Thailand's surging baht shatters expat dreams of easy retirement

webfact

1 hour ago, brian2f2f said:

How about for starters they are getting stricter and stricter about inforcing the laws against us yet at the same time getting more and more leiant about enforcing laws against thais. We are expected to abey the law. Ut the local thais get to chose if they wish to follow or not without fear or evem threat of anything happening to them. Enforcing precisting immigtation laws while adding more new and more difficult ones. How many foriengers have been arrested lately for prostition and how many thais have been. Despite areas that are knowm for high numbers if thais doing so. Going ti those places claiming no thais are selling pussy but as soon as a non thai is there doing it. Please show me a legally written document showing legal proof that enforcing laws against non citizens while not against the citizens. Thus being cslled a duble standard legally. How this legally cam be called treating us good and fair. 

Get a proper job.!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, phka said:

If its about the uk pound to Thai baht the loony leavers who voted brexit have got no right to moan, they brought this mess on thselves just as the economy was doing really well and the pound was gaining strength, now they can put up with it. Som nam na

UK Politics has nothing to do with the surging Baht .

The UK voting Brexit isnt the reason as to why the Baht is so strong  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When I bought my house here the Baht was around 75 to the Pound. The government's financial requirements were also half of what they are now. So please don't tell me about bad planning resulting in being close to the wire. Show me anyone who planned for their currency to halve in value and for government demands to double and I'll show you a liar. 

Anyone who had looked at a simple chart of the historical yearly exchange rates would have realised 75 baht was an aberration and unlikely to be supported indefinitely.

It's called due diligence.

You shouldn't complain as your house has doubled in pound value.

Some guys have nothing to fall back on.

8 hours ago, sungod said:

I lost all interest when I started reading quotes from Niels Colov, it lost credibility at this point,  thousands leaving? Don't know of any personally.

I know 12 and counting. 

But yea, Niels is a.... well... you know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

But i has. Investors who want to invest in the UK are waiting to see what the situation will be. Boris will sort it out. I'm a leaver I can't say I've benitited

Thank to Boris. 

Johnson doesn’t give a toss about you or anyone else. Everything he does is about him

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

You may well be, but other people are not .

This thread is about them, no need for you to contribute 

I contribute whenever I feel like it. Potential Forex movements are an important consideration when deciding when and where to retire. What good does it do to bemoan exchange rates? That won't change them. Obviously, I will also be pleased when I will get more baht for my money again, but in the meantime, no big deal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Too many people are basing their proposition on the basis of 75 baht bring the 'normal' exchange rate. As previous posters have mentioned an average of 45 is more normal.

In reality the pound hasn't dropped much from the long term average. I know that is no consolation  for some people who are hurting now but let's keep things in perspective.

I doubt anybody expected 75 to be the norm.  The problem is the rise of the baht/fall of the pound coupled with rising prices here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

No shattered dreams or fantasies, only shattered reality and disappointments  of almost daily of more bad news and not only from the surging baht but the way the government is treating the foreigners in this kingdom that all they want to do is to be left to live in peace...

..peace comes at a price 'ezzy'...you should know that.

7 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

let’s look at the bigger picture and ex pats who’ve purchased property in Thailand. If you moved to Thailand when the baht was weak .... take myself 72 baht to the pound ! 
720,000 baht = 10,000 pounds property good value 

-

todays exchange rates 36 = 360,000 baht only = 10,000 sterling 

making the markets volatile.  Both examples ......

-

when arriving a million baht was just under 14k sterling 

today million baht almost 25k sterling ...therefor those purchasing property today will be left with negative equity and those that purchased before the big boom are laughing all the way to the bank......

Good luck to each and everyone of you * hindsight is a wonderful thing...... personally I’ve had to return to the uk as exchange rates makes living on a pension more expensive in Thailand than that of the u.k 

The good news America v China trade war ..... means less Chinese tourists ? Weak Renminbi / yuan / yen  will see business projects shelved in turn weakening the baht. Predicting the baht will weaken in the new year as current rates not viable from a business point of view.

What's with the italics Steve?

• Haha 2

who know maybe a baht crash  if they no exports and less paying tourist or should i say closed wallets in Thailand i can go quick w\Was in Russia when the Rubel crashe went from 40 to a euro to 100 

still about 67 now that was good hotels half the price and may things  just wait see if not  keep going

if this brexex does go no deal maybe no pounds left who knows maybe have to pay in stones 

When I came to Thailand I planned for quite a big fluctuation in GBP and THB. What I didn't plan for was Brexit. Well to be more precise, it isn't really Brexit that has caused the problems for the GBP it's the fault of the politicians not standing together after the referendum (whatever way the vote went). There has been so much 'in fighting' I would imagine there has been little time left for anything else. As far as the strong Baht is concerned, I can't do anything about that either, Ha! What would really be a problem is if Thai immigration increased the retirement extension requirement from 800K to over one million.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

No shattered dreams or fantasies, only shattered reality and disappointments  of almost daily of more bad news and not only from the surging baht but the way the government is treating the foreigners in this kingdom that all they want to do is to be left to live in peace...

In order to have the slightest opportunity to live in peace it requires a minimum of mutual respect - you know, the opposite of the statements we often find here on TV on a daily basis ... 

It's not important where we start, but that we actually start and a good place to start is with our mindset - regardless of location ... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

I doubt anybody expected 75 to be the norm.  The problem is the rise of the baht/fall of the pound coupled with rising prices here.

Haven't seen too many price rises that affect me to any great degree that would not have affected me back in Australia.

Inflation has taken hold of course. You can't triple the minimum wage without some flow on effect.

7 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

When I came to Thailand I planned for quite a big fluctuation in GBP and THB. What I didn't plan for was Brexit. Well to be more precise, it isn't really Brexit that has caused the problems for the GBP it's the fault of the politicians not standing together after the referendum (whatever way the vote went). There has been so much 'in fighting' I would imagine there has been little time left for anything else. As far as the strong Baht is concerned, I can't do anything about that either, Ha! What would really be a problem is if Thai immigration increased the retirement extension requirement from 800K to over one million.

If they made an adjustment for the inflation many posters complain about that may well be a possibility