TG president warns airline on brink of collapse, staff must work harder

webfact

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This may or may not be true, but...

I stopped flying with Thai Airways a long time ago because of over-priced tickets and lousy service.

Same for me, however, recently their prices seem to have dropped. They are now more in line with Jetstar, at least on the BKK - Mel route

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Just picked a random date to go back to UK for 2 weeks to see example cost of direct flights (november 5th to november 19th) :

EVA - £575

BA - £576

TA - £662

So, Thai as expected 15% more expensive that other airlines. That's why they are going bust - simply not competitive.

I often thought THAI were always more expensive from BKK-LHR round trip, but more competitive LHR-BKK (i.e. for bookings made in the UK), so I thought I'd take a look for the same dates:

EVA - £571

BA - £448

TA - £829

(admittedly, THAI's cheapest fare was unavailable, but I can't see it being £250 less)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I can't imagine anything scarier and more sad to an average Thai than hearing that he/she has to "work harder". 

The staff must feel they are in an existential crisis, and tens of thousands will likely resign en masse.

Staff: "No more sanuk sabai maibenrai???"

The staff also get very good salaries....i know one of them..and my wife does her tax paperwork.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

They need outside help. The Saudi's realised this and got Tim Clark to turn the airline around but typical loss of face means they would rather go under than ask for outside expert help.

That will be Sir Tim Clark of Emirates Airline in Dubai you're referring to I presume.

Nothing to do with the Saudis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was less than 2 months ago this same man said the airline was not in trouble amid speculation of major problems and now they are hemoraging 36billion a year, the staff have very little to do with that and even if they worked 24 hours a day for zero wages it would not help the bottom line that much, the management of this company is negligent and complicit in this debacle and should all be sacked and replaced with competant persons.

2 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

……. taking the train up the peninsular..., stopping off at specific places of interest(to me) on the journey northwards, through Bangkok and then on to Chiang Mai and/or Nong Khai....., and various side trips are very easily done.

That sounds such fun.  Really good, imaginative travelling.

3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I'm surprised the president would make such a statement.

Who's going to book their flight with Thai now that they may go under at any time.

Too late...i just booked my flight yesterday...????

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I often thought THAI were always more expensive from BKK-LHR round trip, but more competitive LHR-BKK (i.e. for bookings made in the UK), so I thought I'd take a look for the same dates:

EVA - £571

BA - £448

TA - £829

(admittedly, THAI's cheapest fare was unavailable, but I can't see it being £250 less)

I booked a TG LHR-BKK Return yesterday... with seat selection both ways...£504.

6 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Khun Prayut Chan-o-cha is sure to be very upset with this news. What will potential EEC investors think......... if Thailand can't even run their own airline what can they run?

Or perhaps if they can't run an airline how are they going to run his precious EEC HS trains with an equally incompetent SRT?

Looks like a big government bail out coming up and the trough will be refilled to the brim to accommodate all the freeloaders. In the meantime the grunts can work harder and longer.

But it's all OK because their catering division and their Puff and Pie shops will bail them out (yesterday's BP and on here on TV yesterday).

Close the doors. 

• Like 2