Military offers some explanations to Thanathorn's queries, mum on wealth of generals

rooster59

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yes he's certainly making himself a target for retribution and especially by confronting apirat, however I admire his bravery to try to get answers to these important questions.

He has been a target for a while.. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes true, though I was on a holliday in Koh Lipe and they asked me if i liked the Thai PM (in a massage shop). I have been there a few years so they know i speak Thai and was with my parents. I know them too so that is how the question arise. So i answered politely "better not to discuss" in Thai. They had to laugh and agreed with me. Many Thais don't seem to like him. Sure there a lot that do if you look at the votes he got (not counting democrats and allies) its still impressive. 

Had a discussion with a lady from Singapore that lived here about corruption and seems both of us dont like it but don't see it going away soon (slowly it is) but its a mentality thing.

It's unfortunate that despite Thaksin being out of politics for many years, many Thais still consider their vote to be pro or anti Thaksin and that's possibly the main reason PP and its allies "won" the election. FF were considered anti-military and therefore pro-Thaksin in many people's eyes. If the electorate could just forget aboiut Thaksin then the results could be different.

Yes, Thaksin was corrupt but I personally believe the incumbents are worse, it's just that they have been allowed to be more discrete.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what he is really asking is why the army does not report to the civilian government, this is the guy this country really needs in the top spot

Just because he is pointing out corruption in the military it doesn't mean he himself would not be corrupt once in power. The military also pointed out corruption in their predecessors.... Your memory doesn't go back long huh?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My guess there is a bullet with his name on it somewhere

Probably more likely an unexplained minor car crash where the driver walks away without a mark but the poor passenger suffers horrendous injuries equivalent to being hit by a speeding train. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacelord said:

First, some facts as reported over there years by this and other other Thai news organizations. The Thai military has more than 3,000 generals. Just generals. Compare that to the US, with a standing military at least four times larger, that has 1,500 generals.

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I just did a Google search and came up with these figures.  There are 1,750 general in the Thai Army compared  to 231 general in the American Army.  

So which is it?

Any citations guys?

• Like 2

The figure of 1700 generals seems to have come from a "letter to the editor" of an English language Thai newspaper. The "official" figures are quoted as 786.

A better contrast would be the UK which has an almost identical population. Its 85!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It's unfortunate that despite Thaksin being out of politics for many years, many Thais still consider their vote to be pro or anti Thaksin and that's possibly the main reason PP and its allies "won" the election. FF were considered anti-military and therefore pro-Thaksin in many people's eyes. If the electorate could just forget aboiut Thaksin then the results could be different.

Yes, Thaksin was corrupt but I personally believe the incumbents are worse, it's just that they have been allowed to be more discrete.

No so sure about your first paragraph.

I've been teaching bachelor students for quite a while, in the run up to the last elections the students were much more open in their political discussions and there was very strong support for Khun Thanathorn because of his policies and his discussions about equal rights, reduce the income gap, equal justice and more. For them Thaksin is ancient history and not mentioned in their discussions. And plenty of these students hail from Essan.

There are of course Essan folks, especially the older folks, who still hang on Thaksin and his 30Baht health care (actually it wasn't his idea at all) and unfortunately many of these folks are still naive about corruption and the damage it has done to Thailand.

One quick example, my Thai family has folks in Essan who still believe 'yes Khun xxx is corrupt but he's a good man, he takes care of his family, his wife has a BMW, so nothing wrong with corruption. 

• Like 2

The old cliche, nothing new to see here! 

But that said there are still currently 98 countries more corrupt then Thailand, so Thailand has a way to go yet to make it to # 1.

And yes, they are well on their way based on the chart below, as it's another growth industry in Thailand.....

Thailand Corruption Ranking - 1995 to 2018.png

• Like 1

Will the Thais ever have the guts,understanding,intelligence  and motivation to take steps to get someone like this guy in charge rather than this regressive,destructive vision deficient regime? Although I think it’s the only answer to the mounting problems the country faces ,if I’m honest I’d probably have to answer No on all counts. What a contrast with HK.

Hear hear ....... interesting news indeed. 

"General Apirat Kongsompong said the military already had a plan to reduce both the number of generals and the size of the military. "

This though will remain classified material since of strategic importance ???? 
"Apirat did not answer the question of the unusual wealth of the generals."

5 hours ago, YetAnother said:

deleted post.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Something wrong with those figures.

81 generals in the NLA holding combined assets of 78 million baht ?

That's less than 1 millions worth of assets per general ?

Do they all live in 2 bedroom terraced houses and pedal bicycles to work?

They probably live in military houses at a low rental and the size of the houses are dependent on the rank and time served.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He insisted that he would like to see the financial statements of all Army race courses and asked why it must be under Army control since it is not the Army’s main mission.

bad news for you Thanathorn, everything and anything in Thailand is under Army/Military control and their main mission is to get their members richer, regardless on how they have to do it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Just because he is pointing out corruption in the military it doesn't mean he himself would not be corrupt once in power. The military also pointed out corruption in their predecessors.... Your memory doesn't go back long huh?

quote "it doesn't mean he himself would not be corrupt once in power."

By the same reasoning it also doesn't mean he will be corrupt either, does it?

1 hour ago, topt said:

So which is it?

Any citations guys?

Mango Bob is correct.