Condominium Act

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

Hi There,

I would like to know if it would be authorized, legal, to put an additional lock to condominium doors of owners not paying the monthly charges for an amount of time of lets say 3+months?

Rgds,

Lots of condo blocks cut off services, elec, water etc. Not sure if its 100% legal but they do it.

Denying access to rooms is illegal

Cutting off water supply is illegal. Higher laws over ride this practice,

However for certain the management company that runs my building have disconnected power-on occasions.

They tell me that this action is not illegal. I only have their word for it.

There is a locked cupboard (large) on every balcony. The meters and isolation switches are housed inside each cupboard.

Each cupboard can only be opened by an official.

The opening of a particular cupboard by a non official is classed as a crime. If this were to occur -then the police would be notified.

The  Rules and Regs on this topic only quote the condo act.

Apologies for asking a slightly different question.

My wife's tenant recently (without telling her or asking) changed the lock on the condo and to date has not provided a spare key to her.

Is this illegal and does the condominium act apply.

4 hours ago, fantom said:

My wife's tenant recently (without telling her or asking) changed the lock on the condo and to date has not provided a spare key to her.

The condominium act only recognizes private area and common area. This same act has nothing to say with respect to to the whole process of renting put. 

Other Thai laws deal with that.

If your renting out agreement specifically stated the the apartment cannot be altered in any  'way ,shape or form-then the law will be on your side.

Before going down that route -I suggest that you communicate with the tenant. Try to understand the motives

Buy an digital security lock that you can control who enters the condo. Very simply ask the renter about rent or that you will have to throw him out. State a date. Then when hes out you just block his code and he cant enter. You can sit in you home in UK ex and alow new customers nw codes

5 hours ago, fantom said:

Replacing locks are allowed, but the owner must be notified (a new key copy to owner) for emergencies. Unless the tenant accept the responsibilities of all kind regarding the new lock. 

57 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Replacing locks are allowed, but the owner must be notified (a new key copy to owner) for emergencies. Unless the tenant accept the responsibilities of all kind regarding the new lock. 

Surely this is 100% on a case by case basis depending on the situplations in your contract? There is no necessity to give the owner, the building manager a new key for emergenices, again 100% on a case by case basis. No idea what laws you are basing your post on.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:44 PM, jomtienisgood said:

Hi There,

I would like to know if it would be authorized, legal, to put an additional lock to condominium doors of owners not paying the monthly charges for an amount of time of lets say 3+months?

Rgds,

What exactly are you trying to do? Add an extra lock to stop YOUR non paying tenant entering your condo, or are you saying you want to propose doing this to any owner in a condo block who is in arrears for the monthly charges.

If it is the latter I sincerely hope your condo is on the ground floor or we may be reading about you on this forum in the near future. And not in a nice way.

Mind your own business and let condo management sort it out.

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Surely this is 100% on a case by case basis depending on the situplations in your contract? There is no necessity to give the owner, the building manager a new key for emergenices, again 100% on a case by case basis. No idea what laws you are basing your post on.

You are “absolutely” right, 100%

you do it your way. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, Delight said:

Cutting off water supply is illegal. Higher laws over ride this practice,

Section 18/1 says:

“A joint owner with an amount in arrears under Section 18 from six months and upwards shall pay surcharge at the rate not exceeding twenty percents (20%) per year and may be suspended from receiving common services or using common property as set forth under the By-laws including the non-existence of the right to vote in the General Meeting.”

It is required that this be specified in the building’s bylaws, but if the building redistributes the water, as I think is common in most buildings, my interpretation is that this falls under “common services” which can thus be suspended. I think at least new buildings have an electricity meter per owner and registered in the owner’s name, so I don’t think the condominium has any right to interfere with that.

If the building has electronic access control, I would suggest delisting the access cards of any non-paying owner, making it a hassle for them to enter the building.

Archived