Trump suspends 40 billion baht worth of duty-free trade for Thailand

rooster59

13 minutes ago, weegee said:

This all smells like the UN to me....Trump isn't interested in workers wages in Thailand....

Agree, though doesn't make as good headline! seems every article starts with "Trump" these days - busy man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Look at the silver lining. Part of the reason why the baht is so strong is because of the trade surplus they are running. These tariffs ( if they are enacted) will help weaken the Baht.

A country currency is not due to trade factor alone, Thai economy is not that strong these days but the currency is still strengthening.

This is largely due to speculating funds seeking sanctuaries which drive high demand for Thai baht in times of economic uncertainty caused by Trump.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, HOAX said:

Whatever makes the Baht eventually come crashing down is good news to me. The higher the Baht is climbing, the higher the fall will be and the worse it will be for the Thai economy.

Well, that's at least what I'm hoping for.

EVERY asset moves up and down so there is no doubt that you will get your wish.  The thing is when?  Keep an eye on interest rates as they are much of what is propping up the Baht .... which I think we all agree is undeserved based on national productivity.

This is really bad timing for Thailand, and will not affect the USA in the slightest.

...and the next few weeks will be very interesting for Thailand in terms of currency manipulation. 

These are desperate times for Thailand on so many levels...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

There has to be a connection-  Thai exports to the US will cost  alot more if this goes through.

However, there is a 6 month delay in it going into effect- more than enough time for 'one hand to wash another'.

Thailand has been afraid to  in tervene in the currency markets so as not to be labelled a currency manupulator   by the US.  Let's see if we see intervention now by the BOT and Western currencies rise while the Baht falls.

While Thailand needs to come off the preferntial list of countries for export-  if the US has tied all this to a poison speaks volumes of who the World is dealing with.  

The US ysed to stand for a country that was ethical......no  longer.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Some months ago the USA changed India from a 3rd world country to a 2nd world country and stopped the privileged customs for Indian exports, also because India demands very high customs for imports. Now I am curious what will happen if Trump finds out that it´s the same with Thailand. They also get very low customs for exports in the US (chemicals, hard discs and computer parts and so on) but demands crazy tariffs for US wines, cars and so on (for cars it´s 200 - 300%). Thailand makes a lot of money with these high customs - one reason why the VAT is so low - but if they have to lower them dramatically, the country will get a huge financial problem.

why you think they need to lower them..if the car is made and sold in los no import tax apply..high import dutys make sure production stay in the country....

• Confused 3

25 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

. There has to be a connection-  Thai exports to the US will cost  alot more if this goes through.

However, there is a 6 month delay in it going into effect- more than enough time for 'one hand to wash another'.

Thailand has been afraid to  in tervene in the currency markets so as not to be labelled a currency manupulator   by the US.  Let's see if we see intervention now by the BOT and Western currencies rise while the Baht falls.

While Thailand needs to come off the preferntial list of countries for export-  if the US has tied all this to a poison speaks volumes of who the World is dealing with.  

The US ysed to stand for a country that was ethical......no  longer.  

Not who the world is dealing with but what, he a walking diagnostic manual.

Ethics>>YTrump====oxymoron.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Sure. So Trump can say: "Lets make high tariffs on hard disks and other computer stuff to force the companies to build them in the US". He can do the same as Thailand does. 

Also many of the Thailand made cars go to by example Australia. So Australia can say "Let´s ask for 200 - 300% tariff for cars. So Mitsubishi, Ford, Toyota are forced to build plants in Australia". Then Thailand will lose this exports.

https://commodity.com/thailand/

Considering the Australian car industry was closed down fully a few years ago, I doubt the government would consider the subsidies required would be an investment.

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Considering the Australian car industry was closed down fully a few years ago, I doubt the government would consider the subsidies required would be an investment.

Ok, perhaps Australia is a bad example because not enough people are living there for an own car industry. But look at this statistics. Cars are the most important export to other ASEAN countries. But try to import a car from another ASEAN country. Very high customs. What will happen if they also ask for 200 - 300%?
https://www.nationthailand.com/Economy/30355983

45 minutes ago, DLock said:

This is really bad timing for Thailand, and will not affect the USA in the slightest.

...and the next few weeks will be very interesting for Thailand in terms of currency manipulation. 

These are desperate times for Thailand on so many levels...

The best many of us can hope for is that Thailand will do what they usually cannot avoid doing: put on a fake brave face, act impervious and try to fight back. 

I really pray they do fight back, maybe thinking China will come to their rescue. Subsequently, they will be labeled as being in China's orbit. 

If that happens, they will be absolutely devastated. 

Let's see which is stronger, their pride or their policy. 

• Thanks 1