A nice story for the Thai-bashers

Lacessit

Chiang Rai is not Chiang Mai. I'm cruising around the streets of Chiang Rai with my Thai GF at 7.30 am, searching for somewhere to have something approaching a farang breakfast. The only thing going is street stalls with rice soup and boiled frogs. Not even a coffee shop open.

Thinking most large hotels have a breakfast buffet, we pull into one and ask the doorman how much for the buffet breakfast. 150 baht per person, fine by me.

We are met at the breakfast buffet by a middle-aged Thai person who speaks very good English. He/she explains the buffet is for hotel guests only. I'm thinking it is all money coming into the hotel; however, I don't protest and put on my best woebegone look. My GF asks the person if they know whether there are any other hotels with a buffet breakfast that will accept walk-ins.

He/she relents, and we are seated to a breakfast which for me was orange juice, coffee, fruit, toast and two eggs over easy. My GF devours everything in sight, as she believes in getting value for money.

I am quite astonished when I offer 300 baht and the person refuses payment. I occasionally do random acts of kindness myself, but this was one out of the box.

I'm not identifying the hotel or person, as I don't want to get them into trouble.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice story Op. 

99% of my daily encounters with both foreigners and Thai's in Thailand are positive. 

The few negative encounters are usually with 4 or 5 taxi drivers in a row refusing my ride or driving like to$$ers but again, countered by the diamond in the rough who has engaged me in entertaining and pleasant conversation. 

Of course, traffic is a common frustration and the silly stuff impacts everyone, but for the most part the majority of drivers are quite normal, not egressive and don't do really silly stuff. 

When dealing with 'officialdom' follow the script and things run smoothly, step outside of the 'box' so to speak and we can become frustrated when attempting to go 'off-piste'.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

what did you do.. you cant post positive stories on the message board. This board is dedicated to OAP's that love to moan and put down Thais. You cant do anything to endanger that.

Prepare to be crucified. 

I've made myself comfortable behind my keyboard with a whisky. Feel free to google my nom-de-plume.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Nice story, but I have to admit I was very tempted to add......"and then you woke up" ,     ????joking of course.

For real, and no-one could be more surprised than I was. I don't have the talent for inciting generosity in others.

27 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Will you be going back tomorrow morning for breakfast?

I would never go back there again, except as a guest of the hotel. That would be abusing the kindness of the person.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I've made myself comfortable behind my keyboard with a whisky. Feel free to google my nom-de-plume.

I too had a wonderful day, being the only visible farang at a festival where I was smiled at and greeted by everybody.

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

Breakfast in Chiangrai can be beautiful and people can be amazing.  Glad you had a positive experience while here.????

1041865856_BreakfastatChiwitThammaDa-1.jpg.c4893c0065f28f7345f24be21803e7f0.jpg

From an American: that looks tasty, where is the main course.

From a German: What, No Muesli?

From a Brit: What, no beans.

From an Aussie: What, no Vegemite?

From a Venezuelan: Kids, sit down, breakfastlunchdinner is here.

OK Ill put down the bong and go to bed.

7 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Chiangrai is more about the mountain life than the nightlife, in my opinion. This is where I was today.

2157D86E-676A-4E98-9714-226D8AFD0C59.jpeg.f621b85643761fe1fa88f6a3c7a78df9.jpeg

Nice. Is that Phu Chi Fa? ? As a starting point, Chiang Rai is much better situated for attractions such as Phu Chi Fa, Doi Tung, Mae Sai, Doi Mae Salong, Singha Park etc. Wat Sang Kaew Phothiyan is far bigger and more spectacular than the White Temple.

AFAIK the nightlife in Chiang Mai has not changed, just the bar girls are older. The bar scene in Chiang Rai has definitely contracted from ten years ago.

Humans being human will encompass all from the good to the lousy. 

Even the most lousy person may on occasion do something good, and the best of us do something bad.

I just wish there were less lousy people in bureaucracies.

When I was in Riyadh I enjoyed taking a bus to the end of the trip and getting another back. One day the driver was at the end of his shift and drove home with me in the back. On arrival I looked around for a return bus in vain. So he took pity on me and drove me back in his own off time to the city where I could get another bus back. He even refused to accept the normal fare, let alone more. That was a poor man.

Kindness comes in unexpected places.

I tell that story as I can't think off hand of a similar in LOS, but kindness is not restricted to one country or type of person.

Unfortunately I can remember many instances of unkindness in LOS, but I won't spoil the thread with them.

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I too had a wonderful day, being the only visible farang at a festival where I was smiled at and greeted by everybody.

You must be a very hansum' man. I often attended the night market in Lamphun, but although I was the only farang there in a town where very few farang live I was completely ignored. I guess I'm just not hansum' enough.

Archived