Airport-link deals still to be signed

webfact

Airport-link deals still to be signed

By The Nation

800_753b7d106d5bf94.jpeg?v=1568287073

The committee handling bidder selection for high-speed rail links to the country’s three top airports has given CP Group and its partners seven days to sign joint-venture agreements on the projects.

CP Group president and chief executive Suphachai Chearavanont said on Thursday (September 12) that CP was ready to invest and to sign the agreements on projects it had studied for years and would do so before the committee’s deadline.

The links involve Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao airports and are projects associated with the government’s ambitious development of the Eastern Economic Corridor.

There was substantial investment involved and the partners had taken their time making final decisions, Supachai said, but once everyone was in agreement, there would be no further problems.

“I assigned teams to work on the rail project agreements but haven’t heard any details from them yet,” he said. “However, we have been preparing for years.”

CP Group in May won the contract to build the airport links with a low bid of Bt117.227 billion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376127

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-13

8 minutes ago, davehowden said:

Looks like that incline will need a cog and pinion train.

Yeah, that's an image from when the project was the Airport Link Extension (just Swampy to DMK).

The design was for it to go from the high elevated section at Phaya Thai to underground as it passed the royal residence at Chiralada Villa just over 1km away. The animated presentation was like going over the top of a rollercoaster. Apparently the existing ARL trains could make the climb.

Thankfully clearer heads have prevailed (including HM the late king) and the route will be all elevated now with suitable screening.

49 minutes ago, mikebell said:

But the deals for the subs; the destroyer; the armored cars have all been ratified.

Of course. Straight out purchases of weaponry without tender means that envelopes get sorted quickly. Whereas envelopes for projects that have to go through tender formalities and a pretence of bidding take much longer to be agreed upon.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Same thing every time. Thailand doesn't need a high prestige, high speed rail system, it needs a safe, reliable and CHEAP integrated transport system. High speed can come later if people can afford it (which I doubt).

It must come as worry to the CP Group and partners that the SRT is involved. Just thinking about the SRT involvement in the failed Hopewell project must send shivers up their spine.

In the real commercial world (as against huge money losing Thai government run enterprises) passenger numbers and profitability are key factors. 

SRT run the Airport Link slow speed train but somehow manage to lose money even though it is usually packed.

Will there be enough passengers transiting between Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao airports to make this a profitable goer? What do readers think?

14 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

SRT run the Airport Link slow speed train but somehow manage to lose money even though it is usually packed.

Why do you call it a slow train?  Have you used it?  Don't you live in Vietnam?

Will there be enough passengers transiting between Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao airports to make this a profitable goer? What do readers think?

Here we go again with that tired old misconception.  I don't see why it is so hard to grasp - it is primarily a train to connect both Bangkok airports and to service the EEC.  It also links the EEC to U-Tapao.  That all makes perfect sense and is quite logical.

It was not built specifically to transfer passengers from U-Tapao to DMK.

What do readers think?

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Here we go again with that tired old misconception.  I don't see why it is so hard to grasp - it is primarily a train to connect both Bangkok airports and to service the EEC.  It also links the EEC to U-Tapao.  That all makes perfect sense and is quite logical.

What do readers think?

You ask.......Why do you call it a slow train?  Have you used it?  Don't you live in Vietnam?

Why are you asking me mindless irrelevant questions? I use the Airport Link all the time and have done for the past 12 years. It is a "slow" train as compared to a "fast" train. The last time I used it was a 10 days ago. My home base is in Vietnam but I spend a lot of my time in Thailand on business. Satisfied now?

In case you haven't noticed there is no EEC. It is still a wet dream in the mind of the PM, it may never climax. In fact they are so desperate for participants they have approached Turkey which is a basket case and virtually bankrupt. Only today Somkid (the new EEC Marketing Manager) is pleading desperately with the EU to get Airbus to go there. The Japanese have realised there is a serious shortage of skilled labour and are not interested. Things are not looking good. So forget about the EEC.

Let's just ask the question:

Will it make a profit on the number of people travelling between stations DMK to U-Tapao?

I am sure they will have a lot of passengers but will it be enough for a commercial enterprise; unlike the Airport Link which is run by the incompetent SRT and has plenty of passengers but still manages to lose money.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:06 PM, josephbloggs said:

What do readers think?

The airport link was built to take aeroplane passenger to and from Phaya Thai to Suvarnabhumi, but now the majority are local workers going and coming home from work. So I would imagine same same for the 3 airport link lines.

Archived