Family Mart at Suvarnabhumi to shut its doors

webfact

Family Mart at Suvarnabhumi to shut its doors

By The Nation

800_94448017e9643f1.jpg?v=1569386534

The Family Mart branch at Suvarnabhumi airport will cease business on Friday (September 27), after its operator, Central Family Mart Co. Ltd and the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT) were unable to reach agreement on an extension of the store’s contract.

The two have still to resolve the dispute over the recently opened Central Village near the airport, with Central Family Mart telling the press it had received no response to its request to extend the agreement for a further a year.

“We can confirm that Family Mart has complied with all the conditions of the contract and has never violated these. It has always been our intention to continue our business at Suvarnabhumi but without a contract renewal, we have no option but to close this outlet,” the executive said.

The convenience store has long been popular with travellers as it offers a variety of reasonably priced instant food items and drinks.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376704

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-25
  • Sad 1

My guess is that AOT is responding to pressure from the ridiculously high priced restaurants and bakeries who would prefer travelers be forced to spend alot of money at their establishments. No doubt it is another example of corporate hubris and tone deaf public policy. 

• Like 1

Suvarnabhumi is the worst for facilities when flying out. I once got there way too early thinking to avoid traffic and have some food and drink after going through immigration. I however was not allowed (no Etihad staff) to check in for about 3 hours so all I coud find was this Family Mart and I have to say while their sandwich saved me from starving it was probably the worst sandwich I have ever eaten.. After eating it I discovered 3 small restaurants I think on a lower floor. Am I missing something or is that really all there is before departures?

16 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Suvarnabhumi is the worst for facilities when flying out. I once got there way too early thinking to avoid traffic and have some food and drink after going through immigration. I however was not allowed (no Etihad staff) to check in for about 3 hours so all I coud find was this Family Mart and I have to say while their sandwich saved me from starving it was probably the worst sandwich I have ever eaten.. After eating it I discovered 3 small restaurants I think on a lower floor. Am I missing something or is that really all there is before departures?

There is a 24 hour food court, Level 1, by Door 10

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

Suvarnabhumi is the worst for facilities when flying out.

Its an airport. All airports suck. The difference is that some are on the 7th level of hell and some are on the third, but your guts get ripped out while you scream in agony on both levels, the 7th uses a rusty garden trowel while the 3rd uses a spoon.

So lets have more "compare X airport to horrible Swampy" posts, which are like fighting over whose s**t stinks worse, yours or mine.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

There is a 24 hour food court, Level 1, by Door 10

Yeah thats what I want to do before I board a petri dish to fly 19 hours...load my intestines with spicy food court food.

Yum. Wanna sit next to me?

I was at the 7/11 downstairs next to the Tourist Police shop and was surprised that there pricing was the same as other 7/11s..I bought some beer and snacks and was amazed that they hadn't over inflated their retail prices..

I remember about a year ago there was reporting in the press about complaints of price gouging by some retailers at Suvarnabhumi, but I think most have been rained in now.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, owenm said:

I was at the 7/11 downstairs next to the Tourist Police shop and was surprised that there pricing was the same as other 7/11s..I bought some beer and snacks and was amazed that they hadn't over inflated their retail prices..

I remember about a year ago there was reporting in the press about complaints of price gouging by some retailers at Suvarnabhumi, but I think most have been rained in now.. 

They were probably talking about the shops air-side  , everything airside is about 5-10 times the outside price

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Its an airport. All airports suck. The difference is that some are on the 7th level of hell and some are on the third, but your guts get ripped out while you scream in agony on both levels, the 7th uses a rusty garden trowel while the 3rd uses a spoon.

So lets have more "compare X airport to horrible Swampy" posts, which are like fighting over whose s**t stinks worse, yours or mine.

Nonsense, I could spend a couple of days at Singapore Changi Airport quite happily.

6 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Nonsense, I could spend a couple of days at Singapore Changi Airport quite happily.

I understand. Everybody has things they enjoy. I know a real nice guy that likes to get tied up and flogged before a large African woman in a full body gummi suit takes him brutally while forcing him to sing excerpts from Die Walkure in falsetto.

To each his own. I like Chicken Suits myself.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Hmmm, no thanks.

But, Never would have too in business class.

Try it sometime never ever go hungry.. ????

Business class is like the first level of hell, while coach is the 7th. Its all degrees of misery. 

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

Employee food court maybe? 555. Ground level.

Edited by Number 6

22 minutes ago, Seismic said:

My love affair over. Tram was slow af. Singapore Air to NZ couldn't be any farther. We were told to get off wrong stop by staff and literally had to run to gate. The board showed the gate closed ten mins too early. Total panic. We get there...met with totally lazy, indifferent Malay and Indian staff both ways. All the SQ staff were worse than the Air Asia staff in Bangkok.

It's past it's sell by date. Incheon much, much better. Especially now new addl terminal.

Edited by Number 6

I think I paid about £5 for a pint in Heathrow term5.then £8 in Bkk airport yesterday.

its quite obvious the expensive stores don't want these shops getting in the way of extorting customers.if family mart were doing fine it shows the rent can't be that high.maybe a bit more in the departures.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Its an airport. All airports suck. .......So lets have more "compare X airport to horrible Swampy" posts, which are like fighting over whose s**t stinks worse, yours or mine.

Okay. I'll bite. Singapore is voted best airport in the world year after year after year. It is an oasis of calm, the shops and restaurants have normal prices, they have trains that get you to the far reaches of the airport, it is almost entirely carpeted, there is no crush anywhere including immigration and checking in, it is linked to the city's subway system with plenty of seating, the duty free price of my purchases is about half of the price charged at Swampy. the decor is infinitely better than Swampy. There's probably more things that don't come immediately to mind, but this is a start.

• Haha 1