2 monts or 3 months? Am i screwed? The only way is to use an agent?

I need to renew my extension of stay based on retirment in the next days at Jomtiem IO

i usualy use the 800 000 bhts in bank method, never had a problem and i was happy to do it again this time

but i am back from the Jomtiem immigration office and i see they require now 800 000 bhts at least 3 months

prior to application (It was 2 months one year ago, and  i was thinking now wrongly that it was 2 months before AND 3 months after)

Because of some personnal issues my bank account was around 700 000 untill the 13 august, and at more 800 000 since

(My actual extension is valid until the 14 october) and never go under 800 000 since.

Also they ask a document showing my actual adress, and i have none of the documents required as i rent from a thai citizen

(I have did a TM 30 some days ago and i have the receipt in my pp, is it enough?)

Am i screwed ?

If yes what is the best way to resolve the problem? Use an agent? (I am not very enthousiast this this option)

thank you in advance for your advises. 

i put the form here with the documents required

as you can see the title is ''documents required to extend visa for senior citizens in case of other 50 years old''

interesting because i have seen in a lot of posts the fight about the extension of stay is not a visa, nor an extension of any visa.

In fact my initial Visa was an OA visa delivered in Paris 6 years ago and now largely out of date.926880684_renouvellementvisa005.thumb.JPG.2511ca74e4315fd5eadadda0c313ca01.JPG

Just now, Jingthing said:

Where and when did you get that page?
The rules changed.
It's now two months before for first time and subsequent and three months after balance must not go below 800k. After that never under 400k.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I just have this page today morning at the reception desk of Jomtiem immigration office.

And yes i was not worry untill today because i was thinking the same

2 months before and 3 months after

but now....

Thank you for your quick and precise answer

i wonder why they give outdated lists ????

also the 2 months required for the funds are in my case from 13 august

to 14 october (Date of the end of my extension) or from the 13 august to 

the day i ask the letter to the bank and i go to the IO ask for a new extension? 

(In the later case i am forced to wait the last day or just 1 day before to ask for a new extension)

Very weird they are giving out that dated list. Doesn't inspire confidence.

I'm pretty sure that I have read reports about the new rules being honored there but the proof is actually doing it on the day you do it.

For now I would ignore that list and proceed with confidence with the new rules.

If the front clerk pushes back which is doubtful insist on seeing the retirement desk. Politely of course.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Thank you for your quick and precise answer

i wonder why they give outdated lists ????

also the 2 months required for the funds are in my case from 13 august

to 14 october (Date of the end of my extension) or from the 13 august to 

the day i ask the letter to the bank and i go to the IO ask for a new extension? 

(In the later case i am forced to wait the last day or just 1 day before to ask for a new extension)

It think somebody at reception picked an old list. Many reports of them accepting 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

In your case it would be the 13th of August if that is day you topped up your account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Very weird they are giving out that dates list.
I'm pretty sure that I have read reports about the new rules being honored there but the proof is actually doing it on the day you do it.
For now I would ignore that list.

Yes very weird 

i just hope the bank letter (Kasikorn) be accurate, if someone have

the good list then i can print it and show it when i ask to the bank

(Just in case the bank employee don't know what i want exactly)

thank you in advance again

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It think somebody at reception picked an old list. Many reports of them accepting 2 months on the day you apply for the extension.

In your case it would be the 13th of August if that is day you topped up your account.

Yes i have topped up my account the 13 of august, so i have to wait 60 days (Or 2 months?)

to go to the bank and ask for the letter of guarantee, it should be the wenesday 11 october if i am right?

12 and 13 october are saturday and sunday, then my last limit should  be monday 14 (My extension of stay is valid until the 14 october, i hope the day of the 14 is included)

22 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes i have topped up my account the 13 of august, so i have to wait 60 days (Or 2 months?)

to go to the bank and ask for the letter of guarantee, it should be the wenesday 11 october if i am right?

12 and 13 october are saturday and sunday, then my last limit should  be monday 14 (My extension of stay is valid until the 14 october, i hope the day of the 14 is included)

It is 2 months from the day you topped up your account to 800k baht which is October 13th.

You will not be able to apply for the extension until October 15th since the the 14th is a holiday. No overstay fine for doing it on the 15th due to immigration being closed on the 14th.

I suggest you try doing it on the 11th. Immigration might do it then since you likely will not get your passport back until the 15th (Jomtien immigration procedure).

You could go to the bank on the morning of Friday the 11th so you could use the letter on 15th if denied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 2 months from the day you topped up your account to 800k baht which is October 13th.

You will not be able to apply for the extension until October 15th since the the 14th is a holiday. No overstay fine for doing it on the 15th due to immigration being closed on the 14th.

I suggest you try doing it on the 11th. Immigration might do it then since you likely will not get your passport back until the 15th (Jomtien immigration procedure).

You could go to the bank on the morning of Friday the 11th so you could use the letter on 15th if denied.

Thank you so much

yes i am going to try this way, 11 october morning first and if doesn't work i try again the 15

and of course i will give the result here on this thread next month

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Jomtiem immigration office and i see they require now 800 000 bhts at least 3 months

prior to application (It was 2 months one year ago, and  i was thinking now wrongly that it was 2 months before AND 3 months after)

There have been numerous reports here that Jomtien is happy with 2 months pre-seasoning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There have been numerous reports here that Jomtien is happy with 2 months pre-seasoning.

Happy to see that confirmed again as my upcoming application will be based on 2 months, not 3. That said it's understandable that people are concerned whether their office will actually be following the newer rules or not as some offices have reportedly not updated their requirements. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:02 PM, Jingthing said:

Happy to see that confirmed again as my upcoming application will be based on 2 months, not 3. That said it's understandable that people are concerned whether their office will actually be following the newer rules or not as some offices have reportedly not updated their requirements. 

It's 2 months seasoning before applying at Jomtien Immigration. No need for more posts about that requirement. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

It's 2 months seasoning before applying at Jomtien Immigration. No need for more posts about that requirement. 

Thank you for your unhepfull post but you have probably missed the point at the begining

of the trhead when a dated list requiring 3 months has been given to me by the Jomtiem immigration office (You can see the document in the attached file in my first post if you take the time to read it)

anyway things have been cleared in the first hours with the help of some nice guys.

have a nice day

• Like 1

OP, you didnt by chance get that document from the desk just to left as you enter Jomtien immigration ? That desk is sometimes maned by volunteers and would possibly explain why they gave you old information.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you didnt by chance get that document from the desk just to left as you enter Jomtien immigration ? That desk is sometimes maned by volunteers and would possibly explain why they gave you old information.

no, the documents was given to me by one of the 2 emplyees of the principal desk just in front of you

when you enter in the office, so i presume they have the ability to deliver the accurate information

or at least the accurate list of documents required, but obviously it's not the case.

It could be very confusing for someone who can not have more information elsewhere

like i have had here on the forum.

Edited by kingofthemountain

3 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

no, the documents was given to me by one of the 2 emplyees of the principal desk just in front of you

when you enter in the office, so i presume they have the ability to deliver the accurate information

or at least the accurate list of documents required, but obviously it's not the case.

The only other explanation would be they have somehow got hold of a pile of old documents and maybe they are unaware they are handing out the wrong docs.

As others have said, maybe ask for a ticket for the extension desk then ask for list/clarification directly from them. It could put your mind at ease.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It could be very confusing for someone who can not have more information elsewhere

like i have had here on the forum.

The girls working at the desk inside the entrance sometime don't have a clue what the correct info is. If they had,why give you the old requirements? The new requirements for >800k in the bank method came March 1, and have also been posted here in several threads. 

I understand this reply isn't of any assistance to the OP, but worth mentioning considering all the cons comments people make regarding the Thai Elite Visa. 

Yea it's a million baht upfront which you can never get back. However, when reading threads like this one 20 years of peace of mind from IO problems is money well spent. 

Edited by Conno
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Conno said:

I understand this reply isn't of any assistance to the OP, but worth mentioning considering all the cons comments people make regarding the Thai Elite Visa. 

Yea it's a million baht upfront which you can never get back. However, when reading threads like this one 20 years of peace of mind from IO problems is money well spent. 

I agree with your point of view

however as you say 1 M bths is a bunch of money

and TIT so you can never be sure about tomorrow immigration policies

nor in the next 5 or 10 years, Elite visa or not, if the authorities decide suddenly to change

the rules for any reasons, you are screwed imo

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Conno said:

The main reason for the problems posters are talking about comes from themselves. If they don't have the correct documents when applying for an extension, s**t will happen. The first thing they do is start complaining about Immigration. The Elite Visa is not worth the cost because you still have to do everything at the local immigration office that a normal visa-holder does, except the annual 1 year extension. That's a cost of 1900 baht/year. If you just have half a brain, the application procedure is a walk in the park. 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

The main reason for the problems posters are talking about comes from themselves. If they don't have the correct documents when applying for an extension, s**t will happen. The first thing they do is start complaining about Immigration. The Elite Visa is not worth the cost because you still have to do everything at the local immigration office that a normal visa-holder does, except the annual 1 year extension. That's a cost of 1900 baht/year. If you just have half a brain, the application procedure is a walk in the park. 

I am sorry but i have the required documents and i do my extension every year since 5 years 

with no problem, in this case it seems to be right to complain about immigration office wich

do not deliver the accurate list of documents required.

The walk in the park is easy if you know where is the path, nothing to do with a half brain or whatever

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I am sorry but i have the required documents and i do my extension every year since 5 years 

with no problem, in this case it seems to be right to complain about immigration office wich

do not deliver the accurate list of documents required.

The walk in the park is easy if you know where is the path, nothing to do with a half brain or whatever

Regrettably there is nothing unusual about immigration officials or offices handling out English language lists of documents required that are inaccurate. It has been happening for years, that doesn't make it any better, people have been complaining for years, occasionally the documents get revised, then the rules change again and the lists are wrong again. 

Some offices get it correct, some don't. Some officers give correct information, some don't, sometimes they are the same person at different times or days. TIT.

If it makes you feel better complaining please do, it may help but probably won't. Again TIT.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 4:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht also has to be in the bank for 3 months after the day you apply and then it can be lowered to 400k baht until you top up your account for the next extension.

TM30 receipt you have should be enough to prove your registered your current address.

For the adress even if the TM30 was done some weeks ago they have required a copy of my lease agrement

to prove my adress. 

For the 800 000 i have to show again in 3 months as required on the form they give me (Copy just below)

no problem for me but i wonder how the ones using an agent because they don't have the founds can

deal with this?

book bank verification 3 mois 001.JPG

book bank verification 3 mois 003.JPG

book bank verification 3 mois 004.JPG

On 9/23/2019 at 5:42 PM, ubonjoe said:

Well they was not agree to do it the 11 because it was only 60 days but not 2 months (From the 13 to the 13) but they have confirmed the 14 immigration is closed so i can come the 15 (Even if my extension of stay end the 14) with no problem, but not more (The 16 is too late).

So i was here the 15 with all the documents required and i have had no problem at all for renew my extension of stay. I have had my passport back today 16 with the new stamp.

Thank you very much again for your rapid help and your precises advices.

Next year it's should be less easy because the 2 immigrations officers presents today at the counter n 8 have confirmed me next year if i want my extension a prove of health insurance will be required because of my OA visa issued 5 years ago.

It's a sad news for me and unfortunately could be my last year here.

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

Next year it's should be less easy because the 2 immigrations officers presents today at the counter n 8

have confirmed me next year if i want my extension a prove of health insurance will be required because of my OA visa issued 5 years ago. It's a sad news for me and unfortunately could be my last year here.

They are probably wrong about that.

5 minutes ago, fishtank said:

They are probably wrong about that.

Wrong or not unfortunately they have the power to deliver the extension or not

so i don't know if an individual alien have the power to contest their decision even

if they are wrong, their office, their rules?

Or what is the other option? Sue them in an administrative court?

It's should be long, costly and pretty dirty for me at the end if they lose face in that way.

14 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Next year it's should be less easy because the 2 immigrations officers presents today at the counter n 8 have confirmed me next year if i want my extension a prove of health insurance will be required because of my OA visa issued 5 years ago.

Unlucky. There are some indications that not all immigration offices will be enforcing the health insurance for retirement extensions when you have a Non Immigrant Class O-A permission to stay.

Depending on the rules next year, you could see if it is feasible to convert in some way to a Non Immigrant Class O permission to stay to avoid the health insurance requirement. However, it is quite likely that all retirement extensions will need health insurance by then.