I never get food poisoning in the states but I do here..

14 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

sorry, but If i order a steak well done and it is served to me bloodied & still moving on my plate then it is definitely being sent back.

No exceptions.

Why would you order a well done steak, it would be tough as old boot, no juices no flavour.

Personally if I was running a restaurant I would refuse to cook a steak well done, it’s just ruining a good bit of meat.

There are strange people in this world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brer said:

Why would you order a well done steak

I personally don't

I order mine medium (ie, juicy but no visible blood).

I was using the well done as an analogy.

I agree that well done steaks are typically very tough.

However, there have been times when I have ordered my steak medium and it has come back dripping in blood.

Therefore, I need to tell the server for well done. As it seems western medium and eastern medium are not quite the same thing.

• Like 2

On the street I eat what Thais eat, in places they frequent, that have a decent turnover and cook it right in front of you. That means I usually avoid plastic bag stuff unless I can get them to take it out of the bubbling vat or Im seeing fast turnover.

As nicely pointed out above, your local street food, vendor, many of them ladies supporting children on their own, has a major stake in the game to provide fresh, tasty food, because thats how they survive in a local neighborhood. 

I havent had the seriously bad sqeege in years, knock on wood although over the past few days I have been binging on some strange stuff and feeling a bit of the consequences, like some thing in a bannana leaf that was like a spicy vegetable curry with maybe some lumps of liver or mystery meat, looked like onions and garlic and chives, but it was good mixed with rice, but I think heavy on the fiber so when I ate a pound of Spargle too and then a bag of ripe papaya my intestines screamed enoough....

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Poor Kellersphuket, neighbours dont like him, girls he picks up dont like him, now its restaurants that dont like him.

Poor dear needs to go back to the good ole USA, a place where nothing bad happens, everything is good.:cheesy:

Serial complainer ! if he isnt complaining and bitching about someone or something he has nothing to say.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Being a vegetarian, i never get sick with food, but i hear many stories similar to yours, so you're not alone.

Lack of basic hygiene could be one of the reasons, but mostly i put it down to sheer carelessness, and a total ignorance about the proper use of fridges and freezers.

Hygiene doesn't come into the preparation of vegetarian food?  That's a novel idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kellersphuket said:

What causes this?

Is it a lack of basic hygiene or is it something else?

Try washing your hands more often.

Perhaps you have an extraordinarily weak constitution?

Perhaps fate has got it in for you as you seem to have more problems than anyone else here.

48 minutes ago, Brer said:

Why would you order a well done steak, it would be tough as old boot, no juices no flavour.

Personally if I was running a restaurant I would refuse to cook a steak well done, it’s just ruining a good bit of meat.

There are strange people in this world.

I know a restaurateur here in Thailand serving Australian steaks  with just that policy (he posts on TV as well)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You need to cook yourself. 

I get 2 food poisonings per year on average in Thailand and never did I get it back in Canada. 

One of the worst offenders is a restaurant chain that starts with S and ends with R....also has izzle in the middle. 

I don't necessary blamr the restaurant, but rather the customers. I can't tell you how many times have I seen a little Somchai hang around salad bar, caughs on it, drops a watermelon on the floor and like a good little boy puts it right back. 

Also be aware of ice. Have you ever seen those big containers in buffet places where everyone uses the same ice scoop with their dirty hands? So disgusting..... 

• Like 1

Jumped to the end here after seeing OP was kellersphuket. 

I thought this was the guy who posts made up stories? Last one I recall was something along the lines of, "Met bargirl in Patpong, brought her to Pattaya for fun, gave her 15000 baht in advance, then left girl in restaurant to pay bill because she was annoying, etc.."   

Seems he didn't get arrested for leaving the restaurant without paying!  Lucky guy, except now he is getting food poisoning, that is some excellent Karma dude 5555

Yes food needs to be cooked to be safe to eat, why I like street food.  I can see the meat, see it getting cooked, etc..

Too many restaurants are idle here in Pattaya, doubt they are throwing out all the expired food as then they would be losing even more money.   7-11 dates there grilled chicken breast.  eat one and then go to sizzler for salad and fruit - all you can eat 139 baht 

content_IMG_5205.JPG

The OP isn't getting food poisoning, he's simply getting an upset stomach. I would reckon he has a natural intolerance to monosodium glutamate or MSG or pohm chaloat as it's called here. Even the best cooks, especially at western hotels, cheat with this flavor-enhancer. It can cover a multitude of culinary sins.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pravda said:

One of the worst offenders is a restaurant chain that starts with S and ends with R....also has izzle in the middle. 

Solved the cross-contamination problem by going to sizzler at or before 4pm when no kids are there yet (just got out of school you know)  Never had a problem -  yet have only lived here a year full time

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Once in Portugal, the worst case, tuna sandwich from a late night franchise filling station.

I bow before your gourmetness.....gas station food....only real men eat gas station food anywhere....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kellersphuket said:

Poor food hygiene is a serious issue Colin.

Especially in developing countries.

Many people die from it every year around the world.

Food standards should always be heavily regulated to avoid such deaths and hospitalizations from under cooked and improper storage of food.

god forbid folks excersize some common sense in what they eat.

• Like 1

Haven't had a serious case, yet, but plenty of its cousin, the good old "Dheli Belly". 

Wife has had proper food poisoning twice in the 7 years we've lived here full-time.  Scary seeing her in a high state of misery.  Both events followed consumption of seafood/shellfish.  

Narrowed my food sources progressively here over the years, using admittedly imperfect criteria and perhaps an over-abundance of caution at times.  But you gotta watch your own back here, 'cause nobody else is.

Never been a shellfish guy, so that's one off the list.  Began avoiding non-pallegic seafood back when I lived/worked in the GCC/Gulf, and, apart from an infrequent roll-of-the-dice with a bit of sushi, I avoid fish/seafood entirely here in Thailand - especially upcountry.  That includes the usual freshwater pond/farm fish sold at markets.   Lived 4 years in a smallish village, I see where the shower/sink gray water goes, and who knows what else, into the surrounding fields, ponds and the water table.  Big rain flood comes, it's like flushing the toilet into the village water supply reservoir; which, if there is water, it pipes to the house in various colors, leaves, branches, sediment, probably filtered through a dead cat corpse lodged in the uptake pipe - who the hell knows.  It's a petri dish of incompetence and ignorance, cloaked in avoidance of responsibility and accountability (loss of face).  No budget to run the water treatment gear?  Big Thai Smile, rub ammulet and try not to tink too mutt before the cancer takes hold.

• Like 2