Sourdough Bread???

moonseeker

1 hour ago, Dan747 said:

Hey BritManToo,

Thank You for all info-Bought the Morries Breadmaker from Lazada and making your recipe now!! Machine is kind of Noisy, in the resting stage now. I am sure the bread will turn out "GREAT!" Can not wait to experiment with the other settings. Thanks again.

Dan747 

me too ....... 45 minutes left, I usually put it on '4 French Bread' setting.

IMG_20191208_102600.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Dan747 said:

Hey BritManToo,

Thank You for all info-Bought the Morries Breadmaker from Lazada and making your recipe now!! Machine is kind of Noisy, in the resting stage now. I am sure the bread will turn out "GREAT!" Can not wait to experiment with the other settings. Thanks again.

Dan747 

I've had a closer look at the machine and wonder which of the 19  programmes you have chosen? The picture posted by BritManToo looks to me like a crusty English farmhouse loaf, but I don't see an option for that. Did you choose French bread or something else, and how did it turn out? Thanks! 

• Like 1

sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, but not that far off topic;

yesterday I came across (on youtube) a way of baking bread in a skillet and without any kneading or the like,

would like to test that,

it was an American video strip, and they seem to measure flour in cups

how much flour is an American cup of flour?  in grams or oz or centi or deci liters or whatever?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

how much flour is an American cup of flour?  in grams or oz or centi or deci liters or whatever?

240mL but I've nearly always found you need to add more when it's Thai flour. Not same grain I suppose. Eyeball it. I doubt bread without kneading will be good though, kneading is to hydrate and develop the gluten. Some flatbreads might be ok by just letting the dough sit and frying on a pan.

EDIT: Most of the measuring cups I've bought here have 1 cup lines, but could be anything between 200-300mL. Maibpenrai extends to measurements here. I use an electronic kitchen scale if I need to make sure, mostly I go just by eyeballing and feeling the dough.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

My first try on the Morries Breadmaker was #4 French Bread setting and it turned out just like yours BritManToo. I am on #9 Milky Loaf and the Bread did not rise much. Looks like #4 setting is the way to go. Does your Breadmaker make some noise when in the kneading mode?? Also tried to make a Sourdough Starter from scratch and failed twice as I ended up with a pinkish color. I will try again with a different flour.  "Happy Baking!!"    ????  

DSC07986.JPG

Edited by Dan747
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

I am on #9 Milky Loaf and the Bread did not rise much. 

You could try with a Chinese style starter, Japanese and Koreans also use it in their breads. Makes it extra fluffy: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2018/07/23/how-to-convert-a-bread-recipe-to-tangzhong . That program sounds like it's made for tangzhong.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You could try with a Chinese style starter, Japanese and Koreans also use it in their breads. Makes it extra fluffy: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2018/07/23/how-to-convert-a-bread-recipe-to-tangzhong . That program sounds like it's made for tangzhong.

Thanks, I will try it. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

240mL but I've nearly always found you need to add more when it's Thai flour. Not same grain I suppose. Eyeball it. I doubt bread without kneading will be good though, kneading is to hydrate and develop the gluten. Some flatbreads might be ok by just letting the dough sit and frying on a pan.

EDIT: Most of the measuring cups I've bought here have 1 cup lines, but could be anything between 200-300mL. Maibpenrai extends to measurements here. I use an electronic kitchen scale if I need to make sure, mostly I go just by eyeballing and feeling the dough.

thanks, 240 ml is fine with me

never ever tried non-knead before, it was something I came across on youtube,

would like to try it out

(one of the non-knead breads I saw on youtube, made by an American lady,

was baked in an oven at 550 degrees F,

that is pretty HOT)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 11/30/2019 at 11:21 AM, moonseeker said:

Any pointers to a nice crusty sourdough bread, please. I am aware of the BIG C, TOPS etc. ones. Not bad, but always up

for a change. Thank you. MS>

download (2).jpg

hello,

also interested, have you found some lately ?

thank you

On 12/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, DrTuner said:

Good sourdough needs to have a "root", ie. some previous batch leftovers mixed to the next batch. It's because of the microbe buildup, which affects the taste. Some of the best sourdough breads in Finland have a root going back decades. Worth the (long term) effort if you eat it every day or sell it, or regard it as a hobby. 

That brings back memories. We used to have a large ceramic bowl (cylindrical) that we kept our "base" in, covered with a tinfoil lid that was secured to the bowl with a cord.
Whenever the bowl would get down to a third or a quarter from the bottom, dad would add more ingredients, stir it up, put the lid on and stick it back under the shelf.
Got sick of sourdough as that was all we ate. Sourdough bread and sourdough pancakes literally everyday for nearly 5 years.

I haven't tried sourdough here. Not sure how long a "base" would last in the heat and humidity here. I suspect it would go bad rather quickly, assuming you could keep all the bugs out of it as well.

I would find a bakery that does have sourdough and find out when they make it (or where they get it from or when the next batch is delivered) to get "fresher" loaves.

I generally use regular (Kite) all-purpose or the "Swan" bread flour and the yeast that comes in the little bottles. I've found some other yeast in small packages in Foodland, in the same area as the food colourings and artificial flavours. It's really annoying when the yeast comes in one measurement and the recipe(s) use a different one. Grams, mils, teaspoons, "measures", "packages". 
I've got a 500g vacuum sealed package of "Eagle Gold" dry yeast that I bought at Makro (back when everyone else was panic buying toilet paper and eggs, I was stocking up on baking supplies and rice). Haven't tried that yeast yet as I don't want to open the package and then have it sit in the cupboard for months.

A normal mixer with dough hooks and one of those little countertop broiler ovens. Just big enough to fit 2 bread loafs or 1 loaf and 1 tray of rolls.

Once you find a recipe that works, make sure you write it down and don't forget to note things like how long you kneaded the dough, how long you let it rise, what temperature you set your oven at, etc. It seems every time I make bread, even from the same recipe, it comes out differently (and that's before I start playing with the ingredients).

And then, once you have it down pat, play with it. 
Try adding a couple tablespoons of Oregano to the dough when mixing to get an "Italian" loaf (or as I call it, a "pizza" loaf).
Or add a couple teaspoons of ground red chili powder to the dough to get "Chili Bread" (love that stuff). I'll mix a batch and make a bread loaf and some rolls or "sub" loafs.

I've also experimented (a little) with adding some of those artificial flavourings (like the banana flavour) and other things like grated parmesan cheese or garlic salt to the dough.

Keep in mind when adding ingredients, especially anything "salty", that you may have to reduce other ingredients slightly. (Or add more flour). Many seasonings already have salt in them (a lot of salt) so if you add a "salted" seasoning, then you should reduce the normal salt (or not use it at all).

It might have been me, but when I added a lot of grated parmesan to a batch, it didn't seem to add much flavour to the bread. I thought I was adding maybe too much cheese (about half a cup) but couldn't taste it afterwards.

51371507_10156739024109220_5051875906629402624_o.thumb.jpg.29866f7e89ec1f82a20fe0bfd28c84ef.jpg  48388512_10156615628944220_4485900741453545472_o.jpg.d9efbc9d66cc5745f9416f68678fd50c.jpg

My "baking shelf". (Hasn't been getting used a lot lately - too much bread is bad for the belly and I was making too much bread !)
126380072_10158710446019220_8435824138995965015_o.jpg.5a384b9d0d1dd327ee30ddd7fb12d66e.jpg

Edited by Kerryd

For some strange reason, the software keeps resetting the size of the pics back to the original size. I even tried editing the post and resizing the photos again and it still resets them back to original size.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

For some strange reason, the software keeps resetting the size of the pics back to the original size. I even tried editing the post and resizing the photos again and it still resets them back to original size.

The size looks normal to me

6 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

The size looks normal to me

I had downsized them using the forum image editing function and the first 2 pics fit side-by-side (with the first still being taller and the second still being wider) but each time I did it, when I posted/saved the post, they reset to the default size they were when I uploaded them.

Not a huge issue (pun intended) in this case as it is sure to make my creations look even better (hard to pat myself of the back so often) !

(Of course I didn't take pictures of all the times things didn't work out quite as well as hoped. I have ended up with all sorts of "flat bread" that wasn't supposed to be flat.)

• 3 months later...

Back to the subject of Sourdough bread and the search  for it in Pattaya.....

https://kaynutrition.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-sourdough/

REAL Sourdough bread is made of ONLY 3 ingredients---flour, water, and salt, and the starter and nothing else.........This is a lengthy multi-stage process that takes days to complete but produces the most natural (and delicious) form of bread.

Fake Sourdough bread is made with added yeast, ascorbic acid, vinegar and oil. So, although many grocery stores may carry bread labelled “sourdough”, more often than not they are in fact fake sourdough.

Real Sourdough bread has lots more health benefits than other breads.....

So who sells REAL Sourdough bread in Pattaya??

On 3/17/2021 at 9:44 PM, redwood1 said:

Back to the subject of Sourdough bread and the search  for it in Pattaya.....

https://kaynutrition.com/how-to-spot-a-fake-sourdough/

REAL Sourdough bread is made of ONLY 3 ingredients---flour, water, and salt, and the starter and nothing else.........This is a lengthy multi-stage process that takes days to complete but produces the most natural (and delicious) form of bread.

Fake Sourdough bread is made with added yeast, ascorbic acid, vinegar and oil. So, although many grocery stores may carry bread labelled “sourdough”, more often than not they are in fact fake sourdough.

Real Sourdough bread has lots more health benefits than other breads.....

So who sells REAL Sourdough bread in Pattaya??

O Delicious  French Bakery and restaurant  Jomtien Complex plaza, same soi as TBMI Blind Massage, right at end near JC Condo. In menue describing proces of making too

28 minutes ago, tontraveller said:

O Delicious  French Bakery and restaurant  Jomtien Complex plaza, same soi as TBMI Blind Massage, right at end near JC Condo. In menue describing proces of making too

Thanks.......I went there a few days ago.....I talked to the owner, he said all their bead is genuine sourdough....I bought some, the bread was great....

My ants loved it too....I set the bread down for a few minutes and the ants went nuts,they were all over the sourdough bread...

• Haha 1

Just now, redwood1 said:

Thanks.......I went there a few days ago.....I talked to the owner, he said all their bead is genuine sourdough....I bought some, the bread was great....

My ants loved it too....I set the bread down for a few minutes and the ants went nuts,they were all over the sourdough bread...

If ants like it, that means they added loads of sugar.

There's nothing in real sourdough bread that ants would like.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Not sure if they have sourdough but there is a bakery in Soi Bukhao on the left about 200 metres before Pattaya Thai. They have a large selection there and reasonably priced. Can't remember the name but thinking maybe Karl's.

It must be harry ? he is everywhere !

how can someone who is not even French pretend to make good bakeries and bread ?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Not sure if they have sourdough but there is a bakery in Soi Bukhao on the left about 200 metres before Pattaya Thai. They have a large selection there and reasonably priced. Can't remember the name but thinking maybe Karl's.

Not Harry House and Bakery?

5 minutes ago, adexbu said:

how can someone who is not even French pretend to make good bakeries and bread ?

How can anyone who is simply French be presumed to be a good baker.....?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How can anyone who is simply French be presumed to be a good baker.....?

aren't the french the best bakers ?

I never ate anywhere as good bread and bakery that I ate in Paris...

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, adexbu said:

aren't the french the best bakers ?

I never ate anywhere as good bread and bakery that I ate in Paris...

Yes very likely, we need a few on the UK program The Great British Bake Off....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, adexbu said:

Yes probably. Didnt realize it was an old post so I guess the OP is not looking anymore

Slightly off topic, but I was reading on Khaosod English about a Russian couple that are selling high quality sourdough bread in Bangkok. They have set up a cafe bakery called Sourdough Bangkok.

Not sure if it is allowed to post a link, but I will do it anyway and mods can remove if they desire.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2021/03/06/russian-family-bakes-bangkoks-tangiest-sourdough/

On 3/23/2021 at 10:55 AM, Wongkitlo said:

I will check it out and report back....

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 10:55 AM, Wongkitlo said:

Ok I went to the Soi Bukow bakery right next to the market today.....And they DO have sourdough bread....I bought one......I can't vouch for if it's the real deal sourdough........This will take some further investigation....The investigation just was not happening today with the Thai girl working to counter.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1