Airport biometric systems catch 45,000 overstayers, 1,000 on blacklists

webfact

"California Governor Signs Bill Banning Facial Recognition Tech Use By State's Law Enforcement Agencies"

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191011/18013143178/california-governor-signs-bill-banning-facial-recognition-tech-use-states-law-enforcement-agencies.shtml

Kudos to California for leading the way - recognizing the 1984ish dangers and abuses which are inevitable and which are already occurring.

Not as strong as it needs to be, but it's a start.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RedPill said:

On the bright side, it works pretty well & fast. Went through it last week without a hick up or technology glitch.

I don't have germophobia, but still didn't like to see those sweaty fingerprints on that dirty glass and have to put my fingers on something where 1000's others just touched it  ... next time I bring some kleenex ????

Windex is King

• Like 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

In a span of just three days, the system has helped police arrest 8,000 illegal immigrants, fake passport holders, overstaying travellers, and legal offenders on arrest warrants. 

If that ISN'T fake then I fear no police work is going to be done for at least the next 6 months as they'll still be doing the safari style photo op's !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the proficiency of this system depends on the commitment and collaboration of responsible offices including the police, immigration office, and the Justice Department to update and share their databases to make sure the system can identify a suspect even after he/she changes identity.

Does this system also take into account the brown envelope system? ,,,,,LOL

• Like 1