Photo Editing Software

Me again with another basic digital question.  I was a film and darkroom guy, digital editing is a whole new world to me.  I've been learning to use both my Sony A6000 along with a Canon 650D that came my way.  

It's becoming clear that just like film,  taking the picture is only half the story, that these new cameras don't do it all and that processing still the other half.  

From what I see on You Tube, LIGHTROOM seems to be the most popular amateur editing system.  Do those of you that use Lightroom or other editing systems agree or disagree that Lightroom is the best to start out with?

I see that there are two ways to get Lightroom: by buying the standalone program or by subscribing on a monthly basis to one of several options offered by Adobe.  It appears that though the subscription offers some advantages, one can also loose a lot of stored work should the subscription expire.

As a total novice, would I be better off with the standalone or the subscription with what appears to be a large library of tutorials?

I see Lightroom and Photoshop advertised on Lazada for less than B1000.  I'm sure also on sale at Fortune & Pantip Plaza. Are these versions likely to be pirated clones and would they likely cause problems in the long run?

Any comments welcome.

Lightroom is good, Photoshop has more features.

But if you have a tablet you can download a free version of Lightroom for Android and try it.

The paid-for PC version has more capability, but you can try it for free.

I do most my editing on tablets and large Note phone - so use Lightroom for Android.

• Thanks 1

You can only get Lightroom on subscription nowadays, so if you see otherwise you can be sure it is either a very old, unsupported version, or pirate software. There is a lot of angst on the photography forums about Adobe's subscription model for all it's products nowadays, and a lot of people arguing for other products such as Rawtherapee ( a free product but it does not have lightroom's library functions) or DarkTable (another freebie). Yet another freebie is GIMP, but I found that not very intuitive to use ....but maybe that's just me. Paid alternatives include DXO Photolab and Capture one, both have free trial versions if you want to check them out. ACDSee is another alternative.

I do use Lightroom and Photoshop, I also do a bit of video (Premiere Pro) and play around with Adobe's Character Animator so I am signed up to their full Creative Cloud package .....at the moment. Seriously thinking of finding other options before next year's subscription.

Lightroom is a great choice for basic editing and library management, if you are prepared for the subscription model. ????

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

If i had known what a huge pain in the butt Adobe was for $200 i would have never purchased it. I don,t know anything about lightroom but it can,t be as bad as Adobe.

Lightroom is made by Adobe !!

• Like 1

You can still buy version 6.9 of Lightroom as a stand alone package. prdl-download.adobe.com/Lightroom/60BA1251F1BC48B8B82B1B63AE8E620E/1552643270580/Lightroom_6_LS11.exe

The issue with it is that if you buy a new camera you might end up having to use Adobe Camera Raw to convert your RAW images before importing into Lightroom. This is because as new cameras often change their RAW files specification, Adobe need to update their system. They will not be doing that for Stand Alone version.

I have a stand alone version of Lightroom and Phtoshop. I will not go to a substription model because I go months without using the software and I'm not interested in paying for something I don't use. The benefit of subscription is that you get regular updates and new features.

Lightroom has its benefits but I also find that in some circumstances it is inferior to other software. Reducing noise is one area I often use other software. But all in all it does a good job and it not that difficult to learn.

Other free options include:

https://www.darktable.org/install/

http://rawtherapee.com/

Canon's own DPP software is free to use with images from your 650D. It has some good noise reduction features but is not as complete as Lightroom. You need the serial number form the bttom of your camera to install it. https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/software/digital-photo-professional.html?os=windows 10 (64-bit)&language=

For paid software, Capture One might also be worth a look. https://www.captureone.com/en/

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some really helpful information and advice.  Thanks.

I think I will try one or two of the free programs, just to get a feel for terminologies and basic concepts.  Hopefully, I will learn enough to be able to better judge what more advanced programs will fit my needs in the future.

"Farangwithaplan's" point about not using the paid monthly subscription every month is a good one. In my darkroom days, I often went a month or two without even entering, then perhaps on a chilly, rainy weekend; develop and print, print, print two or three days straight.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, Vacuum said:

Need for photo editing = you made a mistake when you took the photo. It's a learning curve.

Thats not exactly true but hey, think what you must.

3 hours ago, dddave said:

I think I will try one or two of the free programs, just to get a feel for terminologies and basic concepts

All digital cameras make software available for their cameras. What do Sony and Cannon offer?

I use a Lumix G9 and Silkypix, which is apparently designed for the Lumix  cameras. I upgraded to the advanced version, which is a necessity because I only shoot RAW and have to "develop" the files into a TIFF or a JPEG.

I dont like Lightroom. I have played with DXO but its expensive. 

The other thing you need to consider is calibration of the monitor you use if you are planning on printing your shots. All editing software has a histogram what will let you 'see' correct exposure. Your monitor may deceive you, though.

I started off with a standalone licence for Lightroom as my Nikon DSLR processing software, now I mainly use Fuji cameras I recently got a standalone licence for Capture One for Fuji during a 50% discount promo ahead of a new version coming out,  they work in partnership with Fuji and seem to be regarded as the best for handling Fuji files.

As an enthusiastic amateur not making money from my photography the thought of a subscription model doesn't make sense for me and I'm pretty sure the current model software will be more than good enough for my capabilities for the next decade. Once I have the software I'd rather spend money on an old vintage lens or two every year.

• Like 1

Lightroom ->  If you have hundreds of raw files you can use this program to color correct the files and convert them to JPG. You can batch process photos, color correct 1 photo and copy the settings to other photos to save time. This program is really designed to process many photos. I can easily color correct 2000 photos a day with Lightroom.

Photoshop -> More advanced editing. Has a lot more options than Lightroom. But not really suitable to color correct hundreds of images.

>> the subscription offers some advantages, one can also loose a lot of stored work should the subscription expire.

Also when you use the subscription you have a local copy of the software installed on your harddisk. Your work you can also save on your own harddisk. When the subscription expires the software stops working. But your processed photos on your harddisk will still be there.

>> I see Lightroom and Photoshop advertised on Lazada for less than B1000.

These are copies, pirated. Which is not a problem, unless your conscience has problems with it. It is also worth it to check if your camera is supported. Lightroom gets updates often to include new camera's and new type of raw files. If your copy of Lightroom is older than your camera there is a possibility that you cannot do anything with it if you have an illegal copy and cannot upgrade.

Adobe has a photography subscription with Photoshop and Lightroom. I managed to get a US educational subscription. If you can get an .edu email and lie you can apply for that and pay less.

There are alternatives for Lightroom. Just google Lightroom alternatives. Capture One Pro is also nice if you can get a copy.

Edited by dimitriv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

The other thing you need to consider is calibration of the monitor you use if you are planning on printing your shots. All editing software has a histogram what will let you 'see' correct exposure. Your monitor may deceive you, though.

Whoa!  I can see a new monitor leading to getting a new computer to better handle the processing which will lead to needing better lenses to cure the flaws the monitor exposes which will mean a new camera to take advantage of the new lenses which will..............

Potentially more expensive than a girlfriend.

• Haha 1

The Adobe "Photography" subscription includes Lightroom, Photoshop, and a few other softwares. It also gives the mobile apps for tablets and phones. I believe the subscription allows 5 devices. I use Lightroom on my mobile devices, but prefer Photoshop on my desktop. 

If I was into "cataloging" I might use Lightroom on my desktop. 

As far as losing your images is concerned, 'the cloud' is just one option. I don't use it at all. I store all my images on local hard drives.

The cloud does, however, allow you to access all your images from any device, over wifi. I just manually transfer as needed. 

I got an email from Adobe this morning, among other things it announced the new "Photoshop Elements 2020" ....from a quick look it seems to have advanced in leaps and bounds in the last few years, and could be all you need for organizing and editing your photos. There is a 30 day free trial to check it out. $99, or combine with Premier Elements if you also do video for 149 dollars. Neither have all the bells and whistles of the full Creative Cloud program, but they are a one time purchase and could be all you (or many people) ever need, I know I'm tempted to "downgrade" from Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and the other CC programs to these two and save my money.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 5:46 PM, dddave said:

I see Lightroom and Photoshop advertised on Lazada for less than B1000.  I'm sure also on sale at Fortune & Pantip Plaza. Are these versions likely to be pirated clones and would they likely cause problems in the long run?

Any comments welcome.

I HIGHLY recommend DARKTABLE and GIMP app for FREE... I'm currently using it and believe me, its a very capable photo enhancing/post-editing apps just like LR and PS. Mind you, its totally FREE. You can also look up in youtube for tutorials.

Thank me later. ^^

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

But if you have a tablet you can download a free version of Lightroom for Android and try it.

I do most my editing on tablets and large Note phone - so use Lightroom for Android.

On 4/29/2021 at 12:25 AM, MichelleLewis said:

You can use Kinemaster Pro on GameStoreMobi at join now because it has unlocked premium functions and especially it's free.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, dimitriv said:

I can easily color correct 2000 photos a day with Lightroom.

How many photos which need correcting, do you take in a day?   LOL

one lateral thing question: could the OP put up some suggested suite of typical photos, that others could have a go at, to see how 'their' tried and tested Editor perform?  

for example, the following, a 40+ years faded photo in bright lit skies tropical Darwin;  

May be an image of street and road

when tackled with   [paint.net]

... comes out like like this below, with very little work requiredMay be an image of road and street gamma level; colour balance,  selective pinpointed areas 'sharpened etc etc 

I have myriads others that I have picked out to post edit for others who have albums of faded/off coloured photos 

One of a long past previous OZ Prime Minister (Bob Hawke) marching in sunny Darwin 

May be an image of one or more people, people walking, people standing and outdoors 

and after done over with paint.net 

May be an image of one or more people and people standing