Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Amazing. 11 judges all agree that what Boris did was 'unlawful'. But if you listen closely to the case put forward by the spiderwoman you will quickly realize there's not a shred of evidence to support this. I fear Britain's judiciary is now totally corrupt.

How odd - it is an OFFENCE to prevent parliament from doing its job by nefarious means - Boris Johnson (or more truthfully Dominic Cummings) committed that offence. 

Enough shreds ? 

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

Having been advised by his attorney general that all was well, which to me suggests nothing was unlawful earlier than yesterday.

Eh ? The Attorney General doesn’t make the law so he can only give his opinion. He reviewed it, misinterpreted it, obviously, then <deleted> it up for Dominic. 

If it was unlawful yesterday it always has been. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Eh ? The Attorney General doesn’t make the law so he can only give his opinion. He reviewed it, misinterpreted it, obviously, then <deleted> it up for Dominic. 

If it was unlawful yesterday it always has been. 

In that case how about John Major in 97 and how was he (a fellow offender) able to have a say when detailed constitutional submissions from others were refused?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Seems that you want to welcome them all in. Would you care to clarify your position on that?

I'm not talking about the desperadoes who float in on bits of cardboard. I'm talking about the end of the social mindset - as promoted by the EU- that takes a soft stance on cultural identity. That will have a telling effect, as it is already, for the UK's immigration policy is already in the process of being changed.

I'm not going to comment on inane psycobabble that has no connecton with reality.

I'll just say "Complete nonsense".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesBlond said:

That is what they do in Africa when they have lost an election. You're dragging British politics down to that level.

I'm sure all the Africans who have piled into Britain to exploit our standard of living are fine with that, but I am not - it is un-British and ignoble. Nobody is making any legal challenges to the validity of the vote. Just honour it. Anything else is anarchy and third-worldism.

What are you waffling on about bringing up legal challenges?

No legal challenges are allowed in the case of a non-binding, advisory referendum. That's under UK electoral law, which is the topic under discussion, not some attempted deflection by bringing Africa ito the debate.

20 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Having been advised by his attorney general that all was well, which to me suggests nothing was unlawful earlier than yesterday.

1. just because Johnson claims the AG advised him all was well isn’t proof that the AG said as much or that Johnson even asked the AG’s advice.

2. The AG might well have given an opinion all was well but the AG is not the arbiter of the law, he’s a lawyer advising government, the courts rule on the law, not the AG.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JamesBlond said:

That is what they do in Africa when they have lost an election. You're dragging British politics down to that level.

I'm sure all the Africans who have piled into Britain to exploit our standard of living are fine with that, but I am not - it is un-British and ignoble. Nobody is making any legal challenges to the validity of the vote. Just honour it. Anything else is anarchy and third-worldism.

This racist hogwash from a Brexiteer has been called out by a number of members, non of whom are  Brexiteers. Seems they don’t have a problem with it.

Go figure.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

A couple of weeks ago pro brexit guys were on here claiming the prorogation of parliament was normal and nothing to do with brexit.

Now many of them are on here claiming the supreme courts decision is an attempt to overturn the vote for brexit and to try and prevent it.

Seems odd.

Johnson made the same "foot in mouth" comment yesterday. It didn't go unnoticed.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Being married to Asians renders that claptrap unnecessary.

Incidentally; when the Quail was poorly a few months ago it was the Brexiters he routinely slags off who enquired as to his welfare. 

Guy who drinks in my local is married to a Russian mail order bride. I've never met a bigger racist. Has been banned from several pubs for exopunding his views. Brexiteer, of course.

And those same Brexiteers have accused everyone and anyone, all remainers, of being Grouse, in order to get them banned.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Guy who drinks in my local is married to a Russian mail order bride. I've never met a bigger racist. Has been banned from several pubs for exopunding his views. Brexiteer, of course.

And those same Brexiteers have accused everyone and anyone, all remainers, of being Grouse, in order to get them banned.

What an amazing coincidence that you know this racist Brexiteer in your local that so perfectly backs up your point. 

If I didn't know better, I'd think you just made that up ????.

• Like 2

Just now, JonnyF said:

Allow me to clarify.

Proroguing Parliament has happened for hundreds of years and sometimes for obviously political reasons (see John Major for reference). Johnson's reasons for doing it were political, and therefore not a matter for the courts. We now have unelected judges striking down government decisions. This is not a great moment for Democracy in the UK, not that a Remainer would care about that, so long as they get their own way. Just remember though, one day this precedent could be used against you and then you probably won't find it so amusing ????.

The following article explains why it is such an outrage. 

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/09/24/a-tyranny-of-judges/

The judges explicitly did not rule on Boris Johnson's reasons (motivations) for doing so. Have another go at Brexiteer clarification.

• Like 1