Thailand's September foreign tourist arrivals up 10% year-on-year - ministry

webfact

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

Hmmmm.........I wonder why hotels in Phuket are reducing prices; why the real estate spruikers are crying in their beers; why small shops are closing, and small hotels and guest houses are reporting low/no bookings??

Someone is telling porkies, and I've got a good idea who!!

The Ministry is quoting year on year numbers, so maybe September last year was particularly bad.

i live in Phuket and just this week we started to see some tourists about. Before that virtually nothing. But even so, tourist numbers in the area I live appear nothing like 4/5 years ago, even Chinese. Can’t say I have seen any Indians at all.

was in Koh Lanta last week for 4 days, real bliss, no tourists to speak of at all. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I hear what you are saying for sure but on another note i did make 2 trips into Bangkok from Dubai during September and 3 in October and the plane was rammed on each occasion. So it was busier than i have seen for a while for sure. 

I don't know if their numbers are correct or not. Hat Yai is busy, but it runs on a different model to most of Thailand, it's weekend visitors from Malaysia and Singapore. Probably because Malaysians and Singaporeans are also feeling the pinch they're travelling closer to home this year.

What gets me is the conflicting reports, from the Tourism Ministry it's peachy, the Finance Ministry meanwhile says things are less rosy, whilst transport officials are suggesting cuts to airports, or not. Local authorities and hotelier groups say it's hard times. You're left not knowing who to believe.

It just leaves you sceptical, particularly of TAT, who seem to have Buzz Lightyear as resident statistician - "To infinity and beyond!"

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

I really dont understand why it matters so much to TV readers. Every time its mentioned the same knicker-knotted people come out to foam with rage. Why? How does affect you?

People just don't like when someone tries to convince them

that it is NOT dark at night. Not everyone is Chinese...

• Like 1

i totally hope all tourism and busines whit thailand have end and closed little time and thais understand how many milliard he need foreign money ewerytime, if tourism and expats and busines no have whit thailand thailand have big big problem and economy go fast down because money no go in thailand and busines no have and millions thai peoples no have work, if thailand no understand thats and change idiot monkeyland visa system to normal human system have better anybody normal human no go tourism travell in thailand again newer. then thais understand must be grow to normal human and forget all idiot monkeyland stupid <deleted> system and make normal law and system immigration and law. now all immigration laws have somebody super idiot make and plan ,and must be change all law, we not live monkey jungle live today, maybe thais has live before but thais need understand today we not need live than monkey in jungle, we have normal human NOT thai monkey idiots. and laws at immigration need change too out off monkeys idiot law and make new normal human laws.

36 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

Absolute rubbish, who are they trying to fool ?

I live in a tourist resort and it’s never been so quiet in 12 years !

Same case here in Chiang Mai. it's the most quiet I have seen it over the past 3 years of living here..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I agree there are a lot of pessimistic posters on this site, but even you must agree that the TAT seem to release contradictory reports on an almost weekly basis. 

Its more like daily in an effort to qualify the high value of the baht .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's September foreign tourist arrivals up 10% year-on-year - ministry

I love it.  The other day on Thai Visa was a post showing that hotels were heavily discounting rooms because of the lack of guests. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

I really dont understand why it matters so much to TV readers. Every time its mentioned the same knicker-knotted people come out to foam with rage. Why? How does affect you?

You mean the constant lying of Government officials and the likes?

Since I live here (and work in the tourism business): yeah...kinda affects me on a daily basis!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saengd said:

These figures have been questioned before on TV.

How are the samples being taken ? What are they measuring ? How big is the sample ?

Someone suggested it is was measured using data from credit card companies. The Chinese are much more likely to use plastic particularly when shopping in the malls. Farangs typically use cash. I doubt barfines, girls, beers, meals etc are being counted for example.

Tourist arrivals is not the same as tourist nites spend.

From statistics we learned that number of the before typical Western tourists are slightly decreasing, whilst number Asia tourists, especially Chinese, are increasing, and that Asian tourist spend less days in the Kingdom compared to Westerners that often travel a longer distance.

It's before been stated in the news articles that Western tourists typically stay for two week or longer, whilst Asian tourists stay for 4-5 days only.

So number of arrivals can well be up, but total number of tourists staying at any given time down.

Also the behavior of different Nation's tourist might be noticeable different, so where Westerners used to flock before, might seem empty now, whilst the Asian tourists can be found elsewhere. 

• Like 2