Central Festival Pattaya Beach

Lazy Sod

Noticed in the Bangkok Post that Central are building a new shopping centre with 5 star hotel in Pattaya. Just out of interest, anyone know where it will be located?

Edited by Lazy Sod

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From memory, it's at least 2 - 3 years away.

Funny really, we've got just about everything in Pattaya except a fully fledged department store - a la Robinson's or Central.

Phuket has a huge Department store complex, .and even Sri Racha has a Robinson's.

Yet (supposedly) Thailand's second largest city has nothing.

The inhabitants are too busy debauching themselves, I guess. :o

Isn't Big C North Pattaya a department store?

Why not? (not being cute, just trying to understand what defines a department store).

It's the closet there is to one. But it's a bit like the outside of a central or a Robinson's without the main store bit in the centre. Very limited range of stuff available compared to the real thing.

Not that it bothers me, I hasten to add - just making an observation that it's strange it's taken the entrepreneurs so long to get round to building one in our great city. Most provincial capitals - much smaller than Pattaya, boast at least one.

I wonder why?

Isn't Big C North Pattaya a department store?

Why not? (not being cute, just trying to understand what defines a department store).

It's the closet there is to one. But it's a bit like the outside of a central or a Robinson's without the main store bit in the centre. Very limited range of stuff available compared to the real thing.

Not that it bothers me, I hasten to add - just making an observation that it's strange it's taken the entrepreneurs so long to get round to building one in our great city. Most provincial capitals - much smaller than Pattaya, boast at least one.

I wonder why?

just a guess but seeing as the size of the land and the location, it probably took all sorts of problems aquiring it.

doesn't mean they couldn't have built it somewhere else though.

FM

Great news! Not one but TWO huge new shopping complexes on Second Road between South and Central Roads. Traffic congestion will be horrendous. Let's hope that both complexes will have ample parking spaces.

By the way (slightly off topic), Thepraya Road is presently being widened I see. Coming from Jomtien the new superwide road will end up in narrow, seriously congested Second Road. I can see the day when traffic will stretch all the way back to Jomtien and move at 2 meters per minute (or is that being optimistic?). TIP!

Great news! Not one but TWO huge new shopping complexes on Second Road between South and Central Roads. Traffic congestion will be horrendous. Let's hope that both complexes will have ample parking spaces.

By the way (slightly off topic), Thepraya Road is presently being widened I see. Coming from Jomtien the new superwide road will end up in narrow, seriously congested Second Road. I can see the day when traffic will stretch all the way back to Jomtien and move at 2 meters per minute (or is that being optimistic?). TIP!

It's like that already on the weekends, I've done a U turn many a time already cause I just can't be bothered. Ahh the weekdays I love em. You are right though the traffic will be horrendous when these departments stores are finished, back to walking again for me. :o

• 1 year later...

Just been to Central this morning for the opening- it's as if I had been transported out of Pattaya! Had a walk around and was very impressed - All sorts of shops from clothes to electronics plus many restaurants (sushi, pan pan pizza, AKA etc.)

I'm sure that some may argue against it (not least the owners of View Talay 6, of which you get a great view from the car park) but I for one think it's a great addition to Pattaya.

Has anyone else been there yet, what do you think?

Just been to Central this morning for the opening- it's as if I had been transported out of Pattaya! Had a walk around and was very impressed - All sorts of shops from clothes to electronics plus many restaurants (sushi, pan pan pizza, AKA etc.)

I'm sure that some may argue against it (not least the owners of View Talay 6, of which you get a great view from the car park) but I for one think it's a great addition to Pattaya.

Has anyone else been there yet, what do you think?

Just got back.........really impressive.

Good food court and supermarket.............and for those of you with the Tops spot discount card its acceptable in the supermarket (i picked up a kilo of cumberland sausage down from 350 to 200 a kilo with the card)

Best of all (for me anyway) there is a Mos Burger due to open on the 5th floor.............i/d estimate there are already 15 restaurants/takeaways on the 5th floor and the ground floor has the food court.

Bye bye Avenue/Royal Garden.... :o

Just got back from Central, very impressed!

It seems a great addition to Pattaya and I felt like I was in a High Class Bangkok mall..

Very impressed with the design.. However the top of the building is still under construction which ruins it from beach side when looking up from Beach road..

Great addition to Pattaya!! Had lunch at Yayoi Japanese restaurant which was very nice..

Goodbye Big C, Royal, The Avenue!!!

The Mardi Gras festival was also quite interesting..

Excellent - good to see something new in Pattaya. I really have my doubts about the amount of retail space in and around Pattaya. I do not see how it can all be supported. It will be interesting over the next year or two. We will have to see who survives.

From memory, it's at least 2 - 3 years away.

Funny really, we've got just about everything in Pattaya except a fully fledged department store - a la Robinson's or Central.

Phuket has a huge Department store complex, .and even Sri Racha has a Robinson's.

Yet (supposedly) Thailand's second largest city has nothing.

The inhabitants are too busy debauching themselves, I guess. :o

CHIANG MAI is Thailand's 2nd largest city, and we have several Department stores thank you. :D

Walked around the new place today. Friday, on its opening.

Plenty of eating outlets and some good and unique ones, though Pattaya ain't exactly short of that.

Floor upon floor of over priced clothing and other shops etc and similar to the big concrete jungle department stores in Bangkok.

Who needs that?

Lots of expensive toilets and no doubt shop rentals sky high hence which the traders will add on to the over priced goods and services on sale.

Lets face it, more than 90% in Pattaya go around here in cheap market purchased vests and flip flops so why do they want ot buy anything from these outlets at 10 times + the street stall price?

Have to say too a lot of yuppie type shops selling junk as well.

Maybe will appeal to the High-So individuals or those who know no

better such as gullible tourists?

The skating ring is tiny.

My prediction:

Once the initail enthusiasm for this giant has waned many of the traders will struggle.

Lets' face it can get most of what is for sale in this giant shopping mall at other less expensive places around town.

At least it is an improvement from the dreadful Avenue though this new Mall is still incomplete and what has not been done is an eyesore from outside.

Well I spent all afternoon going round and I was suitably impressed, certainly taken shopping up a level and I believe given the location it has been designed with tourists in mind. Yes the clothes are expensive but they are designer wear which is expensive anywhere in the world but attracts those that like to wear fashionable clothes.

I think its a step in the right direction but may falter due to the world recession and the lack of tourists this season. However i think the avenue is now a dead duck which never really took off and are now outshone by this new addition to Pattaya. Time will tell if they can survive and I for one wish them all the luck in the world and will certainly be using the cinema and the supermarket!

Went to the opening today, looked very impressive inside, though i wasn't surprised to see thousands of people there only walking around or sitting eating at the many food oulets and restaurants most of the retail shops weren't doing much trade at all.

I think most would find the place either too expensive or irrelevant to the type of shopping that is on offer, especially tourists, who can find most things on offer back in their home countries.

Hmmmm....I just assumed there would be a Central Department Store in there somewhere. I haven't been able to see for myself, but from reading these posts, it seems there is no department store! I happen to like Central and was looking forward to one locally. Yes or no?

the back half of it is like a department store and most of the front half is shops and restaurants!!!! so it is like a robinsons and shopping mall.my opinion is that it is very nice looking,expensive,like being at home(thats not good) and out of place in pattaya. the kfc must have the best view more than any other kfc in the world,maybe!!!

Its a weird island of Bangkok smack in the middle of Pattaya. Pattaya will never be the same. Be afraid.

Food tip: there is a Chinese chain place CANTON HOUSE on a high floor with decent looking dim sum, 15 baht per plate! This is a real deal Chinese place as they even have goose feet and duck tongue.

What's next? REAL Bangkok style taxi meters that actually use the meters?

I admit I love to see this new mall. Even less reason to go to Bangkok now. However, as a non-hiso resident, I am sure almost all of my use will be for the movies. the food choices (which are pretty good there now and will probably get better), and the department store (very occasionally). All those fashion victim shops, just filler for me. There are some cute little stalls for interesting items for tourists. It really does have it all. The other malls will probably have problems, especially Royal.

Edited by Jingthing

At 8:30 this evening it was jam packed. Just about every restaurant was full.

There's an interesting new sushi + shabu shabu buffet called "Shabushi".

For 239 plus 17% for service and taxes you can eat all the food you want taken from an extremely long "train" which snakes through the whole restaurant. You have your own personal shabu cooking pot right in front of you and you can order from a selection of 3 soups to cook your food in. The train carries a large selection of shabu items to cook (ala MK) plus a limited selection of sushi and you just grab what you want.

If what you want is not on the "train" you can order it.

They have a self service area for other foods such as gyoza, fish, fried and steamed rice. There's also a self service area for drinks, fresh fruit and ice cream.

There are 10 cinemas (only 7 in operation this evening). If you decide to go, just be warned that these are real iceboxes. Big C and the Major Cineplex are tropical by comparison. Perhaps they'll adjust the aircon to a better temp in the future...but in the meanwhile, dress for winter.

Edited by tropo

Are those extras included in the buffet price?

I eyeballed the conveyor belt for a few minutes but I didn't see any sushi! Maybe the sushi chef was on a break and I am sure the sushi gets snatched fast.

Another fun thing about that place, there is a time limit! If you go over, you are charged for the extra time rather than the food. A new concept to me.

Edited by Jingthing

Are those extras included in the buffet price?

I eyeballed the conveyor belt for a few minutes but I didn't see any sushi! Maybe the sushi chef was on a break and I am sure the sushi gets snatched fast.

Another fun thing about that place, there is a time limit! If you go over, you are charged for the extra time rather than the food. A new concept to me.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. You get a 75 minute time limit. Each 10 mins over that costs 20 baht. They print out a receipt when you start and your "time out" is clearly indicated.

This evening when I went in there (about 9:15pm) there was a lot of sushi on the train, but after about 30 mins there was none to be seen. I suspect they didn't want to be left with too much sushi late in the evening. I ordered some of my favourite sushi and they came with a plate full, so that solved the problem.

Everything is included except salmon sushi and sashimi which must be purchased as extras.

Edited by tropo

Hmmmm....I just assumed there would be a Central Department Store in there somewhere. I haven't been able to see for myself, but from reading these posts, it seems there is no department store! I happen to like Central and was looking forward to one locally. Yes or no?

Yes

Walked around the new place today. Friday, on its opening.

Plenty of eating outlets and some good and unique ones, though Pattaya ain't exactly short of that.

Floor upon floor of over priced clothing and other shops etc and similar to the big concrete jungle department stores in Bangkok.

Who needs that?

Lots of expensive toilets and no doubt shop rentals sky high hence which the traders will add on to the over priced goods and services on sale.

Lets face it, more than 90% in Pattaya go around here in cheap market purchased vests and flip flops so why do they want ot buy anything from these outlets at 10 times + the street stall price?

Have to say too a lot of yuppie type shops selling junk as well.

Maybe will appeal to the High-So individuals or those who know no

better such as gullible tourists?

The skating ring is tiny.

My prediction:

Once the initail enthusiasm for this giant has waned many of the traders will struggle.

Lets' face it can get most of what is for sale in this giant shopping mall at other less expensive places around town.

At least it is an improvement from the dreadful Avenue though this new Mall is still incomplete and what has not been done is an eyesore from outside.

There is definitely a need for a centralised niche place for high-end shopping like this in Pattaya as an alternative to all the drab junk on offer everywhere. There are lots of richish people who will buy things on impulse that they haven't yet seen in their home countries, especially given the holiday mentality around. It also gives punters a new place where they can impress their hookers, of which there are a few around. My prediction is that the location and high-end nature of the place will make it a success.