Thai economy: Thais staying home and not going out to eat

webfact

I’ve always wondered how the ordinary Thai folk can afford to eat out so often. The usual restaurants were( last year) quite full of people from all walks of life. Boy’ and when they eat, they eat !

Generally ,in most European countries, people no longer always eat out once a week, mostly its once a fortnight, and lots once a month, and that’s been the norm for a good while now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Getting stingy?

Getting tight more like... the finances aren't going as far as they used to so the little luxuries in life go first.

A few nights out a month are now a thing of the past, sourcing cheaper items at the supermarket, cutting down or out on alcohol... all the usual things that add up the baht at the end of the month.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Villa market and Central 

Fair enough.  But why did she have to move all her shopping from Villa and Central to solely Makro?  My wife and I mix it up between Tesco (main shop), Sainsbury's, M&S, Waitrose, Morrisons, Iceland, Aldi and any other place when something catches our eye.  Different shops sell different products and special offers seem to rotate.  Gives us more variety, quality and money-saving options.  We would hate to be limited to just Makro, if I'm honest.  

• Like 2

This is the case for most westerners in Thailand as well, with a sluggish economy around Europe + a very weak currency exchange rate makes you have to really watch your money more carefully, back in the 2015,2014 I used to go out almost everyday, now I haven't been outside eating for probably 3-4 months since last time, and the last time I went to a bar is a year ago...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Is this really true that the portions are smaller when ordered through Grab or Foodpanda? Anyone else experienced this? I always thought the price was slightly higher when ordering through those apps plus you pay for delivery too.

A friend owns a restaurant. He told me that he and others reduce the portions to earn enough money after a 30%+ commission.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CNXexpat said:

A friend owns a restaurant. He told me that he and others reduce the portions to earn enough money after a 30%+ commission.

I regularly stay at a particular hotel in LOS and have done for at least the last ten years booked through Agoda.  It was only recently that the front of house staff offered me a discount by booking direct with them.  This has obviously been cascaded by the owner.  

• Like 1

WOW ! Now this is a very Positive article, I think, and well the offset of the previous total Makarb Tragedy of the Mental Health Issue !!! ... Like what a GREAT thing for people to be doing !!! ... Living their life ..with Time for thought !!! and a lot of Care !!! .... They will be starting to think Seriously and straightly aw well now maybe ? ... Like Peoples Lives will improve markedly I think, ...  and I bet their mental health ALSO will start to get a hell of a lot better also !!! ... Bravo !!!

• Haha 1

Just five months ago, I marveled at how the restaurants in the Big C were full, almost any night of the week.  Parking at Central was always full.  

But there was a wonderful "farm to table" Thai restaurant, very close to a local tourist attraction (art) that almost never had more than 2 or 4 people maximum.  Don't see how they made any money charging 30-60B for dishes.

And we went to a reservation only restaurant that costs 1000B for a tasting menu.  It was full.  They tried to sell me a 2000B bottle of Italian wine, 555.  I looked around.  Almost every table had a bottle of wine. Good times.

Believe it or not, income inequality in Thailand is causing this bifurcation.  

• Haha 1

Just now, SiSePuede419 said:

Believe it or not, income inequality in Thailand is causing this bifurcation.  

Believe it or not, when I was younger I had no disposable income working six days a week in a dead end job on minimum wage.  As time went by I branched out and shimmied my way up the greasy pole and now earn significantly more than I did back yonder.  It's the way of the world.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The good that may come from this is that Thais may realize how horribly corrosive, dreadfully incompetent, and corrupt the army really is, and maybe they will be able to rid themselves of these fools once and for all. 

And eventually one would assume a correction with the baht.

You are right

but unfortunately they have already the explaination

given by the governement and largely relayed by the medias

it's all because of the Brexit and the USA\China trade problems 

you'll rarely seen a Thai take its responsablities when a problem arrives

it's a cultural thing, the most important is still save the face, at all price.

2 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Just look at the Baht vs any western currency.  Then consider that 70% of this economy depends on exports and tourism.  China can’t save you, Thailand.  Just bring your Baht down—by whatever means.

QUOTE: 70% of this economy depends on exports and tourism.

WOOW!

Really?

The domestic economy accounts for only 30%?

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

My cat disappeared several weeks ago. Figured maybe a snake or a dog got him, but now I'm starting to wonder if a hunter-gatherer might not have been behind his disappearance.

I saw your cat as a stowaway on my flight to Vietnam.

Didn't tell anyone though.

I think he/she's happy there.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Believe it or not, when I was younger I had no disposable income working six days a week in a dead end job on minimum wage.  As time went by I branched out and shimmied my way up the greasy pole and now earn significantly more than I did back yonder.  It's the way of the world.  

Starting out at low wages when you were young isn't the cause of income inequality, 555.

Obviously, you are not a SME (Subject Matter Expert) on income inequality, LOL.

Do you know what the word "Dilletante" means?

• Like 2