Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 11/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, bermondburi said:

God forbid I ever end up like the op. 

Different folks for different strokes I guess. 

The guy's happy. He's made a lifestyle for himself and is sharing something that is open for all of us - making our time here in Thailand worthwhile. He probably speaks Thai too.

good luck to him.

God forbid that we all end up like you as well!

Cynical and dismissive - must get on really well with Thai people, eh?

Good luck with that too.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, owl sees all said:

I've been in Isaan for 12 years and I find it fascinating. Virtually every week there is something that I find of interest or something that surprises me, dismays me and sometimes shocks me.

My wife runs four biggish farms and they too have had their ups and downs recently. This year there has been very little rain and the rice harvest was abysmal. Also, I couldn't fill the ponds up enough to risk putting in fish. I have still got 80% water in two ponds, but I've sacrificed three others to get this.

A neighbor recently killed our farm dog (because it killed one of his chickens) and someone borrowed 10 litres of diesel from the farm house store without telling us. We found out who it was. Of course, he just forgot to tell us; but he would have eventually!

The wife was on the loo and couldn't give rice to the monk the other day. She asked me to give it. No problem! But I didn't get on my knees; just called him over and tipped it into his pot. I got the 'thank you' verse all the same. Later, when the wife found out that I'd not even bowed my head she was not best amused. "You must not be higher than monk," said she.

But, there are lovely things aplenty in the village. Dancing and laughter and Lao Khao drinking. Somone had had a bit of good fortune on the lottery.

I'll try to update the thread a couple of times a week. Shortly I'm off to Nong Khai to get some grow bags for my avocado trees that I've grown from seed and will soon need potting. I'll put in some pics as I go.

I assume you know trees grown from avocado pits usually grow no fruit or don't breed true.

I also have one myself. 12 foot tall but no fruit. Still it was fun to grow and looks nice.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I assume you know trees grown from avocado pits usually grow no fruit or don't breed true.

I also have one myself. 12 foot tall but no fruit. Still it was fun to grow and looks nice.

I have read that a avo grown from seed takes 7/8 years to give fruit. That is a bonus if it happens. Nice looking tree.

I'e done well with the pineapple. Three fruits from the one head.

On 7/2/2024 at 7:46 AM, owl sees all said:

Thanks for those reflective words Bundooman.

Ups and downs. Twists and turns. Never a straight path here. But I'm giving it a go.

As for the Thai. The daughter said to me the other day; ''Bet you can't reel off 30 Thai words.''

''Easy Peasy. I could do 1000.'' I said.

'Go on then. Let's hear them.''

''Noon, song, sam, see, har, sook,,''

''No numbers!''

She got me. But I do know one most important word when I want a cuppa. ''Teerak.''

Sook? What number is that? 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I have read that a avo grown from seed takes 7/8 years to give fruit. That is a bonus if it happens. Nice looking tree.

I'e done well with the pineapple. Three fruits from the one head.

It's funny how one pineapple grows out at the top of another and then another grows out

• Like 1