Sleep

RickG16

I get phases where either going off to sleep is difficult or where I have disturbed sleep, waking several times etc.

i think in many (most?) instances its the natural ups and downs of lifes path and the issues we face that effect our rhythm of sleep.Naturally there are other cases where there is an underlying issue or specific event that's caused it.

I use 3mg melatonin when I need help and find it helps me get off to sleep, either taken before going to sleep or taken as required to get back off to sleep.

When it has a specific cause and needs something a little more potent I use a prescription medicine called Flulium 5mg to assist until whatever the cause is, is under control or passed.

• Like 2

Just now, CharlieH said:

I get phases where either going off to sleep is difficult or where I have disturbed sleep, waking several times etc.

i think in many (most?) instances its the natural ups and downs of lifes path and the issues we face that effect our rhythm of sleep.Naturally there are other cases where there is an underlying issue or specific event that's caused it.

I use 3mg melatonin when I need help and find it helps me get off to sleep, either taken before going to sleep or taken as required to get back off to sleep.

When it has a specific cause and needs something a little more potent I use a prescription medicine called Flulium 5mg to assist until whatever the cause is, is under control or passed.

I've never been prescribed sleeping pills, and when I've tried them I feel really groggy in the morning. But I am at the point when I am considering it.

I struggle due to an unpredictable work pattern, plus social life which can throw me off track. It is just so hard to get into a routine due to these things, that sometimes I think I might as well give up and just sleep whenever I am tired.... but this just isn't compatible with day to day life. 

Long story short, it takes so much effort to try and regulate my sleep. But I realise it needs to be done. 

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Only personal opinion, but sleep is very important, its important to have adequate and peaceful rest. I an not one who likes or runs to chemicals etc hence the melatonin, but I also see nothing wrong with having a little help occasionally, hence the prescription med. The important issue in my book is that you handle it correctly and dont become reliant on any one method. Help is one thing, reliance is something else, and needs a deeper look as to the root cause etc.

One thing which works for me is absolutely killing myself in the gym for about an hour. I get to sleep better and have a better quality sleep.

At the moment I don't have a membership though. But this video works well if I can put myself through 20 minutes of hell.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, faraday said:

Wake up most mornings at 04:40, have done for years.

I'd love a decent night's kip.

It's your circadian rhythm or body clock.

Don't knock it.
I wake around 3 - 3.30am and go for a walk in the park at 4am - seriously.   I live outside a small market town south of Khon Kaen which has a basic keep fit park with ponds etc.   Great

• Like 2

I have had bouts of not being able to sleep. Tried all the medicine (melatonin / gaba / HTT5 / anti histamine / clono / zinc / fill in a few more. 

In the end i found dreamjuice to work, it comes from Belgium and it puts me to sleep and I dont wake up groggy.

Exercise did not help much.. i always exercised but it did not help me sleep.

I hate it when my sleep is bad and i still havent found the cause.

• Like 2

According to my FitBit I don't sleep that well. Usually I get average 7 hours but there is no pattern that I can see. 'Overthinking' is probably an issue. Other times I can be dead tired during the daytime for no apparent reason.

38 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

It's your circadian rhythm or body clock.

Don't knock it.
I wake around 3 - 3.30am and go for a walk in the park at 4am - seriously.   I live outside a small market town south of Khon Kaen which has a basic keep fit park with ponds etc.   Great

I do much the same.. wake up 3:30 or 4 and go for a bike ride on the cycle track around the lake across the road from our place.. probably surprising to some there are always others out there walking or jogging.. I go to bed early and get lots of sleep but wake up for a pee every 2 or 3 hours.. always go back to sleep no problem.. might have something to do with drinking a couple of beers in the afternoon.. 

20 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I don't wear a watch, I eat when I'm hungry and sleep when I'm tired. Why impose timetables on yourself? Pointless.

Because otherwise you miss appointments, or are tired for things you need to be awake for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Because otherwise you miss appointments, or are tired for things you need to be awake for.

So you lie there stressing about getting to sleep and being too tired for an appointment or work in the morning. Which makes getting to sleep even harder. It's a vicious circle. I used to be the same when I was working. Now I say "Sod the appointment" and "Who cares if I'm tired for things I need to be awake for?"

That's the beauty of retirement, there's nothing important enough to get stressed about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

That's the beauty of retirement, there's nothing important enough to get stressed about.

I think that's the key... I'm not retired. So I might have more appointments or things I can't be tired for.

What you do work for you, so that's the main thing ????

• Like 1