Fee for moving stamps from old passport to new passport?

Hi, ????

Monday I'll be going to Udon Thani Immigration, to have them "move the stamps" from my old American passport, to my brand new passport, which I just got in the mail this week.

Question: Does anyone know if they will charge a fee for this, and if so, how much?

Best to be prepared with Baht on hand, should the need arise.

Thank you!!! ❤️
Pawpcorn

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no official fee but some office want 500 baht to do it. Not sure if if Udon asks for it or not.

Thanks; I'll be sure to be bringing along at least that much, and then not act shocked if and when they ask me to pay a fee, 555

Thanks, ubonjoe!!!

Pawpcorn

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

I just did this with my new British passport which I got while in the UK last month.

I had to take a Pro Forma letter provided by the Embassy requesting assistance in the transfer of visa. You just fill in your relevant details in the spaces provided.

Also had to fill out a form at Jomtien immigration, with a copy of Main page of both passports, visa and re-entry permit in old one, plus entry stamp on new passport. The guy processing then took three more photocopies of various bits from the old passport, and of course I had to sign every page.

I went there on a Tuesday and had to go back the following day to pick it up.

There was no charge for doing it.

Oh gads, that just got a lot more complicated, LOL ????

The letter from the US Embassy is pretty bare-bones;  no spaces for information to be filled out, but it DOES already have the OLD passport number filled in already.

I'll be sure to bring photocopies of the pages (and re-entry form) from my old passport, in case they need it... 

AND I'll be mentally prepared to have to do a return visit the next day, if that's their routine there... The Udon Thani office hasn't been crowded nor busy the most recent times I've visited, so maybe they can just do this while I wait; but I'll be prepared for a second 85km round trip visit from home / there / back, should they ask. ????

At least I'm mentally prepared for the prospect; thank you for that! ????

I've gotta ask them for a fresh 90-day certificate, when they finish preparing my new passport, I do believe. 

Take care, ❤️

Pawpcorn

• Thanks 2

Last time I obtained a new British passport they changed over while I was renewing my retirement visa, cost nothing and nothing had to be photocopied. They recorded in my new book my first ever visa stamp and my current one. This was 9 years ago. Sometime in 2020 I will have to do this again, I wonder how much more complex it will have become?

I just did mine in Ratchaburi this past Monday.  There is no fee.  You need the letter from the Embassy, copies of your new passport front page, the TM 6 and TM29 from your old passport along with the profile page of your old passport and your first page visa and last extension.   But the first thing they said to me was "do you know you will need to show us insurance when you do your next extension" before I got through the front door.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ilms said:

I would also bring 500B or smaller notes, as many IO's seem to be averse to making change.

Good hint.

Not only immi. officers but other Thai people never have change :biggrin:

I didn't have to pay at Khon Kaen. Can't remember for sure whether they looked at the embassy letter. Think not.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

I just did mine in Ratchaburi this past Monday.  There is no fee.  You need the letter from the Embassy, copies of your new passport front page, the TM 6 and TM29 from your old passport along with the profile page of your old passport and your first page visa and last extension.   But the first thing they said to me was "do you know you will need to show us insurance when you do your next extension" before I got through the front door.

Hmm I'm drawing a blank, on Google, looking for a TM29 form. Did you mean TM-28? And how/where would this form... be located in the old Passport?

And RE the "will need to show us insurance" statement, may I ask which type of Non-Immigrant status you have?   I have (I beleive) a Non-Immigrant Type B status.

Thank you,

Pawpcorn

2 hours ago, ilms said:

I did this last year and was not asked for money. They also didn't ask to see the letter that my embassy had provided. They stamped a bunch of stuff in my new passport explaining the changeover, but all in all, it was pretty quick and easy. But, as some say, be prepared for anything. I would also bring 500B or smaller notes, as many IO's seem to be averse to making change.

+1

9 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Its not required.

It is if you are on an extension of stay unless you want carry and use both passports all the time.

It certainly has to be done prior to doing a 90 day report or a application for the next extension.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Sorry, maybe this has been asked already ... but.  Why bother moving them?  Its not required.  Save your money, time and potential stress.

if someone have 1 year extension it need to be moved if the old pp expires o_O...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kralledr said:

if someone have 1 year extension it need to be moved if the old pp expires o_O...

In most cases the old passport is marked as being canceled when the new passport issued. Which means not valid for most things a passport is needed for.

• Like 1

I transfered my extension of stay at CW last week. No fee and the pro forma from the British embassy was handed back to me as not required as I had gotten my new passport while in the UK and entered with both passports and stay stamp and tm6 were in the new passport. It took about 3 hours total. Now I have to get reentry permit transferred at airport on my next exit as that's where it was issued. Saves carrying both passports. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kurtmartens said:

Sorry, maybe this has been asked already ... but.  Why bother moving them?  Its not required.  Save your money, time and potential stress.

You mean why bother moving my stamps from the old passport to the new passport? Udon Immigration said I had to DO that, when I talked to them about my getting a new passport...I'm certain this is the ONLY way my new passport becomes "valid" and then prepared for my retirement Extension in February 2020, eh?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

(TM28 form)   Yes he did.

OK, so I now printed out a TM28 form, and since I can see it has the field for the PASSPORT NUMBER, (which of course has changed now) I can imagine why an updated TM28 form would make sense, regardless of not having changed my home location for the past 3 years... Am I looking at this form-situation correctly?

.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     

With the earlier reply about "insurance will be required" my anxiety level has jumped a few notches; being 70 now with a few chronic (yet manageable) health issues... I dread the possible prospect of having to purchase health insurance for my Non-Immigrant Type B visa status, regarding COST and AVAILABILITY... hoping this (mandatory health insurance) requirement is not a reality for me, yet. ????

Thanks to all who have replied to my new topic today! ❤️

Take care,

Pawpcorn

Edited by Pawpcorn
removed Reentry portion; addressed later on down

30 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I transferred my extension of stay at CW last week. No fee and the pro forma from the British embassy was handed back to me as not required as I had gotten my new passport while in the UK and entered with both passports and stay stamp and tm6 were in the new passport. It took about 3 hours total. Now I have to get reentry permit transferred at airport on my next exit as that's where it was issued. Saves carrying both passports. 

OH OK I now see the "ReEntry Permit" stamps in my passport; The PLACE ISSUED is Bangkok... back in 2012. 

So... you're saying I'd need to visit CW Immigration to move THESE stamps? AND it's necessary to have these stamps in my new passport?

Pawpcorn

Edited by Pawpcorn
update / correction /new question

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In most cases the old passport is marked as being canceled when the new passport issued. Which means not valid for most things a passport is needed for.

YES my old passport is stamped "CANCELLED" in red, on the first page, along with two big holes punched in it.

1 hour ago, Pawpcorn said:

Hmm I'm drawing a blank, on Google, looking for a TM29 form. Did you mean TM-28? And how/where would this form... be located in the old Passport?

And RE the "will need to show us insurance" statement, may I ask which type of Non-Immigrant status you have?   I have (I beleive) a Non-Immigrant Type B status.

Thank you,

Pawpcorn

I believe it is called TM 29 but I guess a TM 28 which shows the address you live at.  I have one in my passport for the last 5 years.  I am on an extension of stay based on an O/A visa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilms said:

I did this last year and was not asked for money. They also didn't ask to see the letter that my embassy had provided. They stamped a bunch of stuff in my new passport explaining the changeover, but all in all, it was pretty quick and easy. But, as some say, be prepared for anything. I would also bring 500B or smaller notes, as many IO's seem to be averse to making change.

I would take along a white envelope containing a printout of section 148 of the Criminal Code.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LvILUIhfSUOOPyKb3knxwlDY6Zkjcue0

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, kralledr said:

We can agree to disagree.  Visas do not expire just because a passport is expired / cancelled.  Even my wife's US visa doesn't need to be moved to her new Thai passport just because her original passport is expired.

16 minutes ago, Pawpcorn said:

OK so now I'm getting the drift that "reentry permit" is a "stamp" in my passport, is that correct? And then only the Immigration office that created that stamp can move it to the new passport, eh? Any chance of getting a visual (IE PICTURE) of what this "reentry permit" looks like, so I can located it in my old passport? Thanks!

Pawpcorn

Here's a picture of a single reentry permit stamp that was used. If you have an extension of stay then you must get a reentry permit stamp before you depart the country in order to be allowed back in on the same extension. Reentry permits can be obtained from your local IO or from an airport. Not sure if they are available at land borders. Single is 1000 Baht and multi is 3800 Baht 

20190218_160052.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Here's a picture of a single reentry permit stamp that was used. If you have an extension of stay then you must get a reentry permit stamp before you depart the country in order to be allowed back in on the same extension. Reentry permits can be obtained from your local IO or from an airport. Not sure if they are available at land borders. Single is 1000 Baht and multi is 3800 Baht 

Thank you very much for the excellent photo of that; I've got TWO back in 2012, issued in Bangkok; the one departing and the one returning.

So BOTH of these need to be moved to my new passport?

Edited by Pawpcorn
removed photo

28 minutes ago, Pawpcorn said:

OH OK I now see the "ReEntry Permit" stamps in my passport; The PLACE ISSUED is Bangkok... back in 2012. 

So... you're saying I'd need to visit CW Immigration to move THESE stamps?

No need to have a long expired re-entry permit transferred. 

If you have a newer valid one it would be transferred if it was issued at Udon. If not you can use both passports until you get a new re-entry permit when you get a new extension.

35 minutes ago, Pawpcorn said:

OK, so I now printed out a TM28 form, and since I can see it has the field for the PASSPORT NUMBER, (which of course has changed now) I can imagine why an updated TM28 form would make sense, regardless of not having changed my home location for the past 3 years... Am I looking at this form-situation correctly?

if you have a receipt for a previous TM28 report they would change the passport number on it. No need to file a new one.

• Like 1

????

21 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

We can agree to disagree.  Visas do not expire just because a passport is expired / cancelled.  Even my wife's US visa doesn't need to be moved to her new Thai passport just because her original passport is expired.

everyone wants to go to heaven....nobody wants to die

Edited by mylal
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No need to have a long expired re-entry permit transferred. 

If you have a newer valid one it would be transferred if it was issued at Udon. If not you can use both passports until you get a new re-entry permit when you get a new extension.

if you have a receipt for a previous TM28 report they would change the passport number on it. No need to file a new one.

Yes, thank you, that's quite reassuring, CW is a nightmare; I only have the LONG-AGO expired re-entry permit stamps; nothing more recent than the 2012.

I'll look through my paperwork from 3 years ago, to see if I have a "receipt" from my TM-28, back from when I moved from BKK to Udon; If I can't find it, I'll just file a new TM28, and ??? pay a fee for that, perhaps?

Thanks again, ❤️

Pawpcorn