I never get food poisoning in the states but I do here..

It happens a lot.

Already been sick 4 times this year (bad stomach, diarrhea, vomiting etc.)

I don't eat anything out the ordinary (no dead fish, som tum, seafood etc)

and I mostly eat at high end places (except when eating local food in phuket)

Just coming off the back of yet another tummy bug,

this time I believe it was from chicken curry at a hotel restaurant in bkk.

within 5 hours of eating i was vomiting violently, with severe cramps.

What causes this?

Is it a lack of basic hygiene or is it something else?

anyone else get sick from food at least once a year?

I can safely say that from being a kid growing up in Nashville I never once got sick from food.

That only started happening once i moved to Asia.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

But surely their kitchens should be better cleansed than say some street vendor selling pork on a stick?

That's just what I think.

Most of the thais, including the cookers, do not wash their hands after going to the WC

and if for some reasons they do not like you, they also spit in your food before serving you

(Girls usualy prefer to thrown the glass in the face)

Personally never had an issue with food in Thailand.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I have had food poisoning a few times here. It is always the seafood. And the last time it was the crab. I will never again order any dish with crab, unless I see the whole crab on ice, out front first. I think part of the issue is that it is often frozen seafood, or fresh seafood that is later frozen. Then it is taken out of the freezer, it sits around, and then it is re-frozen. They do not monitor the freshness of the product.

I had a friend who's family had a seafood restaurant on Cape Cod. He said they diligently monitored all of the seafood, and would throw everything away that was fresh, after just two days. Doubt that is done here. 

• Like 2

Being a vegetarian, i never get sick with food, but i hear many stories similar to yours, so you're not alone.
Lack of basic hygiene could be one of the reasons, but mostly i put it down to sheer carelessness, and a total ignorance about the proper use of fridges and freezers.
The worst ever case of food poisening was a vegatarian meal,i did not think it could be ,but was told by the doctor that you can get it from vegatables,,they were from Best in Pattaya. Never want to go through that again ,as for other cases used to get bad stomaches when i first came here ,but these days its rare.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:
12 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

and if for some reasons they do not like you, they also spit in your food before serving you

any proof on this statement?

Sounds like prison stuff.

100% true. Never send food back for a replacement or reheating in Thailand unless it remains visible to you at all times. Thai humor can be quite brutal.

If something is wrong with your food, either let it slide or complain and don't come back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

The worst ever case of food poisening was a vegatarian meal,i did not think it could be ,but was told by the doctor that you can get it from vegatables,,they were from Best in Pattaya. Never want to go through that again ,as for other cases used to get bad stomaches when i first came here ,but these days its rare.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Surely it's quite possible to get sick from eating vegetables, but the chances are much less.

Being travelling in India in the 70s and 80s, one could get sick from eating and drinking anything, sometimes even without eating anything !

For sure it's also very subjective, it may need some time to build the right anti-bodies, and some people may be stronger than others.

• Like 1

Just now, kellersphuket said:

sorry, but If i order a steak well done and it is served to me bloodied & still moving on my plate then it is definitely being sent back.

No exceptions.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hepatitis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

sorry, but If i order a steak well done and it is served to me bloodied & still moving on my plate then it is definitely being sent back.

No exceptions.

Up to you. But no doubt you have some special / personal guarantee that your steak will of course tampered with. In this situation I basically don't trust restaurant staff anywhere. 

• Like 1