Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I looked at that cheese monger Mellis website. In Scotland. Been there since 1893.

OOPS. My bad. Small print. 1993.

All the more reason for me to visit Jerry. Just as soon as Scotland breaks free from the English - or rather the City of London - stranglehold. If they want to of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

For a while early 1970's in California, I lived near enough to the Rouge et Noir Creamery now renamed

https://marinfrenchcheese.com/

Founded 1865 -- oldest cheese maker in USoA.

image.jpeg.4dc8c3a6e5702b64ac86624a1355635d.jpeg

Thanks Jerry. A small map of the actual cheese factory.

112318868_cheesefactory.png.a71db079a27e97baeeefb8afde83d7de.png

Only ever been to the US once. And that was the other side of the continent; Maine.

Got to know an American girl on a ferry once. Nice skin I remember.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Congratulations!

Another one I don't like.

Looking back, can't think of any I like now. But when 'Summer Holiday' and 'Living doll' were about, perhaps I was a lot younger.

5 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes! Yes! And even more yes! Give it to me.

There was a shop in Udon that did cheese, and other farang delicatseez, like Marmite and Bovril. But it moved from the Aundulet Road over to near Nong Bua. Never found it again.

That great English icon, Cliff Richard, went on a cheese only diet way back. Kept it up for 12 months. Didn't do him too much harm.

Imo the living doll has been cheesy ever since he left The Shadows 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The footy. Just have to comment. Not on the Spain, Germany draw, which really means that they will both go through.

No! It's the England shirts. There is me all tarted up in me proper Three Lions shirt and the players are prancing about in anything but.

1731933199_threelions11.png.87df80538cbba394ca1be3c79507f441.png

Where is the red of England?

shirts.png.968bb2fdb9d29292b44408aa5c79f07d.png

At least they got the Three Lions right; and on the shorts too.

Where does all this blue come from? OK, I hear you, Wales play in red also. So why not all white like Leeds, but with a red cross. Seem to recall a shirt like that yonks ago.

All this blue is just an insult to us proper English.

I thought the English were as hard to insult as us Aussies ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I thought the English were as hard to insult as us Aussies ?

The two countries that we have had most fights with down the centuries are both in blue shirts. France and Scotland. Don't want to see blue on our shirts, except on the badge; and I'd see that changed if I was in charge.

Ireland is about to become united and Scotland is gonna be an independent. All we will have then is Wales and the Isle of Man. But we are still in charge down under.  Our beloved King Charles is boss of many places. Too many to mention.. But I will just say one; OZ.!!

Big one tomorrow; Iran vs The US. And who will play in red in the other match?

Lived in Wales many yonks ago. Yakki daa.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

@LacessitDo you mind sharing more details about your diet?

Ive tried low carb in the past but the cravings usually get me after a while.

I was always told cheese was off-limits, but the delicious cheeses that you and Owl have posted these past few days have me intrigued.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sotonowl said:

Never met Cliff but once bumped into Hank Marvin in a hotel bar. After a few sherbets I asked him what the worst thing about his fame was. Quick as a flash he said, "Without a doubt, it's my name. Everytime I introduce myself I'm offered a sandwich."

Or a Ruby Murray?

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Yeah, she'll only wait so long. She's probably casting her net elsewhere now. Can't let it go hungry Owl, it needs feeding. Please enquire about her Aunty Annie next time you do see her and let us know if getting fed on a regular basis.

You are so right Owl. Must sort her out.

Is it OK to call you blue and white striped owl? Tough game they had at the w/e, and they got a point. Just have to hang in there for the play-offs.

Ting is in my thoughts. Especially when Mrs Owl 'yak' 'yaks' me for nothing. Don't fully understand what you are getting at with the food Owl. She said she was gonna save herself for me. And she called me her 'handsome man'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2022 at 2:16 PM, owl sees all said:

You are so right Owl. Must sort her out.

Is it OK to call you blue and white striped owl? Tough game they had at the w/e, and they got a point. Just have to hang in there for the play-offs.

Ting is in my thoughts. Especially when Mrs Owl 'yak' 'yaks' me for nothing. Don't fully understand what you are getting at with the food Owl. She said she was gonna save herself for me. And she called me her 'handsome man'.

Blue and White Striped Owl? I like it.

It was a difficult watch on Saturday, The Owls that is, neither team threatened. We're after automatic promotion Owl, i'd see the play offs again as a bit of a failure as well as a lottery.

I never mentioned food Owl. Not everything is fed food, some things need to be fed other stuff.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Blue and White Striped Owl? I like it.

It was a difficult watch on Saturday, The Owls that is, neither team threatened. We're after automatic promotion Owl, i'd see the play offs again as a bit of a failure as well as a lottery.

I never mentioned food Owl. Not everything is fed food, some things need to be fed other stuff.????

Only Barnsley managed a win in the top 8. Ipswich dropped points to lowly opposition, and Plymouth even lost at home. So the draw with the Rams was not that crucial. Can't see Plymouth staying at the top for much longer. Could easily be Tractors and Owls on auto. Long, long way to go yet. Twists and turns inevitable.

I do get your jist about Ting. But she seems like a good girl. Never been to Pattaya. Loves her cat. And likes fishing. Learnt her English at Uni'. And I am her 'hansum man'. I think she will save herself for me.

Mildred back at school today. I made a mistake with setting the alarm last evening and we all got up late this morning. Fortunately the bus was a little late so all turned out OK.

France the next victim for the St George sharp sword.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

i'd see the play offs again as a bit of a failure as well as a lottery.

I'm not keen on the play-offs as they are now.

I'd like to see the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th places teams playing the 23rd, 22nd, 21st and 20th in the division above. Only the champs, and only the rock-bottom should be on auto. Could be one-off games at a large capacity stadium, or a home and away structure. It means that as many as 5 could go up, or as few as one.

Changes are needed. At the moment, it's as you say Owl, a lottery.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I'm not keen on the play-offs as they are now.

I'd like to see the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th places teams playing the 23rd, 22nd, 21st and 20th in the division above. Only the champs, and only the rock-bottom should be on auto. Could be one-off games at a large capacity stadium, or a home and away structure. It means that as many as 5 could go up, or as few as one.

Changes are needed. At the moment, it's as you say Owl, a lottery.

I'm a bit traditional Owl, I'd happily go back to 2 up and 2 down but I understand that just like the pussy needs feeding the cash cow needs milking. If these things don't happen, all sorts of stuff starts breaking down and going haywire. If the pussy is not fed, who can blame it for seeking nourishment elsewhere. And the cash cow? If it isn't milked, it will stop producing.

I always thought the third placed clubs got a raw deal. They finish third, over 46 games and usually someone who finished below them gets promoted. This article is 6 years old but reckons 3rd placed teams have a 40% chance of going up, whilst the other 3 places have around a 20% chance. Still 40% against 60% though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I'm a bit traditional Owl, I'd happily go back to 2 up and 2 down but I understand that just like the pussy needs feeding the cash cow needs milking. If these things don't happen, all sorts of stuff starts breaking down and going haywire. If the pussy is not fed, who can blame it for seeking nourishment elsewhere. And the cash cow? If it isn't milked, it will stop producing.

I always thought the third placed clubs got a raw deal. They finish third, over 46 games and usually someone who finished below them gets promoted. This article is 6 years old but reckons 3rd placed teams have a 40% chance of going up, whilst the other 3 places have around a 20% chance. Still 40% against 60% though.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/10275474/football-league-play-offs-is-third-place-a-curse-or-is-that-a-myth

Forgot to post the link.

• Like 1

Couldn't make out what it was all about. The Mrs told me to give them a sack of rice. She explained that they were helping the poor people.

Could you make sure you tell them i'll be out all day on Thursday please Owl?

The Owls get a point at Exeter.

The Owls got lucky, got the equaliser well into injury time.

As far as England go, I reckon it's all that kneeling that's messing them up. Why don't they just concentrate on the football.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sotonowl said:

The Owls got lucky, got the equaliser well into injury time.

As far as England go, I reckon it's all that kneeling that's messing them up. Why don't they just concentrate on the football.

I don't mind Exeter at all. They are one of the few clubs in the 4 divisions that are owned and run by the fans. Manchester United supporters missed out on being able to buy the club. It was on offer for 12 million a while back. Should have put their money where their mouths were. Derby are in the same place now. A few thousand supporters putting their hands in their pocket would secure their beloved club's future.

Make you right about the kneeling. Where is a Stan Cullis when he's needed?

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1