Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reporting

webfact

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Just because you read the words "good news" in the headline doesn't mean that's what it is. If you have any awareness of this subject at all you'll realise they've completely ignored the complaints about the TM30 reporting and tried to fob everyone off by scrapping the TM6 form instead, which no one had ever raised an issue about.

I do agree with alx123. It doesn't matter what topic the threads are about, people at TVF are complaining about EVERYTHING.

95% of them doesn't even comprehend what they're reading,but still starts whining after the first post. Go figure. 

19 minutes ago, JEM53 said:

Can anybody explain to me:

The arrival card could help prevent "wrong people" to overstay in Thailand, they scrap it.

TM30 will never be used by the "wrong people", they keep it.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Arrival card could easily be scanned in to a data system with added passport number. That will cost them a cheap computer with some big hard drives and will never run out of space. They do not even have to do that at passport control station.

Scanning passports in combination with the new fingerprint readers (when they know how to use them) is enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

95% of them doesn't even comprehend what they're reading,but still starts whining after the first post. Go figure.

Not sure about you, but the poster I replied to doesn't seem to comprehend what the issue is about at all. Neither for that matter does the minister who made the gushing announcement. If you object to posts that you perceive as whining about something, surely the thing to do is read the content and decide whether it's true or not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ravip said:

So the son of an immigration officer is running an (I believe) illegal AirBnB !! Amazing Thailand.

What makes you 'believe' its illegal? Is it because he was trying to report guests staying in his AirBnb?

Pray tell us how your beliefs are created.

Most AirBnB renters normally rent for periods less than 30 days, which is illegal, unless registered as a hotel. Only Hotels are permitted to rent rooms for less than 30 days. Non-hotels can only rent for 1 month or more.

Also see here:

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1

It is not the TM 6 the problem to see more tourists,it is the value of the baht,they think the tourist will more booking if they delete this TM6,never they will go to Vietnam Laos,Myamar,Cambodgia,they are not good busy,the baht is 10% too high,they go certainly like this in the wall.The wheel turn and 1997 wiil come back.

Ridiculous - what about people (like me) who do not own a smartphone with Apps - I have a 3G Samsung ordinary mobile!!

Should be interesting and confusing when I re-enter the country. Will the Immigration Officer still give me a Form TM6 (or TM30) to complete or will I be refused entry even though I have a one year retirement visa extension and a multiple re-entry permit??

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Most AirBnB renters normally rent for period less than 30 days, which is illegal, unless registered as a hotel. Only Hotels are permitted to rent rooms for less than 30 days. Non-hotels can only rent for 1 month or more.

Also see here:

Thanks for your assistance in explaining this, I just saw his query to my post ????

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Ridiculous - what about people (like me) who do not own a smartphone with Apps - I have a 3G Samsung ordinary mobile!!

Should be interesting and confusing when I re-enter the country. Will the Immigration Officer still give me a Form TM6 to complete??

Why would they, tm6 is completely gone.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Good news! Thailand to scrap TM6 cards, launch new mobile app for TM30 reportin

Is that for us expat aliens to? We only have done a Tm30 Last years extension .Didn't have to do one this year. so It doesn't make any difference if one doesn't Travel Right?   

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks, I realized this and added to my original post. So, will I get just a stamp in my passport or will I have to complete a Form TM30 on arrival at the Immigration desk?

There will be no form, it's not really your responsibility to do anyway, even if people here claim it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Well, the TM6 wasn't really an issue at all (albeit the waste of paper) as many countries require you to fill in an arrival card. 

The TM30 is the nuisance, and I have absolutely no optimism the Thai immigration department will be able to plan, design, create, trial etc etc etc a working app. 

I still can't get the DLT license app to accept my thai license. 

Thais and technology does not compute. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Well, the TM6 wasn't really an issue at all (albeit the waste of paper) as many countries require you to fill in an arrival card. 

The TM30 is the nuisance, and I have absolutely no optimism the Thai immigration department will be able to plan, design, create, trial etc etc etc a working app. 

And the silly 90-day report.  Talk about wasting space.  They got one TM6 from me about eight years ago.  Since then they have gotten 32 90-day reports, all for the same address.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zydeco said:

Why is this good news? The TM 30 is still in place and the TM 6 was no inconvenience whatsoever.

To be frank - it was. I'm travelling out and back to  Thailand on a weekly basis (at least) and the form couldn't be completed on a computer and subsequently printed out. 

Nice to see that this form disappears decades of that "customs declaration form" at Don Meuang,  which was collected after baggage collection by two customs officers chatting with each other; the forms just to be thrown into a huge cardboard box which originally contained a washing machine and never looked at! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Preacher said:

And the silly 90-day report.  Talk about wasting space.  They got one TM6 from me about eight years ago.  Since then they have gotten 32 90-day reports, all for the same address.

I submitted the TM47 when I did my first 90 days report years ago. That was the first and last time. 

1 minute ago, Sydebolle said:

To be frank - it was. I'm travelling out and back to  Thailand on a weekly basis (at least) and the form couldn't be completed on a computer and subsequently printed out. 

Nice to see that this form disappears decades of that "customs declaration form" at Don Meuang,  which was collected after baggage collection by two customs officers chatting with each other; the forms just to be thrown into a huge cardboard box which originally contained a washing machine and never looked at! 

Why complain about the TM6 because of your travelling habits?

Many countries have some sort of arrival form and even a paper for customs. 

15 hours ago, Ratt Thai said:

Strange coz the TM6 is direct related to art 37 and the TM30 is related to art 38... makes no sense at all... unless they want to do full tracking... they might consider google or apple to give your phone's position to them...

(oops, they do that already)

How are they getting my phones position from google ?

Wow I feel a whole lot less tracked in my daily movements now that TM30 is going mobile! Can we have a list of all the other countries using this method and evaluate the effectiveness as well as the deterrent to anyone visiting or staying in the country?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zydeco said:

Why is this good news? The TM 30 is still in place and the TM 6 was no inconvenience whatsoever.

I think Thailand is the only country that makes unnecessary work for itself. The countries l visit  , Malaysia, Singapore,  Indonesia don't require a visa or any forms to be filled out or photographs . Hand over your Passport stamp 30 day stay and a thank you from the IO and your on your way. I don't go to countries that require  a full page visa at whatever it costs . I don't  go to Cambodia , 30 US Dollar and at many entries 100 Baht good service tip. Not on .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, BobbyL said:

how to handle if i dont use computers or smartphone ???? any idea...