Are you tired of waiting for the next shoe to drop ?

3 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

A few isolated cases of young tourists on motorbikes.  WTH has that got to do with retirees living here?

You need to google "cant pay hospital bills thai visa"  and look at the instances there.  (just for info)

28 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

A few isolated cases of young tourists on motorbikes.  WTH has that got to do with retirees living here?

A lot.

I suggest you talk with a representative of one of the major insurance companies or a hospital administrator.

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya for example has had several walk outs just this year tourists and retirees.

Some bills in the million b range.

It happens more then you think.  Just read on this site about the many retirees who claim they are barely getting by on a daily basis and mostly have no insurance.  What they going to do?

It is a real problem not some made up scheme as some think.

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The main problem as I see it is the total instability and lack of consistency in most aspects of officialdom. The problem is it can and may well ALL change in the next few weeks months, we see this guy or that guy doing this or that, then he disappears and someone else is the top of the pole.

Its not a good scenario but all you can do on shifting sand is watch and wait for the next shift ! Unsettling and not a nice predicament when one is supposed to be relaxing in retirement,instead of each day or week a question of "what now" ?

In my experience  that has always been a frustrating  feature of  the "officialdom" in Thailand but I have come to understand it is  no exclusive to the experience of expats . Even for Thais those shifting sands have a tendency to create reluctance to anything involving or recognizing anything other than a gratuitous monetary opportunity with no inkling of the fact they are only receiving a  minute percentage of what they already acceded to those who control them.

Is the lack of  consistency incidental, accidental, or  deliberate? Whichever it is a  factor of life in Thailand or the entirety of inhabitants.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CLS said:

This is not a fair comparison. Migrants that steal local jobs are not retirees that only spend money.

What are the requirements for retiree visas in your home country? 

I believe Thailand has a less expensive system, although not sure about less onerous in reporting requirements.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

It is certainly frustrating with something potentially new on a regular basis to <deleted> up what was a pleasant situation for many years. Most of this seems to be in the the wake of BJ and his ilk.

What new things have come up regularly that makes being in Thailand an "unpleasant situation"?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I saw a lot of cases where people were collecting money to help foreigners who couldn't afford their hospital bills. But in all cases these people would not get treatment without payment. So... This is really their own problem. There were no unpaid hospital bills.

No unpaid hospital bills? Hmmmm.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/900767-uninsured-foreigners-burdens-thai-public-hospitals/