30/25/20 baht > £1 when is it time to Quit ??

If you check the history of the exchange rate, you may find that the baht is roughly where it was 25 years ago. The Asian financial crisis had a lot to do with western currencies appreciating by 50% and more.

A reasonable cut-off is when you are unable to pay for your health insurance. Depending on the composition of your family, your health insurance  premium should be your biggest budget item. If it is not, cut down on other expenses.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Impossible to forecast future rates of exchange.

Whenever story of Brexit agreement the pound stabilizes/strengthens so we will just have to wait and see.

I am down over B15K/ month on my monthly income from UK, since start of Brexit,  so I do sympathize.

john 

Its not the Baht that's strong ,its other countries money that's dropped in value so this would be the same in other counties. If you earn Baht Malaysia is good .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Thus shows the benefits of having a good Thai wife that understands the situation and will go out and help make up the dropped 10k income per month if necessary.

As for 15 baht to the pound, I think that is highly unlikely. The baht / pound being that low would mean that every other currency on the planet would be madly low against the baht, and since Thailand lives on tourism the officials would not let it happen and them become too poor.

As for cut off point, I could probably go to 30, with wife working. 25 and i'd be turning my tennant out

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 1

Twenty would be good as that would translate my Thai Baht into a good pot if I ever chose to return. If you intend to stay long term somewhere it's better to convert what you have into that currency if you want to avoid any future exchange risk. I arrived 15 years ago and >95% of what I have has been in Thai Baht since.

• Like 1

If the Baht gets to 15 to the pound you should have left already. 

If a pint (half liter) of draft beer is 150B in Bangkok (excluding happy hours) then one pint would cost ten pounds, which is too much. Of course if you live in the boondongles you might get a pint for 90B. In which case that would be 6 pounds which is also too much.

• Confused 1

The cut of point for my Euro was 36 and I can see it reaching 30 and the pound won't be far behind.The problem with relocating is finding somewhere that you get more for your pound than you get in Thailand and that somewhere doesn't really exist.The PI is the place usually mentioned but the disadvantages outweigh any advantages Cambodia the same, Vietnam may be a bit cheaper but now its replaced Thailand on everybody's bucket list the prices across the board will soon start to rise.Its all a bit doom and gloom at the moment the only hope for the pound is that after brexit the UK gets turned into a low tax haven and then the pound will reach the sunny uplands.

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

it is much cheaper to live in Europe for food, clothing, and healthcare of course is less expensive or free..

Renting is more expensive and so are the commodities ( electricity, gas, water).

In Flanders now, 

one has to pay 4 months rent ( 3 months guarantee, 1 month rent in advance ) before being allowed to enter your rental.

2 hours ago, sadherbert said:

Twenty would be good as that would translate my Thai Baht into a good pot if I ever chose to return. If you intend to stay long term somewhere it's better to convert what you have into that currency if you want to avoid any future exchange risk. I arrived 15 years ago and >95% of what I have has been in Thai Baht since.

The risk cuts both ways , never sound to keep the majority of ones eggs in a single basket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

If the Baht gets to 15 to the pound you should have left already. 

If a pint (half liter) of draft beer is 150B in Bangkok (excluding happy hours) then one pint would cost ten pounds, which is too much. Of course if you live in the boondongles you might get a pint for 90B. In which case that would be 6 pounds which is also too much.

OTOH out here in rural Khampaeng Phet a large cold Chang is 55 baht at my local grog shop and I drink at home or at my next door neighbours so it is not that expensive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MosMing said:

Don't forget that the GBP/THB exchange rate is not only down to the insanity of Brexit but also the strength of the Baht.

Having said that, there is just too much opposition to a no deal Brexit for it ever to happen. Only Johnson winning a thumping majority in the next general election could make it happen and even then, most of that majority would have to share Johnson's obsession with Brexit at any cost.

The only outcome I can envisage to this sorry Brexit saga is a second referendum and back to square one with a remain result. I only hope that this includes the demise of Boris Johnson's political career. 

But if there is a second referendum and Leave wins again, then what will the Remainers do?

Ignore the result like the Lib/Dems want to do?

What will you do if the Tories win the general election? Ask for a rerun?

I gave up trying to predict the future past my next mealtime months ago. I found it less stressful.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But if there is a second referendum and Leave wins again, then what will the Remainers do?

Ignore the result like the Lib/Dems want to do?

What will you do if the Tories win the general election? Ask for a rerun?

I gave up trying to predict the future past my next mealtime months ago. I found it less stressful.

No, I think a second vote to leave would draw a line under the whole thing, as would a general election giving Johnson a mandate for his insanity. The electorate knows how much sh**t will hit the fan when the UK leaves the EU this time round so if that's what they want, so be it. 

• Like 1