Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd just take a hammer along and bang it down myself. Take about 10 seconds.

They (the contractors) have started to take away some of the formwork. The spike is at the end section. Hopefully they will remove it this morning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Does anyone recall the name of the photography progam that Asterix* used and recommended?

I  thought that I had saved it but it seems,alas,that I did not..

Anyway Michel..wherever you are now-may the slopes be gentle and the views forever enchanting from the top.

Faststone photo viewer ( see post #597 )

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Just noticed!

A week of reflection?! Haven't even got there yet.

Sorry guys. Should read Owl Log - 18-05-2020.

I think you should stop using dates for your log. Life in Issan is governed by the seasons, it appears the rainy season is now underway, so how about 'Rainy Season Day 4'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:43 PM, owl sees all said:

Just noticed!

A week of reflection?! Haven't even got there yet.

Sorry guys. Should read Owl Log - 18-05-2020.

I read it, but obviously didn’t read it... I must have been recovering from reading your profile ! ????

A weighty tome indeed ! ????????

Firstly let me say I'm not a 'nature' type of person at all. I'm into technology.

Having said that, what's the interest with Eucalyptus? Is this a new(-ish) thing for you? I've obviously not been paying attention during your broadcast of The Archers recently.

The reason I'm asking about Eucalyptus (and this is not a political comment at all) is I remember reading that in Thaksin's time he apparently pushed the cultivation of Eucalyptus as a saviour in areas with very little water in the top soil, as the plant was very good at drawing up water from deeper down.

To start with it was a success, but once the water had been 'sucked up', then nothing else would grow there for (IIRC) seven years?

Right, now I've shown my ignorance - what is the reason? Anything at all to do with low water levels?

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, bluesofa said:

Firstly let me say I'm not a 'nature' type of person at all. I'm into technology.

Having said that, what's the interest with Eucalyptus? Is this a new(-ish) thing for you? I've obviously not been paying attention during your broadcast of The Archers recently.

The reason I'm asking about Eucalyptus (and this is not a political comment at all) is I remember reading that in Thaksin's time he apparently pushed the cultivation of Eucalyptus as a saviour in areas with very little water in the top soil, as the plant was very good at drawing up water from deeper down.

To start with it was a success, but once the water had been 'sucked up', then nothing else would grow there for (IIRC) seven years?

Right, now I've shown my ignorance - what is the reason? Anything at all to do with low water levels?

City boy here, so I'm entirely out of my depth, but I was told that the eucalyptus tree is popular because it is suitable for coppicing and/or pollarding. In other words (unlike many species of tree) it can be cut down (harvested) and will grow again, and again, and again quite quickly. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:17 AM, owl sees all said:

Mrs Owl accused me of paying women on the internet last night. She knows I have riches hidden away. Secret bank accounts. Piles of dosh; somewhere! Lots of credit/debit cards.

I'm waiting to find out who these women are you've been paying on the internet.????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mangoes have become a prob. Now even at 2.5 Bht a kilo the trucks are not turning up for their minimum 1000 kilo loads to Bkk or points NE. According to Mrs Pineapple the big plantation are looked after by elderly parents who rely on them being picked for them and are now being left to fall n rot, causing smelly orchards. I am not brave enough to question this info but it sounds logical, and its the first year ive never chased Old Ladies away from our few trees............. Is there a Go Fund Me for Rain its getting silly now in North Central.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Mangoes have become a prob. Now even at 2.5 Bht a kilo the trucks are not turning up for their minimum 1000 kilo loads to Bkk or points NE. According to Mrs Pineapple the big plantation are looked after by elderly parents who rely on them being picked for them and are now being left to fall n rot, causing smelly orchards. I am not brave enough to question this info but it sounds logical, and its the first year ive never chased Old Ladies away from our few trees............. Is there a Go Fund Me for Rain its getting silly now in North Central.

This year has been a disaster for the mango growers. The big plantations have had trouble getting workers to pick. The price has dropped, everyone, it seems has a few trees. A plantation near us has been selling around the villages for 5 Bhat a kilo.

It is a very narrow window; about three weeks. I don't know how the huge commercial plantation near Kalasin got on. They would normally send their harvest straight to China. Bad news all round.

SN852118.thumb.JPG.fa03c66063a17c2ac5ace5b5293c3af2.JPGSN852090.thumb.JPG.10a57804a7fce0180ea314368bcc22d6.JPG

This particular farm normally sends a couple of million mangoes to China in just 4 days. Has a workforce of a hundred during this time.

I visited there a couple of years back. Decided against planting them in numbers. Glad I made that decision.

SN852108.thumb.JPG.7b20a3e5432e11806daccf51a4f8801a.JPG

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Spent an hour with Mildred this morning revising conversions from fractions to decimal to percentages; and back. Think I'm getting the hang of it.

At school I used to think that I was being taught things that I would never need in real life. Yet, here I am 50+ years later, teaching my 8 year-old, finding it invaluable.

It's amazing that it all comes flooding back (well, trickling back).

However, some things do baffle me ...

Today we had to learn "science of living things"

Q1: Living things grow, move by themselves, respond to stimuli, reproduce and ______ .

Choose the correct answer from these options:

A. sleep

B. play

C. live

D. die

:blink:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

At school I used to think that I was being taught things that I would never need in real life. Yet, here I am 50+ years later, teaching my 8 year-old, finding it invaluable.

It's amazing that it all comes flooding back (well, trickling back).

However, some things do baffle me ...

Today we had to learn "science of living things"

Q1: Living things grow, move by themselves, respond to stimuli, reproduce and ______ .

Choose the correct answer from these options:

A. sleep

B. play

C. live

D. die

:blink:

Assuming it's a question regarding Thailand, it must be A.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sterling said:

@owl sees all How are things with Mrs Owl now? Has she seen the error of her ways?

Since we have now ploughed and rotivated the land ready for eucalyptus planting she seems much improved.

It's just a spell she is going through. Started when she was about three years old. She's trying hard to mature; I'l give her that.

I've not had a cat thrown at me for a number of years. Although I got threatened with a heart-attack two weeks ago.

Things are looking good in the Owl household.

• Like 2