Best 10 Airlines 2020 announced, no sign of THAI

webfact

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Care for another list from this month :biggrin:

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-airlines-in-the-world-2019-skytraxx-rankings-2019-6

Thai Air on #10.

What surprised me on the list from the OP is the fall of Qatar (which is #1 in the list here).

Here Air New Zealand on #16!

Now make your own list.

Didn't take long for the "But, But" brigade to pipe up. Better to keep quite as most posters on here fly often so have vast experience of airlines and you see most agreeing with the survey. Look at the criteria not withstanding Thai Airways gad it's hayday peak 20 years ago. Thai Airways is a perk for Thai hiso and wannabe hiso, the "Do you know who I am" brigade. A non profit company. So sad

• Thanks 1

I flew both Air NZ and Thai business couple of weeks ago. Difference is like night and day - literally. Thai dims the cabin on day flights. Probably so the attendants can gossip in peace while the passengers try to survive. Service with Air NZ was spot on, excellent wines too.

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

That was to be expected Interested to see what the Thai response to that, You guys dont know what you are talking about

I wholly agree... as TG sits right now, today, I don’t think they’re really and truly competitive against what is perennially the region with the lions share of “top 10” carriers.

so that end, I agree with CB.

where *I* think TG is at is somewhat of a crossroads - they have to make some fairly serious structural, operational and fiscal changes IF they truly want to change... or... they can do the proverbial “kick the can down the road” and simply defer making those hard choices to later.

i DO think Thai has what it takes to be in the so-called Top 10... I really do.. but.. right now, they’re simply not competitive at that top-tier level AND more importantly for me, they haven’t shown me that they are or will make the changes needed to be truly competitive with the likes of CX, SQ, NH and so forth. 

5 hours ago, Thainesss said:

I boycott airlines that have premium economy seats that are the same width as regular economy. 

I also boycott airlines that don't have reverse herringbone seat configurations in business class.  

I boycott the national carriers of countries that have a reputation of being deeply xenophobic. 

8 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

The local bigwigs who frequently fly for free on THAI probably would disagree with this line-up. 

I always fly THAI LHR/BKK about 5 r/T per year in business class or economy. Rarely are there ever any Thais in economy class but business class is almost always majority of Thai passengers (suspect first same). Quite an imbalance. I wonder why... Flying free or on free upgrades perhaps? Or maybe most Thais are really wealthy. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

According to a report in Bangkok Post nobody wants Thai trained pilots either.

I can't imagine why nobody would want pilots who can't speak intelligible English or who have been trained in the world famous elite institutes of Thailand. 

My own limited experience:

No way is Air New Zealand better than Singapore Air or Emirates.

Virgin Atlantic is mediocre at best, last time I flew with them (Business) the plane was old and the interior awful.

EVA better than Thai? You have to be joking.

5 hours ago, Mises said:

My own limited experience:

No way is Air New Zealand better than Singapore Air or Emirates.

Virgin Atlantic is mediocre at best, last time I flew with them (Business) the plane was old and the interior awful.

EVA better than Thai? You have to be joking.

Haven't flown with Virgin for a few years. Do they still have the claustrophobic herring bone seats in UC ?

7 hours ago, windas said:

Flown with many airlines business class, would never fly Finnair ever again, and certainly not Thai Air either.

I used to think that, but last biz class flight with Finnair was superb. New plane, good full flat seat and the cabin crew, while bordering on retirement age, was very friendly and efficient, food excellent. I had to ask if they were actual Finns (I'm one), as good service is not exactly a national trait, or at least didn't use to be. Was very pleasantly surprised. Also their Schengen lounge at Helsinki-Vantaa is brilliant, lots of drink and food options and nice seating.

They've made progress, Thai has plunged into dark ages (literally with their policy to dim the cabin in the day).

15 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Haven't flown with Virgin for a few years. Do they still have the claustrophobic herring bone seats in UC ?

Yes, truly awful. and absolute naff decor.  Spent a lot of time on a stool at the bar to get away from it.

These surveys are about as worthless as a piece of dirty underwear.

People love or hate airlines, but at the end of the day price always trumps everything.

Once you get down to a flight being the same price, then the subjective stuff kicks in.

Always remember the two airlines that never hit these surveys, Southwest and it's European clone Ryanair always figure in the most despised airlines surveys, yet people fly them in droves, and they are two of the most profitable airlines in the world.