Airport biometric systems catch 45,000 overstayers, 1,000 on blacklists

webfact

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then there's the 35000 odd OA visa holders who have skipped out on their medical bills. Ya gotta wunda about the mentality of the jerks pushing these "BS" figures into our faces and expecting a reader with an IQ greater than 22.47637569165494286 to believe em!

"California Governor Signs Bill Banning Facial Recognition Tech Use By State's Law Enforcement Agencies"

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191011/18013143178/california-governor-signs-bill-banning-facial-recognition-tech-use-states-law-enforcement-agencies.shtml

Kudos to California for leading the way - recognizing the 1984ish dangers and abuses which are inevitable and which are already occurring.

Not as strong as it needs to be, but it's a start.

They just love adding 0's to their numbers don't they...unless it's death on the roads and then they subtract !

About two months ago we were told there were no more overstayers in Thailand, they had all been caught, so have these 45,000 all overstayed in the last two months ?   Mickey Mouse and his Chums would make a better job of running this country !

They're working overtime to justify these incredibly expensive biometric systems.

All overstayers who present themselves to an immigration officer would be caught with or without biometrics because they have to show their passports and immigration are not stupid, one of the first things they look for when they open a passport is the current entry stamp.

Unless they're setting up random fingerprinting booths on the streets then biometrics will make zero difference in catching overstayers. It's pure propaganda.

Honestly, really? 45,000 overstayers? I thought all these overstayers were arrested and deported last year? 8,000 arrested in 3 days? Absolute rubbish! Your figures and system are just another complete farce! 555. Where’s all the photos of these arrested people? 555

Now we know. No more wondering why immi-rules are getting stricter all the time.

While Thai's would accept such BS unquestioned, it's the Farangs (after doing a bit of thinking/doing some math) reach quickly the conclusion: "Can't be"!

The final explanation why immi-rules are getting stricter all the time for long-term Farangs. (Tourists have no time nor inclination to study official Thai statistics.)

On the bright side, it works pretty well & fast. Went through it last week without a hick up or technology glitch.

I don't have germophobia, but still didn't like to see those sweaty fingerprints on that dirty glass and have to put my fingers on something where 1000's others just touched it  ... next time I bring some kleenex ????

16 minutes ago, RedPill said:

On the bright side, it works pretty well & fast. Went through it last week without a hick up or technology glitch.

I don't have germophobia, but still didn't like to see those sweaty fingerprints on that dirty glass and have to put my fingers on something where 1000's others just touched it  ... next time I bring some kleenex ????

Windex is King

I do not see the technical possibility of biometric resulting in this at all. What does an arrest warrant have to do with biometrics? Unless a few recently also got their fingerprints digitalised and are all on bail? Neither for blacklisting, that could only apply on new blacklisted people who have submitted their fingerprints. Also not seeing how this would work with overstayers being caught. BS story.

If anything of it is true (doubting numbers), it is not about biometrics but about using their systems in general, (half) properly. 
Seems they are trying to justify their 1984 measures to continue with even more soon.

The only thing biometrics can help with, is verifying the passport to be real and compare with a local digitalised database (non existent until recently as far I know).

15 hours ago, webfact said:

In a span of just three days, the system has helped police arrest 8,000 illegal immigrants, fake passport holders, overstaying travellers, and legal offenders on arrest warrants. 

If that ISN'T fake then I fear no police work is going to be done for at least the next 6 months as they'll still be doing the safari style photo op's !

16 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the proficiency of this system depends on the commitment and collaboration of responsible offices including the police, immigration office, and the Justice Department to update and share their databases to make sure the system can identify a suspect even after he/she changes identity.

Does this system also take into account the brown envelope system? ,,,,,LOL

Archived