Limit on the number of back to back Extensions of Stay???

A while back, someone posted that there was ostensibly a limit to the number of back to back extensions of stay, one could accrue on one Non-Immigrant "O" Visa.  I questioned this at the time and there were no follow-ups. Is anyone aware of a limit to the number of extensions of stay that one can get? In light of the tightening of regulations on expats, such a limit could be the final straw that finds me in Vietnam. Comments???  I have been advised of no such limit on extensions, under normal circumstances.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I had simply noticed that this subject was commented on by one poster and never questioned. I am only on my fourth extension, but if there were a limit, I would be looking toward re-location.

• Like 1

I believe that there are a few knocking around who still obtain retirement extensions on the basis of 200k in the bank under “grandfathering” arrangements implemented when the minimum amount was increased to 800k back in 1998!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no limit on the number of consecutive extensions of stay you can get.

I am on my 12th one and many people have more than that.

are you speaking of an O visa, tourist visa, Marriage

or retirement type of visa, 

8 minutes ago, PunaBrian said:

are you speaking of an O visa, tourist visa, Marriage

or retirement type of visa, 

Non-Immigrant "O" visa was the operative visa. It seems obvious that the post I read was in error. Why are these erroneous posts left up to confuse people?  The post mentioned back to back METV visas and "Retirement Visas" in the same sentence, with the implication that there was now a limit on the number. "Retirement" means just what it says. If I am limited to a certain number, it's not retirement, it's a waiting room for deportation.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All long stay extensions done at immigration.

Nothing to with any type of visa.

If it came from faeces book then there isn't enough salt to take it with.

'If' I was on faeces book I would be tall handsome and very rich. OK I'm tall that's about it. I've got ass cheeks like spaniels ears and a slight dribble. Do you think I'll get my next visa/extension ok???

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, OJAS said:

I believe that there are a few knocking around who still obtain retirement extensions on the basis of 200k in the bank under “grandfathering” arrangements implemented when the minimum amount was increased to 800k back in 1998!

I personally know an expat who is "grandfathered in" under the old requirement of 1500 baht a month. I am fairly sure that he is not the only one.

3 hours ago, KhunFred said:

I personally know an expat who is "grandfathered in" under the old requirement of 1500 baht a month. I am fairly sure that he is not the only one.

There's no 1,500 per month the grandfather clause is

6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria: (a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000 

14 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There's no 1,500 per month the grandfather clause is

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. My POINT, was that all expats are NOT required to have 800K or 65K monthly, in order to stay here.

Don’t know if this is the right place to write this, but if Laos is one’s destination for extending one’s Thay stay.. 

Foreigners now wishing to enter Laos need a one entry only tourist visa, valid for 30 days. Cost depends on nationalities (Aussies USD46, for example.. or about A$70). 

Where it hurts is when you, as is my case, only arrive in Vientiane by plane to cross over to Thailand’s northern province, in effect a mere transit. In my case, 12 hours max: US$46. When I leave a couple of month later, same way, across the bridge to VTE, for a less than 12 hours sejourn, that’ll be another US$46 ! 

I would like to bring my Thai wife across to Vientiane to take her for a romantic dinner in a French restaurant.. For that I’ll need a visa. 

So now me think, for those of us who need to go across so as to extend our stay in Thailand, we will have to add that new expense into account.

Edited by Elzear
syntax correctiin

3 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. My POINT, was that all expats are NOT required to have 800K or 65K monthly, in order to stay here.

Well certainly in my pocket there is a remarkable difference between 1,500 and 20,000. You did say that 

21 hours ago, KhunFred said:

I personally know an expat who is "grandfathered in" under the old requirement of 1500 baht a month.

But of course you are absolutely correct, personally I'm only required to have 400k or 40k monthly and there are extensions of stay that have no financial requirements at all. 

How is any of that relevant?