctuating 15-25 Mbps every few seconds for the entire test.  Even when I applied speed tweaks, it was still very wavy in the tests. 

With the old hard drive (and the new one with correct driver), the speedtest showed a straight or leveled off speed in the majority of the tests.  

TL:DR  The wifi driver could be incorrect and thus you are not getting the fast speeds.

You can right click on the wifi adapter and view the status.  See what the Mbps says there.

1471473685_wifihowtoviewnetworkdevicestatus.png.4f946096c1beaa96efb5e26575011a7e.png

q:  did you try Ethernet connection?  if you have 1000Mbps Ethernet adapter, you might be golden there.

14 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The android box is using Wifi at 2.4Ghz (the 3BB router has both 2.4 and 5.0Ghz).  Not technical enough to find what 802.?? or ethernet speed.

I have been wondering if an ethernet connection would be better. the cable I have says it is 2.4Ghz.

Yep, the android box using 2.4Ghz will limit the speeds to maximum 54 Mbps (you would likely get 40-48 real world depending on quality of the wifi adapter.  

The ethernet connection should get at least 100Mbps down/up, with greater stability.  Make sure the cable is at least 5e (most are).

Do a speed test and report back what you get.  How old is the android box? (what year was it manufactured?)

10 hours ago, wpcoe said:

And, here I sit with my 3BB 18/1.8Mbps ADSL.  What on earth or you guys going on about?  :biggrin:

3bb should still be doing the promotion where they lease the fiber modem to you + install free.  I held on to the ASDL for a long time (not broken, don't fix it).  But several others in the area had gotten fiber and it was a night/day difference when I tried.   I finally took the plunge several months back....NO regrets whatsoever.  And I convinced a lot of other people to upgrade also.

11 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Yep, the android box using 2.4Ghz will limit the speeds to maximum 54 Mbps (you would likely get 40-48 real world depending on quality of the wifi adapter.  

The ethernet connection should get at least 100Mbps down/up, with greater stability.  Make sure the cable is at least 5e (most are).

Do a speed test and report back what you get.  How old is the android box? (what year was it manufactured?)

Thanks, had an old cable that is 5e. Speed went to 93Mbps and no freezing on the sites (Sky Cricket) that were a bit of trouble.  The box is a TX3 mini dated 7/2019 on a tag. Not sure if manufacture date or supply date as it was only purchased in July.

Archived