When do you need a 2nd ID?

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You condone what you allow.

I think it is terrible having someone with no sense of distance, ie sight disabled driving on the roads.

I'm  in the middle of deciding if I want my Thai ID card with a Thai name, therefore giving me two identities. Thus may have some advantages.

Depending on your original nationality, dual identities is not always possible. For example, when submitting an application for renewal of your British passport, you must submit a color copy of any other passports you hold and the names must match in all, otherwise your renewal will be rejected. You could ignore that requirement and only submit a copy of your British passport, but then you are breaking the law and, if caught, there are consequences. Because of this requirement, and because it would have been a monster pain in the bum to adopt a Thai name then have to change my British name to correspond thereto, my Thai and British identities correspond, i.e I still use the name I grew up with.   

Edited by GarryP
Grammar

23 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Thai drivers license DOES have your photo on it but no signature. Pink ID card has your photo but NO signature, and I've had both accepted, trouble free, for identification purposes by Govt & non- govt organisations.

I did use the word BOTH re the Thai drivers license??

It depends what level of ID you need and that is usually determined by the agency/govt dept you are dealing with.  Australian lands depts DO NOT accept Thai drivers license for transfer of land because no signature and the Dept of Transport West Australia DOES NOT accept same for replacement of lost license for same reasons.

Sounds like you are talking about only within Thailand which I am not and made pretty clear in my comment.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Depending on your original nationality, dual identities is not always possible. For example, when submitting an application for renewal of your British passport, you must submit a color copy of any other passports you hold and the names must match in all, otherwise your renewal will be rejected. You could ignore that requirement and only submit a copy of your British passport, but then you are breaking the law and, if caught, there are consequences. Because of this requirement, and because it would have been a monster pain in the bum to adopt a Thai name then have to change my British name to correspond thereto, my Thai and British identities correspond, i.e I still use the name I grew up with.   

Can a naturalized Thai change their name as often as they like? I might do it if I'm 70 and just got a new UK passport, or maybe Scottish by then!

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Can a naturalized Thai change their name as often as they like? I might do it if I'm 70 and just got a new UK passport, or maybe Scottish by then!

Yes. You can change your name as often as you like. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:50 AM, Speedhump said:

I couldn't understand the test equipment. After I failed it 3 or 4 times the examiner just told me when to hit the button. In a room full of other people applying. Funny. 

I saw person after person getting  turned away for failing it. getting eyesight tested, only trained opticians should be doing it, instead of these stupid tests unqualified people do on you.

This applies to the UK as well as Thailand.

• 1 month later...

I remember taking the depth perception test many years ago and wasn't quite sure when to press the button, so my wife indicated when to push...that's when I found out her depth perception was up the creek! Luckily, they gave me another go and I was able to pass on my own merits. She never sat for the test before, as she paid up front, for her LIFETIME licence!

• 4 months later...